Old 28-01-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Death of Christopher Lloyd

From the BBC's web site:
"Writer and gardener dies aged 84
Writer and gardener Christopher Lloyd has died just months after launching a
£3m campaign to preserve the house and garden to which he devoted his life.
Mr Lloyd, who was 84, died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg, his great nephew Chris Lloyd said.
Great Dixter, at Northiam, near Rye has been in the Lloyd family since 1910
and Mr Lloyd wanted to ensure it survived.
He set up the Great Dixter Charitable Trust to take over when he died. "
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-01-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
From the BBC's web site:
"Writer and gardener dies aged 84
Writer and gardener Christopher Lloyd has died just months after launching
£3m campaign to preserve the house and garden to which he devoted his
life.
Mr Lloyd, who was 84, died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg, his great nephew Chris Lloyd
said.
Great Dixter, at Northiam, near Rye has been in the Lloyd family since
1910
and Mr Lloyd wanted to ensure it survived.
He set up the Great Dixter Charitable Trust to take over when he died. "

Sue and I visited his house and garden last summer, inspirational.
Lets hope whoever takes over continues the constant questioning of gardening
rules and the garden does not become a fixed mausoleum, he wouldn't want
that.
He will be sadly missed.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-01-2006, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

"Sacha" wrote in message
From the BBC's web site:
"Writer and gardener dies aged 84
Writer and gardener Christopher Lloyd has died just months after launching
£3m campaign to preserve the house and garden to which he devoted his
life.
Mr Lloyd, who was 84, died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg, his great nephew Chris Lloyd
said.
Great Dixter, at Northiam, near Rye has been in the Lloyd family since
1910
and Mr Lloyd wanted to ensure it survived.
He set up the Great Dixter Charitable Trust to take over when he died. "
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)
Thanks for sharing this sad news with us, Sacha. I will always remember
him as the white haired old gentleman who wore two earrings and who
gardened the way he wanted to! I'm thankful that I got to see the National
Public Television Station (PBS) cover him and his grandson's gardens on
Victory Garden a few years back. He inspired many wonderful and
innovative ideas and he will be sadly missed. Quite the character. The
route that gardening is taking, I'm sure he left significent stewards to
carry on with gardening in his aftermath.

marilyn the madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee (whose own garden reflects a diversity
as well)

Old 29-01-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Sacha

On 29/1/06 7:00, in article , "madgardener"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
From the BBC's web site:
[...]

From what I can see, CL didn't like any kind of 'formulaic' gardening, or
approach to gardening. He was very scathing about the 'instant' garden tv
programmes and that sort of approach to gardening. He wrote something
recently about the Trust needing about millions which he didn't go into
detail about, so I don't know whether he actually owned it, or not. On
another occasion, he said that he couldn't think of anything more awful than
the place falling into the hands of the National Trust!
I imagine Felix will remain there, looking after and guiding things - I
certainly hope so!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Sacha" wrote in message
Christopher Lloyd has died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on
Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg,

A real one off, very sad to see him go. One of the best tales I heard
about him was when somebody was proposing a vote of thanks to him
after one of his talks. They referred to him as one of gardening's
great luminaries. He *thought* he heard 'great loonies' and was said
to have been quite put out when he understood he'd been called a
luminary and not a loony.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 29-01-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:

I will always remember
him as the white haired old gentleman who wore two earrings and who
gardened the way he wanted to! I'm thankful that I got to see the
National
Public Television Station (PBS) cover him and his grandson's gardens on
Victory Garden a few years back.

I think you're remembering another late gardener called Alan Bloom,
M. Very tall, long flowing white hair and big ear-rings like a pirate,
founded Bressingham gardens and nursery. Father of a gardening dynasty.

Christopher Lloyd was unmarried.

Janet
Old 30-01-2006, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:
snipped

I think you're remembering another late gardener called Alan Bloom, M. Very
tall, long flowing white hair and big ear-rings like a pirate, founded
Bressingham gardens and nursery. Father of a gardening dynasty.

