Old 11-12-2005, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

No idea but I'm guessing it's something like Woemsel!

Good try, but hint quite the reverse.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-12-2005, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:
On 10/12/05 17:38, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Ray, who is an Essex
man always laughs about 'posh' people who live in Theydon Bois
because they
insist on pronouncing 'bois' in the French manner. It is pronounced
'boys'
by Essex people!

This is true, and illustrates the adage that a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing. I was (largely) brought up in Essex, and there was a
Theydon Boy in my class. A lot of the placenames there have 'local'
pronunciations - the Rodings, for instance. I've never heard the River
Roding pronounced any way but how it's spelt, thobut the villages are
pronounced 'White Roothing', 'Abbots Roothing', 'High Roothing', 'Leaden
Roothing', and all are spelt '* Roding'...

Ray came from the mercifully unequivocal Upshire.

Ah, we moved to Hornchurch in 1944 from the Surrey/Kent area purely, I
understand, so it would keep my grandmother at arm's length. As the only
child of her only child, who succumbed to the attentions of Mr Hitler in
the summer of 1940, there was a danger that I would be spoilt rotten.

Then the owner of the house we rented put it on the market and we moved
to Corbetts Tey, but at the height of the V1 onslaught the price of the
Hornchurch house was reduced sufficiently for my mother and new
stepfather to purchase it and risk the doodle-bugs - Hornchurch was a
prime target because of the front-line fighter station there.

Much later I commuted daily to Wanstead County High School - a distance
of around ten miles, and made many friends there who came from those
areas of Essex not a thousand miles from Upshire.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-12-2005, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Ray, who is an Essex
man always laughs about 'posh' people who live in Theydon Bois
because they
insist on pronouncing 'bois' in the French manner. It is pronounced
'boys'
by Essex people!

This is true, and illustrates the adage that a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing. I was (largely) brought up in Essex, and there was a
Theydon Boy in my class. A lot of the placenames there have 'local'
pronunciations - the Rodings, for instance. I've never heard the River
Roding pronounced any way but how it's spelt, thobut the villages are
pronounced 'White Roothing', 'Abbots Roothing', 'High Roothing', 'Leaden
Roothing', and all are spelt '* Roding'...

How strange. We lived on the Herts Essex border for nigh on twenty
years and no-one called them 'Roothing'. Perhaps everyone was an
incomer. Just goes to show.

They were well-known as 'Roothing' when I was an anklebiter in Ye Olden
Dayes, and incomers were a rare novelty.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

/kitchen shears/

Hmmmm. I had a few chickens. (For Very Large Values Of 'few')

There's one thing missing from this discussion and that is - I like
spending money on kitchen stuff (necessary or otherwise) and you
probably don't. There! I admitted it

I don't like spending money, full stop. However, I'll do so without
demur if temptation overcomes common-sense or caution.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Yes, but what you expect when so many of the population are Normal
For Norfolk? :-)

'scuse me? - and what about how the Cambridge lot pronounce Cley on the
North Norfolk coast
--
Judith Lea

Old 12-12-2005, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Judith Lea wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Yes, but what you expect when so many of the population are Normal
For Norfolk? :-)

'scuse me? - and what about how the Cambridge lot pronounce Cley on the
North Norfolk coast

I doubt that they do - few will ever have heard of it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
'scuse me? - and what about how the Cambridge lot pronounce Cley on the
North Norfolk coast

I doubt that they do - few will ever have heard of it :-)

Naughty boy!!

--
Judith Lea
Old 12-12-2005, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:56:09 GMT, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote this (or the missive included
this):

Ah, we moved to Hornchurch in 1944 from the Surrey/Kent area purely, I
understand, so it would keep my grandmother at arm's length. As the only
child of her only child, who succumbed to the attentions of Mr Hitler in
the summer of 1940, there was a danger that I would be spoilt rotten.

Then the owner of the house we rented put it on the market and we moved
to Corbetts Tey, but at the height of the V1 onslaught the price of the
Hornchurch house was reduced sufficiently for my mother and new
stepfather to purchase it and risk the doodle-bugs - Hornchurch was a
prime target because of the front-line fighter station there.

Much later I commuted daily to Wanstead County High School - a distance
of around ten miles, and made many friends there who came from those
areas of Essex not a thousand miles from Upshire.

During the last great unpleasantness (39-45) Wanstead County High
School, or a large part of it, was evacuated to Chippenham. As an
evacuee from the blitzes of Bristol I was also evacuated to Chippenhan
and spent my first year in grammar school with them. After one year
I returned to Bristol to Fairfield grammar school and found that on
the same syllabus I was 3 months ahead of the class. And they said I
had a cockney accent!

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹

Bird Seed Feeder OT michael adams United Kingdom 0 10-12-2005 06:15 PM
Bird Seed Feeder Mike United Kingdom 19 29-11-2005 04:53 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
squirrels / bird feeder solution tom Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
squirrels / bird feeder solution Robbin Texas 0 27-03-2003 09:32 PM