Old 14-01-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Bennett

Default Bonsai trees

i have a couple of Bonsai trees that have lost their leaves. Are there
deciduous Bonsai trees and do they lose their leave indoors

janet

Old 14-01-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Bennett wrote:
i have a couple of Bonsai trees that have lost their leaves. Are there
deciduous Bonsai trees and do they lose their leave indoors

Yes. However, you have probably bought or been given those "bonsai"
as house plants when they are not suitable - most of the ones sold
in the gimmicky tat-shops (e.g. "garden centres" and supermarkets)
fall into that category.

The first step is to identify the species. Please post a description,
or use a label if you have one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-01-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Bennett wrote:
i have a couple of Bonsai trees that have lost their leaves. Are there
deciduous Bonsai trees and do they lose their leave indoors

Yes. However, you have probably bought or been given those "bonsai"
as house plants when they are not suitable - most of the ones sold
in the gimmicky tat-shops (e.g. "garden centres" and supermarkets)
fall into that category.

The first step is to identify the species. Please post a description,
or use a label if you have one.

I have a couple of trees I bonsai'd myself but they live outside as I
understood that they weren't to be kept indoors.

Old 14-01-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 14/1/06 10:02, in article , "Janet
Bennett" wrote:

i have a couple of Bonsai trees that have lost their leaves. Are there
deciduous Bonsai trees and do they lose their leave indoors

Bonsai trees do everything normal trees do, I think. I do know that true
Bonsai aficionados will tell you that they should not be kept indoors
because they really are trees, even if tiny. This group might be able to
help you: rec.arts.bonsai

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Depends on the species Sacha. There are lots of trees that can live
quite happily indoors, unfortunately none that come from any where other
than the tropics.

Its vital that the poster find out what these trees are. A swift
description of the leaves prior to them falling off may help.

If it turns out it is a serissa foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) and
they are often are sold as simply "Bonsai" then chances are its lost by
now. I`ve had 4 and never managed to keep one alive. And yes it is
indoors in this country.

I wish people did`nt give them as presents as most recipeants will not
know how to look after them with the minimal instructions they get with
the tree. Nice marketing though.

Chris

Old 15-01-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Bennett" wrote:

i have a couple of Bonsai trees that have lost their leaves. Are there
deciduous Bonsai trees and do they lose their leave indoors

Bonsai trees do everything normal trees do, I think. I do know that true
Bonsai aficionados will tell you that they should not be kept indoors
because they really are trees, even if tiny. This group might be able to
help you: rec.arts.bonsai

Depends on the species Sacha. There are lots of trees that can live
quite happily indoors, unfortunately none that come from any where other
than the tropics.

I have never bought one but imagine those are what are sold in garden
centres and the like? To me, I must admit the mind goes immediately to oak,
larch etc. as Bonsai which are to be treated as outdoor trees.

Its vital that the poster find out what these trees are. A swift
description of the leaves prior to them falling off may help.

If it turns out it is a serissa foetida (Tree of a thousand stars) and
they are often are sold as simply "Bonsai" then chances are its lost by
now. I`ve had 4 and never managed to keep one alive. And yes it is
indoors in this country.

I wish people did`nt give them as presents as most recipeants will not
know how to look after them with the minimal instructions they get with
the tree. Nice marketing though.

I think a lot of people who get them think of them as just another kind of
house plant.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-01-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Depends on the species Sacha. There are lots of trees that can live
quite happily indoors, unfortunately none that come from any where other
than the tropics.

I have a bonsai elder which has survived two years indoors. It will
probably go out in the spring, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-01-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Depends on the species Sacha. There are lots of trees that can live
quite happily indoors, unfortunately none that come from any where other
than the tropics.

I have a bonsai elder which has survived two years indoors. It will
probably go out in the spring, though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

But Rusty, you have to admit you`ve a rather good set of green fingers.
And elder are much less fussy than the serissa usually sold as Bonsai.

Worst one I have ever seen is a privet sold in B & Q. Completely ill
equipped to live in the store let alone in a house!!!!
Old 16-01-2006, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I have a bonsai elder which has survived two years indoors. It will
probably go out in the spring, though.

But Rusty, you have to admit you`ve a rather good set of green fingers.
And elder are much less fussy than the serissa usually sold as Bonsai.

Yes, I really must give them a scrub sometime, *AND* stop picking my
nose. Andbut I was referring to the statement that there are no British
trees suitable for all-year indoor bonsai. I would agree though, that
very few are suited to it, but as my house is not centrally heated, I
suppose you could hardly class it as indoors?

BTW, would you like some seeds of sweet tamarind - I think they are a
different variety from the ones you had before.

Worst one I have ever seen is a privet sold in B & Q. Completely ill
equipped to live in the store let alone in a house!!!!

Privet? Hmmmm. I wonder how good leylandii would be for a bonsai tree?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-01-2006, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But Rusty, you have to admit you`ve a rather good set of green fingers.
And elder are much less fussy than the serissa usually sold as Bonsai.

Worst one I have ever seen is a privet sold in B & Q. Completely ill
equipped to live in the store let alone in a house!!!!

It occurred to me to wonder how warm Rusty keeps his house, too.

breaks icicle off nose

Good question.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-01-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But Rusty, you have to admit you`ve a rather good set of green fingers.
And elder are much less fussy than the serissa usually sold as Bonsai.

Worst one I have ever seen is a privet sold in B & Q. Completely ill
equipped to live in the store let alone in a house!!!!

It occurred to me to wonder how warm Rusty keeps his house, too.

breaks icicle off nose

Good question.

My boiler blew on Thursday and is being repaired now :-)

Yes, I agree with the comments. It is plants like pomegranate
that could be grown as bonsai house plants, and I may try and
see if it can take the root constraints. Low humidity? Don't
make it laugh ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-01-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

[...]

Seeds always accepted. Never refuse a gift is my motto.

Leylandi would make an interesting subject. If giant redwoods make good
Bonsai then why cant leylandi???

And yus, no central heating would help the elder no end. /me should
remember to make the heating proviso in future. (Harry Tomlinsons book
does!)