Old 12-01-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Citric acid and sodium bicarbonate when mixed as solids do not react.
Andrews liver salts /Alka-Seltzer the above mixture only fizz with water.

Try keeping 'liver salts'sealed for a couple of years and then look at
them. I came across some in a tightly-sealed tin and stirred a spoonful
into some water, and it barely fizzed.

If it had got damp enough for it to react in the normal way, it would
have been caked solid, and the lid would have been blown off long before
that.

Only a tiny amount of moisture needs to be present, and it will exchange
ions surreptitiously, and you'll be none the wiser until you come to use
your 'remedy'. (Which in fact is not particularly good for you anyway -
any good the citrate does you is likely to be offset by the sodium.)

Indolebutyric acid/Naphthylacetic acid are stable and do not react.

I don't know if you're right, or how stable is 'stable', and whether
that stability remains so in the presence of acidic magnesium hydrated
silicate.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-01-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Stick to computing your Khemistry is not good enough:-)

Inorganic bit
The composition of fizzy stomach cure things works on the fact that the
solution is alkaline and neutralises stomach acidity.
The citic/bicarbonate mix contains excess bicarbonate hence the resultant
drink is alkaline and does its work.

Organic bit
Under normal conditions (but excluding light) the hormone rooting mixture we
are discussing will last indefinately even in the presence of hydrared
magnesium silicate. The only ingredient that may cause problems is any
fungicide in the mix (I have no knowledge of that)

Old 13-01-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Stick to computing your Khemistry is not good enough:-)

Inorganic bit
The composition of fizzy stomach cure things works on the fact that the
solution is alkaline and neutralises stomach acidity.
The citic/bicarbonate mix contains excess bicarbonate hence the resultant
drink is alkaline and does its work.

And how does this differ from what I wrote?

Organic bit
Under normal conditions (but excluding light) the hormone rooting
mixture we
are discussing will last indefinately even in the presence of hydrared
magnesium silicate. The only ingredient that may cause problems is any
fungicide in the mix (I have no knowledge of that)

Why does it carry a 'use by' date?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-01-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Stick to computing your Khemistry is not good enough:-)

Inorganic bit
The composition of fizzy stomach cure things works on the fact that the
solution is alkaline and neutralises stomach acidity.
The citic/bicarbonate mix contains excess bicarbonate hence the resultant
drink is alkaline and does its work.

And how does this differ from what I wrote?

I thought you were inferring the citric acid cancelled the bicarb in term s
of alkalinity.

Organic bit
Under normal conditions (but excluding light) the hormone rooting
mixture we
are discussing will last indefinately even in the presence of hydrared
magnesium silicate. The only ingredient that may cause problems is any
fungicide in the mix (I have no knowledge of that)

Why does it carry a 'use by' date?

Some don't (as per original post by thesquire) but I suppose these days
most things carriy a use before date. It helps stock rotation.
Just had a look at salt , olive oil and asprin all of which have expiry
dates and none of these have any shelf life problems.

Let's get back to discussing Linux:-)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 13-01-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

I thought you were inferring the citric acid cancelled the bicarb in term s
of alkalinity.

No, I was just saying that the good (vitamin) that citric acid may do
might be outweighed by the (alleged) ill that sodium may do.

Organic bit
Under normal conditions (but excluding light) the hormone rooting
mixture we
are discussing will last indefinately even in the presence of hydrared
magnesium silicate. The only ingredient that may cause problems is any
fungicide in the mix (I have no knowledge of that)

Why does it carry a 'use by' date?

Some don't (as per original post by thesquire) but I suppose these days
most things carriy a use before date. It helps stock rotation.
Just had a look at salt , olive oil and asprin all of which have expiry
dates and none of these have any shelf life problems.

No, but these are foods, and the EU in its 'wisdom' requires a sell-by
date. I've noticed that old olive oil (use-by dates hold no thrall over
me, either) tends to solidify at a higher and higher temperature as it
ages, even when the bottle has been sealed.

In the late 1990s we were still eating jam my mother made in the '60s.

True, some of it had to be microwaved for a while to redissolve the
rocks of crystalline sugar which had grown...

Let's get back to discussing Linux:-)

I've got a distro which runs from a floppy...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 13-01-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

In the late 1990s we were still eating jam my mother made in the '60s.

A far cry from the "refrigerate once opened" nonsense sold by today's
supermarkets.

-- Kay
Old 13-01-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Snip
Let's get back to discussing Linux:-)

I've got a distro which runs from a floppy...

Yes and it's brill --a Geek type bunged it on my laptop without me knowing
and frightened the ship(sp) out of me .

I can guarantee you will never ever ever get a BSOD if you follow this:-
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/bsodchange.htm

Old 13-01-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge 2
writes

In the late 1990s we were still eating jam my mother made in the '60s.

A far cry from the "refrigerate once opened" nonsense sold by today's
supermarkets.

-- Kay

Shush don't educate everyone. I save a fortune buying near expiry goods from
the local supermarkets and agree with my neighbours that once it's gone past
the sell by date they should clear their cupboards and give the offending
goods to me for safe disposal.

Old 14-01-2006, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Snip
Let's get back to discussing Linux:-)

I've got a distro which runs from a floppy...

Yes and it's brill --a Geek type bunged it on my laptop without me knowing
and frightened the ship(sp) out of me .

Tom's?

I've Knoppix on live CD and I'm just about to burn the latest Ubantu,
and there's Debian in a tray, and Mempis ready to play with if/when I
feel like installing it. (Also got a lot of old distros, including FT,
which I've had for yonks - S.u.S.E. was developed from FT.)

I can guarantee you will never ever ever get a BSOD if you follow this:-
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/bsodchange.htm

I try to avoid them, though I have got a Beemer...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 14-01-2006, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:
wrote in message
In message , Rusty
Hinge 2
writes

In the late 1990s we were still eating jam my mother made in the '60s.

A far cry from the "refrigerate once opened" nonsense sold by today's
supermarkets.

-- Kay

Shush don't educate everyone. I save a fortune buying near expiry
goods from
the local supermarkets and agree with my neighbours that once it's
gone past
the sell by date they should clear their cupboards and give the offending
goods to me for safe disposal.

Seconded.

I picked up a couple of black puddings - the whole horseshoe wossnames -
in a supermarket some time ago - marked down to 10p each.

I got to the checkout about a minute past midnight and they wouldn't
sell them to me: they were past their sell-by date, and that was it.. So
I offered to dispose of them without charge to save them the trouble,
but they weren't having any of it.

And nor was I. Sniff!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 3 09-03-2005 12:43 AM
rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 0 08-03-2005 02:33 AM
Hormone rooting compound ? Sla#s United Kingdom 2 03-02-2005 09:40 PM
rooting hormone WiGard Gardening 5 01-02-2004 02:46 PM
Shelf liife of rooting hormone Franz Heymann United Kingdom 26 24-08-2003 05:03 PM