Christopher Lloyd was unmarried.

Janet

By george, yer right Janet!! That was exactly the character. (I'm sure,
though that Victory Garden was featured. I think that Peter Seabrook had a
whole show featuring him. I will look in the PBS archives and see what I dig
up.......) (Haven't I seen a picture of him in a bright purple shirt?)

maddie

Old 30-01-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
From the BBC's web site:
"Writer and gardener dies aged 84
Writer and gardener Christopher Lloyd has died just months after launching
£3m campaign to preserve the house and garden to which he devoted his
life.
Mr Lloyd, who was 84, died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg, his great nephew Chris Lloyd
said.
Great Dixter, at Northiam, near Rye has been in the Lloyd family since
1910
and Mr Lloyd wanted to ensure it survived.
He set up the Great Dixter Charitable Trust to take over when he died. "

bugger;
I always wanted to visit Dixter and just never got round to it. His column
in the Grauniad was excellent. I have one amazing picture book about Great
Dixter by him published by DK that looks like a shallow coffee table thing
but the pictures are brilliant and the text gives long lists of varieties
and tips.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Sue and I visited his house and garden last summer, inspirational.
Lets hope whoever takes over continues the constant questioning of gardening
rules and the garden does not become a fixed mausoleum, he wouldn't want
that.
He will be sadly missed.

And he managed to challenge the rules without a sign of concrete igloos,
surfeit of hard landscaping, weird structures and minimalism. Hurray for
Mr Lloyd! I can't say I would enjoy a tranquil moment gazing at my
garden with orange and purple juxtaposed but he loved his plants and
will be sadly missed.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 30-01-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/1/06 10:04, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:
snip
bugger;
I always wanted to visit Dixter and just never got round to it. His column
in the Grauniad was excellent. I have one amazing picture book about Great
Dixter by him published by DK that looks like a shallow coffee table thing
but the pictures are brilliant and the text gives long lists of varieties
and tips.

It's to be hoped the garden continues to be in his vision of it, though.
We're hoping to go there later this year. He was clearly getting very frail
because he gave up his Country Life column about two months ago and he'd
been writing that for donkey's years. I discovered yesterday that someone
working here was friendly with a good friend of his who died just before
Christmas and he was too frail to go to her funeral. So I think those who
knew him realised that he was not going to go on for a lot longer, sadly.
His nephew is going to be living there (Chris Lloyd) and it seems as if
Fergus plans to remain so fingers crossed.......
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It's to be hoped the garden continues to be in his vision of it, though.
We're hoping to go there later this year. He was clearly getting very frail
because he gave up his Country Life column about two months ago and he'd
been writing that for donkey's years. I discovered yesterday that someone
working here was friendly with a good friend of his who died just before
Christmas and he was too frail to go to her funeral. So I think those who
knew him realised that he was not going to go on for a lot longer, sadly.
His nephew is going to be living there (Chris Lloyd) and it seems as if
Fergus plans to remain so fingers crossed.......
--

Apologises for copying what I posted in sad news:-

"I worked for him for a few weeks one a summer vacation
when I was at horticultural college. ... 1958!

I agree Charlie he did come across as one would imagine.

Sad news indeed"

I am planning to go to East Sussex in May and will include
a visit to Great Dixter and see what is happening.

I do hope he had all the arrangements sorted, it is such a
wonderful garden.

Jennifer

Old 30-01-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Tweedy" wrote after Bob Hobden
writes

Sue and I visited his house and garden last summer, inspirational.
Lets hope whoever takes over continues the constant questioning of
gardening
rules and the garden does not become a fixed mausoleum, he wouldn't want
that.
He will be sadly missed.

And he managed to challenge the rules without a sign of concrete igloos,
surfeit of hard landscaping, weird structures and minimalism. Hurray for
Mr Lloyd! I can't say I would enjoy a tranquil moment gazing at my garden
with orange and purple juxtaposed but he loved his plants and will be
sadly missed.

True, but somehow in his garden it all worked.
Which make people see if it would work for them.