Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

--
Mike.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

Incidentally, Wymondham is pronounced 'Windham', although Wymondham in
Leics (I think that's where it is) is pronounced as written.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

I've never heard the street being pronounced other than as written and I've
lived in Norfolk all my life. Mind you, those Norridgers are a law unto
themselves so anything's possible locally!

--
Sue

Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/12/05 14:36, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

I've never heard the street being pronounced other than as written and I've
lived in Norfolk all my life. Mind you, those Norridgers are a law unto
themselves so anything's possible locally!

Pronunciations are a very local matter usually, aren't they? And of course,
the pronunciation of plant names seems to be a very personal one, too.
We've often had 'debates' on here about how people pronounce different
things. My old name used to be Villiers, and the last 'i' is never
pronounced but in South Africa, where there are a lot of people of that
name, it always is! My husband had great fun trying to find Kirkcudbright
when he was pronouncing it as it is spelled. And someone has just kindly
sent us some Crocosmia called 'Culzean Pink'. How was I to know that it's
first name is pronounced 'Killhane'!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-12-2005, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't

think
it makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people
understand you. There are enough people in this world who think

they
are better than others because they were born with a bit of money

and
land that their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years

ago.
[...]

OK, OK, I'm probably as red inside as anybody round here! My interest
is purely linguistic, and I _do_ think it matters how you pronounce
things: I wasn't trying to make some political point. But, if we want
to be political about it, the Oxbridge pronunciation originates in
the illiteracy of our forbears, so you don't have to think of it as
"posh". It's the spelling pronunciation which is élitist, if you care
to look at it that way.

--
Mike.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Sue
writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

I've never heard the street being pronounced other than as written and I've
lived in Norfolk all my life. Mind you, those Norridgers are a law unto
themselves so anything's possible locally!

Ah! Then I have been saying it wrong. However, now that Loose's has
gone, I don't think I shall be visiting it again.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-12-2005, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/12/05 14:49, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
[...]

I don't think I'm red at all, pale pink occasionally, perhaps but as far as
I can see, pronunciations arise as a matter of custom, local accent,
convenience and common usage. It's hard to imagine the land barons getting
together hundreds of years ago and solemnly deciding to confuse the peasants
by playing around with the pronunciations of names! Ray, who is an Essex
man always laughs about 'posh' people who live in Theydon Bois because they
insist on pronouncing 'bois' in the French manner. It is pronounced 'boys'
by Essex people!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
[...]

I didn't actually mention 'posh'. There are always people in this world
ready to trip you up, including a couple in this ng, who shall be
nameless. I have learned to avoid them in the same way I avoid
confrontation on the pronunciation front, unless of course, someone has
a nasty dig at my northern accent, and then it's dooks up all round
--
June Hughes
Old 10-12-2005, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , June Hughes
writes
I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

It's Magdalen as in Mary Magdalen

--
Judith Lea
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

Pronunciations are a very local matter usually, aren't they? And of

course,
the pronunciation of plant names seems to be a very personal one, too.
We've often had 'debates' on here about how people pronounce different
things. My old name used to be Villiers, and the last 'i' is never
pronounced but in South Africa, where there are a lot of people of that
name, it always is! My husband had great fun trying to find Kirkcudbright
when he was pronouncing it as it is spelled. And someone has just kindly
sent us some Crocosmia called 'Culzean Pink'. How was I to know that
it's first name is pronounced 'Killhane'!

The "z" in Culzeal as in many Scottish names - Menzies, "Dalziel" in
"Dalziel and Pascoe" often represents the archaic letter yogh.

quote

yogh /jg/ n. ME. [Origin unkn.] The letter , originally a loose writing
of g in Old English but developing in Middle English as a distinct letter
to represent a palatal semivowel (/j/) initially and medially, a voiced
velar or palatal fricative medially, and a voiceless velar or palatal
fricative medially and finally. In later Middle English it was replaced
by silent gh, y, and medial and final w. The letter z in some Scottish
words (now chiefly place-names and surnames), such as Menzies /--/,
Kirkgunzeon /--/, is an adaptation of yogh.

Oxford English Dictionary C/D
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

/quote

Although quite how you get "Killhane" out of that little lot, is
another matter. I'm still working on "Dalziel" and "Menzies" myself.

michael adams

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Judith Lea
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

It's Magdalen as in Mary Magdalen

Yes, I have discovered that now from Sue. I shall remember in future.
We used to visit Cambridge frequently and there it is 'Maudlin'.
Strange.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I love Loose's shop, although their big shop closed down.

Who's Lucy?

Is Loose's a shop I ought to know about?

Not unless you are into cooking and stuff like that. It's in a small
yard, up a short alley, next to a cafe, set behind the road across from
Debenhams. A lovely, light building with lots of glass. Was taken over
by some of the staff (not gospel but something of the sort) earlier this
year. The manager there is extremely helpful and they sell some lovely
things.

Well, I'm into cooking and stuff like that: indeed, I am molishing large
quantities of pressed ham and chicken ATM, from bacon hocks and chicken
carcases from which the breasts, thighs and drumsticks have been
removed. (the village butcher keeps the latter for me, gratis.)

A by-product is stock which you can carve when cold, and chunks of which
bounce...

I know the place. Most of the stuff doesn't go with the kitchen in my
end of terrace onetime farmworker's cottage innit. I didn't unforget
that was its name thobut.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/12/05 15:55, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , June Hughes
writes
I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

It's Magdalen as in Mary Magdalen

Maudlin in Oxford and Magdalen in Cambridge, is what I've always heard.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
They used to have a big shop in Magdalen Street,

[...]

OT, but out of curiosity, is that pronounced as written, or in the
Oxbridge "Maudlin" way?

Pronounced locally as written.

I say 'Maudlin' but it could be pronounced as written. I don't think it
makes any difference how you pronounce it as long as people understand
you. There are enough people in this world who think they are better
than others because they were born with a bit of money and land that
their ancestors stole from Jo Public hundreds of years ago.

That's rather an esoteric aside, isn't it?

Incidentally, Wymondham is pronounced 'Windham', although Wymondham in
Leics (I think that's where it is) is pronounced as written.

Yes, but then Norkies have a habit of confusing the rest of the world -
cue Stiffkey, Happisburgh, Tacolneston, Costessy and others.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
Menzies is a bit trickier. I've heard some Scots pronounce it
Minnus, but most include the faintest hint of a hard g in the
middle, Minn(g) us. (would that be the palatal fricative above? )
Hence, men with the forename Menzies are sometimes abbreviated to
nickname Ming (like the politician Menzies Campbell, always known as
Ming Campbell). Abbreviation Ming definitely has a harder more
definite G, as in sing. It's never Minn.

[...]

The late unlamented PM of Oz, "Sir" Robert Menzies, once tried to get
his name pronounced the Scots way; but the cartoonists responded by
drawing him as an oriental villain called "Ming", so he gave it up.
Should never have tried flogging that pig-iron to Japan!

--
Mike.

Bird Seed Feeder OT michael adams United Kingdom 0 10-12-2005 06:15 PM
Bird Seed Feeder Mike United Kingdom 19 29-11-2005 04:53 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
squirrels / bird feeder solution tom Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
squirrels / bird feeder solution Robbin Texas 0 27-03-2003 09:32 PM