Old 17-12-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Default Planting bulbs on a late Winter's afternoon (this is ratherlong, so be warned.....it's been awhile)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Sorry, M, this group is very strictly text only. Lots of UK posters
are on dial-up connections, paying for every call. Virtually every UK
isp would strip out your post from their newsfeed. It's an even bigger
no-no here than on rec.gardens.

Janet

which explains why you didn't get the picture I sent to you of the corydalis
that is blooming at the absolute wrong time of the
year..............................
maddie

Old 17-12-2005, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Sue" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
from "Sue"
As a by the bye, none of madgardener's posts are showing up on my isp's
server. I only realised when replies appeared, and I see someone else
has noticed the same. The posts -do- appear via readfreenews though. I
asked my ISP about missing articles but so far they claim it's either my
newsreader settings (it isn't) or that the posts must be filtered
because of spam or a virus (can't see why they would be).

Is your newsreader set to reject posts which are more than a certain
number of lines long? M's are usually long.

No, it's not that, even her shorties were missing. I found I could see
them
all if I d/l the group via the freebie readfreenews server. All I can
think
is that Plusnet's server is excluding them, or otherwise not picking them
up for some reason. They plead ignorance but I've asked them to look into
it because it's annoying having to crosscheck servers just in case.

--
Sue

I appreciate your persistance in hunting down me posts, Sue. I have every
type of filter and spam and virus protection there can possibly be. So I
know I'm clean......plus Microsoft regularly binds up my files with
"updates" so I'll be further protected. Of course, I don't even know if
you'll be able to see THIS! sigh.....
maddie

Old 17-12-2005, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Makes me think of that line in Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop
Café. "older, richer, more insurance". ;-) (Just to get us back to
horticulture, of course!)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

one of my favorite books AND movies......LOVE Fannie Flagg. She has a new
book, by the way. And another one, is (despite it being a bit weepy) is
Steel Magnolia's and Driving Miss Daisy. That that doesn't kill us only
serves to make us stronger. I figured out the twist early in Fried Green
Tomato's (and then bought the book) because I knew how people did things in
the South. And yes, I DO make bodacious fried green tomato's. there is an
ART to making them properly.
maddie

Old 17-12-2005, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default OT in a big way so switch off if it bothers you: (was Planting bulbs on a late Winter's afternoon)

On 17/12/05 19:29, in article , "madgardener"
wrote:

Makes me think of that line in Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop
Café. "older, richer, more insurance". ;-) (Just to get us back to
horticulture, of course!)

one of my favorite books AND movies......LOVE Fannie Flagg. She has a new
book, by the way. And another one, is (despite it being a bit weepy) is
Steel Magnolia's and Driving Miss Daisy. That that doesn't kill us only
serves to make us stronger. I figured out the twist early in Fried Green
Tomato's (and then bought the book) because I knew how people did things in
the South. And yes, I DO make bodacious fried green tomato's. there is an
ART to making them properly.

I don't think fried green tomatoes are a big 'thing' in UK but maybe they
should be, given how many of our tomatoes don't ripen in our
not-great-summers. But Driving Miss Daisy and Steel Magnolias are among my
all time favourite films, along with Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino and
Baghdad Café.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

Yes I did thanks; you sent it to my email address, not the newsgroup.

Janet

sorry, brain fart............
maddie

Old 18-12-2005, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 17/12/05 19:29, in article , "madgardener"
I don't think fried green tomatoes are a big 'thing' in UK but maybe they
should be, given how many of our tomatoes don't ripen in our
not-great-summers.

To do that would require a good cornmeal and some all purpose flour....and
they can't be TOO green.

But Driving Miss Daisy and Steel Magnolias are among my
all time favourite films, along with Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino and
Baghdad Café.

Haven't seen Cinema Paradiso I believe, and Il Postino, but have seen
Baghdad Cafe', that was interesting. one of my off the wall movies I adore
is Saving Grace..........it cracks me up. I need to laugh g there are too
many movies I really like now to list. it's one of the things we indulge
in, or maybe it's distraction from things that should concern me. but I
appreciate good acting and a good plot and nice details.

ouch, the kitten decided to attack my braid and she dug into my shoulder and
upper left arm, gotta go put some alcohol and neosporin on it before it trys
to get cat scratch fever.

E-mail me sometime and clue me in on what you garden and where. I'm always
facinated. off to disinfect meself!
maddie

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"madgardener" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 17/12/05 19:29, in article , "madgardener"
I don't think fried green tomatoes are a big 'thing' in UK but maybe they
should be, given how many of our tomatoes don't ripen in our
not-great-summers.

To do that would require a good cornmeal and some all purpose flour....and
they can't be TOO green.

But us mad englishmen have no idea what 'cornmeal' is!

Or 'all purpose flour' we have plain flour, and self raising flour.

Alan

Old 18-12-2005, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Alan Holmes wrote:
"madgardener" wrote in message

[...]
To do that would require a good cornmeal and some all purpose
flour....and they can't be TOO green.

But us mad englishmen have no idea what 'cornmeal' is!

Or 'all purpose flour' we have plain flour, and self raising flour.

There's a translation in most of the cookery books we get but don't
need. Anyhow, whichever way you slice them (or cook or pickle or
chutney the damn' things), green tomatoes are rubbish. "Hey, I've
just found this wonderful recipe for green plums!" -- no, me joko;
Archangel Gabriel, more likely, no?

--
Mike.