Old 29-11-2005, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default 'Seven Sisters' rose

Can't remember if I've asked this before but can anyone help me identify
this? It's in full bloom very late in the year down here, is a small
flowered double rose, mid pink, rather the size of Cecile Bruner, very
healthy foliage in our SW climate and rambler type I would guess. An old
lady we know badly wants one but knows it only by that name and says she's
known it from her girlhood (she's 88) I suppose I could pluck up my courage
and knock on the door of the house that has it tumbling over the
wall.....but we'd still like to know what its proper name is!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Can't remember if I've asked this before but can anyone help me identify
this? It's in full bloom very late in the year down here, is a small
flowered double rose, mid pink, rather the size of Cecile Bruner, very
healthy foliage in our SW climate and rambler type I would guess. An old
lady we know badly wants one but knows it only by that name and says she's
known it from her girlhood (she's 88) I suppose I could pluck up my

courage
and knock on the door of the house that has it tumbling over the
wall.....but we'd still like to know what its proper name is!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacha~~ What do you mean by 'It's proper name'?
There is a rose as you described with that name. So-called due to the
number of colours possible in each bloom- I believe. Probably Chinese
origin but very popular in the US.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 29-11-2005, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 19:10, in article ,
"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Thanks, Brian, I didn't know of that at all. The neighbour who wants it
said she thought it was an old and probably not 'proper' name. I haven't
stopped to look at the one on the nearby house but I'll do so tomorrow.
Simply in driving past it, it looks as if it's all one colour pink bloom.
But the Chinese rose idea certainly fits. I'll try to remember to take a
photograph of it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-11-2005, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/11/05 11:14, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

I grew this many years ago, so can provide a bit of info about it.
Surprisingly (or otherwise) it is not a hybrid, but a variety of Rosa
multiflora more correctly known as Rosa multiflora 'Platyphylla'. It
was one of the many varieties cultivated by the Chinese for centuries
before arriving in England via France at the start of the 19th.
century. The offspring from multifloras (they were very willing to
pollinate and be pollinated) were called dubbed Rosa polyantha and for
many years, the precursors of the floribunda roses were known as
'polyanthas'. Rosa multifloras is well know for its ability to change
and we can thank the species for miniatures as well as being the most
likely influence to provide a 'blue rose'.

snip

David, next time you come to us, it's on your left, just past the village
green (and the pub!) There are the houses fronting the green, two of which
are quite new and the older one which was the shop. Behind them is a very
old farmhouse. It's scrambling over the wall of the farmhouse, beside the
road. I'll try to get a better look at it today but the weather is not very
conducive to 'botanising'! I could probably ask the owners for some
cuttings but if it's a very old specimen, it might not 'do' very well, so
I'll see if I can find it elsewhere, too.
Many thanks for this.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/11/05 11:22, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 30/11/05 11:14, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

[...]

I had a closer look at this rose today and it is indeed a very small
flowered one. The open flowers had all been ruined by rain and I couldn't
therefore, tell what colour/s they would be. The buds still there seemed to
be quite a bluey pink, I would say.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/12/05 11:37, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

snip

I had a closer look at this rose today and it is indeed a very small
flowered one. The open flowers had all been ruined by rain and I couldn't
therefore, tell what colour/s they would be. The buds still there seemed to
be quite a bluey pink, I would say.

My apologies, I intended to tack this on, which I found on an American site
showing pics of the rose:
"'Seven Sisters', is is a vigorous once-blooming climbing rose that is
frequently found in old gardens and homesites throughout the southern United
States.

The origin of the name of this unusual rose comes from its tendency to
display multiple colors of flowers in a single cluster of blooms. The
appearance of the many-colored blossoms suggests that multiple types of
roses are growing together.

'Seven Sisters' is an old oriental rose that is thought to have been brought
from Japan to Europe in 1816. The name may be a translation from the
Japanese, but there are usually more than seven blossoms in each cluster"
http://tinyurl.com/8w5go
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 1/12/05 13:10, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

The origin of the name of this unusual rose comes from its tendency to
display multiple colors of flowers in a single cluster of blooms. The
appearance of the many-colored blossoms suggests that multiple types of
roses are growing together.

Ah another outbreak of alliteration and since there is the Seven
Sisters constellation (AKA The Pleiades), why not a Seven Sisters
rose? Six sisters doesn't quite cut it and any other number is
pointless.

'Seven Sisters' is an old oriental rose that is thought to have been brought
from Japan to Europe in 1816.

No it was definitely China and (now having checked my old books) it
arrived in England in 1815 and was offered for sale a year later. Its
arrival in France is uncertain, but the general consensus seems to be
about 4 or 5 years earlier. It was supposed to be a favourite of
Empress Josephine and she grew it at Malmaison, so the dates more or
less tally. Despite significant aggressions on either side of the
English Channel, there was quite a lot of rose trade between the two
countries. We beat the French at war, but they usually beat us to it
when it came to the introduction of new roses from the far east.

Thanks, David. Did you look at the photographs and if so, did it seem to be
the one you know - even allowing for colour variations in the photos!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk