Old 19-12-2005, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Tools value?

Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries if
they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 19-12-2005, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries

if
they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Bob this is terrible. Read your home 'and' your car insurance policy with
care. I feel that they are insured 'somewhere' and that you can claim, but
that does not include the 'sentimental value' of the spade left to you by
Uncle George :-((

I taught in one of the prisons here on the Isle of Wight and many times it
was stated 'well they can claim on their insurance'. One then went on to say
that a Stamp Album stolen by his 'accomplices' at the same time was 'too
hot' and was put on the bonfire :-((

Having been involved with this scum, I would tighten the law despite what
the likes of NACRO and the other 'do gooders' say.

Mike
Now I do know that this WILL open a can of worms :-((

Old 19-12-2005, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries
if they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

You have my sympathy.
I hope none of those particular tools were "old friends" of sentimental
value.
On the positive side you will end up with bright shiny new gear with
pristine wellies.

Old 19-12-2005, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Mike wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Ah yes, theft.
I remember an odd one. My van got broken into one night and though
quite well packed with garden tools & machinery (though not easily
unentangled) almost nothing was taken.
Still, in order to comply with my insurance policy I duly reported the
incident to the police. The conversation went something like this;
me; I'm here to report that my van was broken into.
Police; What was taken?
me; erm, well, it's not so much what was taken as what was left behind!
Police; (not even looking confused) and what was that?
me; an empty box of chocolates. Not mine, I hadn't left one in the van.
They had brought it themselves, scoffed the lot and didn't even leave
me one!

Old 19-12-2005, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"June Hughes" wrote after...
Bob Hobden cried
Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries
if
they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

Poor you, Bob. And after all the trouble with the allotment earlier this
year. I hope you can make a claim on your insurance.

Thank you for your comments, all of you.

Well, 'tis true, gardening wise this year has not been too good because of
vandals and thieves but we take a gardeners attitude to these things,
there's always next year to look forward to. A new allotment on a different
site and it looks like a new old van with new tools.

I think I'm insured through my motor insurance but one never knows for
certain until you make a claim and they point out a little sentence in the
small print you missed or miss-interpreted. I can see a battle over the
value of the van though, it was a 1987 but had only done 48,800 miles.

My point was...... most people are like us, collected tools over the years,
but when you go to price replacements in one hit the cost is frightening.
Do a bit of surfing and price up your own stuff, including the small bits,
because those £5's and £10's soon mount up.

Old 19-12-2005, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote after
"Bob Hobden"cried
Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries
if
they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

Oh, Bob, how truly awful. You must be absolutely sick. Someone broke
into
a shed here and walked off with a hedge cutter a few years ago and it was
horrid to discover that next day, so I do sympathise with you. I think
all
too many people have no idea of what their belongings would cost them if
they had to replace them from scratch. We all tend to know the value of
the
costly things but forget something as simple as replacing the wellies or
the
forks and spades or saucepans or fridges! I would like to think that
every
damned thing planted with your stolen goods fails miserably!

I don't think the van was stolen for it's contents but expect they wanted
the vehicle for break-up value and spares, it's what happens to old
Landrovers as there is a ready market, the tools etc I'm sure will just be
dumped which is very sad.

Old 19-12-2005, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:52:24 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

Bob, commiserations. You have had a tough time, first the allotment
and now this. I hope you will find you are covered.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-12-2005, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 19/12/05 23:07, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after
"Bob Hobden"cried
[...]

Yes, it is. Both contingencies are very sad. I used to have an old Land
Rover about which I was sentimental and now I own some old planes (woodwork
type, not jets!) among which is one my adored grandfather used. It has his
initials on it, put there by him and I treasure it. There's something about
well used, well loved tools that is special - there's a real connection with
them because of the good, honest hard work they've done and that they
represent. I suppose this is another thing urglers could do - burn their
initials into the wooden handles, spokes, shafts of their gardening tools. A
few years ago, a blacksmith made me a long-shafted iron letter 'S' which I
heated and used to burn my initial into some wooden garden furniture.
I am so sorry that you've lost these well used and loved treasures. It's a
real brute for you and a nasty thing to get over.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-12-2005, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
My point was...... most people are like us, collected tools over the
years, but when you go to price replacements in one hit the cost is
frightening.
Do a bit of surfing and price up your own stuff, including the small
bits, because those £5's and £10's soon mount up.

I had to do a similar excercise for our work insurance a few months
ago. This was the first time I'd done it since we got mechanised with
tractors and large mowers in addition to all the hand tools and odds'n
sods. The result is terrifying - I'm not publishing the figures,
suffice it to say there's a lot of digits.
Insurance or no insurance it's sad to lose old tools though especially
when you know they'll probably be dumped or misused.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 20-12-2005, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Bob Hobden wrote:
"June Hughes" wrote after...
Bob Hobden cried
[...]

Yes, too true. As mentioned earlier, I had a breck-in once involving
chocolates (dairy milk, as it so happens)
However, several years later there was a second break in, this time
inspite of beefing up security considerably.
I found two problems.
1) Many of the odds and sods had been collected over the years and were
no longer available,
2) of those that were available, I could only claim on their value at
time of theft, rather than any kind of old-for-new exchange via
insurance.
Just by way of example, a scew driver may not cost much, so how much
less a 20 year old one?
The most significant issue was that my tool boxs went too. Someone had
once referred to one of them as being like a majic box on account of
how often just-the -right-tool-for-the -ob could be found therein. It
had usually being a case of "Let's see if we can find something in it
to suit"
Trying to remember everything in that box was a problem.
Worse still was the following months when on finding myself in a fix
over something or other, I'd remember that I had just the right tool
for it.... and then realise... nope, not anymore!
That I suggest will be the biggest problem you will face and it can get
quite difficult to deal with at times.

Old 20-12-2005, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" mentioned

My point was...... most people are like us, collected tools over the
years,
but when you go to price replacements in one hit the cost is frightening.
Do a bit of surfing and price up your own stuff, including the small
bits,
because those £5's and £10's soon mount up.

Sorry to hear about that Bob.

The good news is, the price of stainless steel tools is lower than
ever before. For rakes and secateurs etc (none- ss) I've been very
pleased with a make called Senator (oldfashioned wooden handles, very
comfortable to use).

Thanks, but Sh1t happens!
I've seen that make you mention at Moss End GC, I'm sure, perhaps I should
take a closer look idc. Thanks.
However, most of my tools will be replaced with the Wolf Multitool System,
I've been bleating on about their Push Pull Weeder being the best weeding
hoe ever for years ( and notice the RHS and Kew now use them) and the other
stuff in their range that I've used is pretty good too.

Old 25-12-2005, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Do you know the true replacement value of your garden tools and sundries
if they get stolen?

We have had our Landrover 90 (defender) van stolen from outside our house
with all our allotment tools on board last night. Spent the day costing
replacements for everything we can remember was on-board....£726. !!!!
Frightening isn't it.
Wellies (3 pairs) alone came to £105.

Got home late last night to find a message on the answerphone from the
Police to say my Landrover has been found in Slough because the thief left
the window open and someone reported it as insecure. It's in a pound 'till
Tuesday but the driver that took it in says it's OK as far as he could tell
and there is some stuff in the back but he couldn't say what. So we will
have to wait to see what's left, and what damage has been done, fingers
crossed.

Old 25-12-2005, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Got home late last night to find a message on the answerphone from the
Police to say my Landrover has been found in Slough because the thief left
the window open and someone reported it as insecure. It's in a pound 'till
Tuesday but the driver that took it in says it's OK as far as he could

tell
and there is some stuff in the back but he couldn't say what. So we will
have to wait to see what's left, and what damage has been done, fingers
crossed.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

So it has sort of turned out to be a 'Happy Christmas' :-))

Well done, pleased for you

Mike

Old 25-12-2005, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

What good news, Bob. Looks like they just 'borrowed' it. Great. Hope
all your tools are still there.
--
June Hughes