Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default A return to Gardening stuff.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste
water??

I don't think I would want even distilled water which had brewed in a
septic tank (however old) on my veg plot, or even just splashing around
the garden :-)

Janet

If you don't think about it, it goes away!

There is a housing estate in Carterton, Oxfordshire called the Maples
which used to be the name of our house and market garden land and with a
family of nine kids and two adults with an outside non-flushing toilet,
that's a lot of buckets of stuff on that land!

Richard.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Was; accessing urg through outlook express Now; A returnto Gardening stuff.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Not many people in west Scotland :-)

Janet

I heard it was becoming warmer than England, which has put paid to my
idea of opening up the shop on top of Ben Nevis in the middle of Winter!
It'll be too damned warm.

Richard.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing
waste water??

I use my old septic tank as a septic tank - hence using the bathwater
for flushing during the winter - though this winter I'd have been most
surprised if it had come anywhere near the top.

This modern practice of sending grey water into the foul drain is
appalling numbskullery. My last place was a radical conversion, and the
building inspector insisted that the lot had to go down the same tubes.
I fiddled outlets as much as I could once the builders had gone, but it
was still an ecological outrage, and I had to join them all up again
when the sad time for selling came round.

--
Mike.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste
water??

I don't think I would want even distilled water which had brewed in a
septic tank (however old) on my veg plot, or even just splashing around
the garden :-)

Janet

If you don't think about it, it goes away!

There is a housing estate in Carterton, Oxfordshire called the Maples
which used to be the name of our house and market garden land and with a
family of nine kids and two adults with an outside non-flushing toilet,
that's a lot of buckets of stuff on that land!

When I was a child we had a bucket lav and the contents were buried
in deep trenches in the veg garden. So, we weren't ingesting coliforms
on the salad. I've lived with septic tank drainage for the last quarter
century, no problems at all. I know, from looking in the tank when it's
just been emptied, that there is always liquid shit left inside. When it
fills with water, it will still be shit soup brewing. Water that tasty
miso brew on your flowers and veg if you want, but I wouldn't.

At our previous rural house I had three tanks (2 plastic one
galvanised) collecting roof rainwater (a total of 300 gallons stored
water) for garden and greenhouse use..or when the house water supply
failed. That's relatively clean safe storage, but you would still be
amazed at the amount of lively sludge growing in the bottom when they
were emptied out occasionally.

Janet

Janet
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Not many people in west Scotland :-)

I heard it was becoming warmer than England, which has put paid to my
idea of opening up the shop on top of Ben Nevis in the middle of Winter!
It'll be too damned warm.

But wet. You could always call it a sauna, instead.

Janet
Old 05-02-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Not many people in west Scotland :-)

I heard it was becoming warmer than England,

In the winter, it always was, with the possible exception of parts of
Cornwall.

which has put paid to my
idea of opening up the shop on top of Ben Nevis in the middle of Winter!
It'll be too damned warm.

Have you ever *BEEN* to the top of Ben Nevis? (Nevis in Gaelic -
nibheis, to be more precise - means 'wild'.) I've been to Fort William
many times, and most times I've wanted to go up The Ben. Every time I've
asked one of the mountain rescue team and they've advised against it on
that day.

However, if you want to build an igloo up there, or cower in the lee of
the cairn, be assured that never in recorded history has the ben been
completely snowless. (It is said that if ever The Ben loses all its
snow, there will no longer be a chief of Clan Cameron.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

About seven years ago I decided on landcress and am glad I planted it
as I now have it growing everywhere so it's a kind of 'useful weed' for
salads.

I've got watercress growing everywhere now - you don't need water for
it, though it grows better when there's a lot of wetness about.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I heard it was becoming warmer than England, which has put paid to my
idea of opening up the shop on top of Ben Nevis in the middle of Winter!
It'll be too damned warm.

But wet. You could always call it a sauna, instead.

I'd sauna set up shop somewhere a bit busier.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 06-02-2006, 05:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
from Richard Brooks contains these words:
which has put paid to my
idea of opening up the shop on top of Ben Nevis in the middle of Winter!
It'll be too damned warm.

Have you ever *BEEN* to the top of Ben Nevis? (Nevis in Gaelic -
nibheis, to be more precise - means 'wild'.) I've been to Fort William
many times, and most times I've wanted to go up The Ben. Every time I've
asked one of the mountain rescue team and they've advised against it on
that day.

I have, and bloody hard work ir was too!
I saw grown men sit down and cry after about 4 hours slog!

We started out on a nice summer day.........got to about 3/4 up and the mist
came down. BUT at the summit the sun came out and it was glorious.

However, if you want to build an igloo up there, or cower in the lee of
the cairn, be assured that never in recorded history has the ben been
completely snowless. (It is said that if ever The Ben loses all its
snow, there will no longer be a chief of Clan Cameron.)
Rusty

BTW no snow in sight when we were there.
Jenny

Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote

[...]
Have you ever *BEEN* to the top of Ben Nevis? (Nevis in Gaelic -
nibheis, to be more precise - means 'wild'.) I've been to Fort
William many times, and most times I've wanted to go up The Ben.
Every time I've asked one of the mountain rescue team and they've
advised against it on that day.

I have, and bloody hard work ir was too!
I saw grown men sit down and cry after about 4 hours slog!

[...]

BTW no snow in sight when we were there.
Jenny

My brother did it at the age of four or five: he must have had help from
our father, I'm sure, but I don't remember, as I was only nine or ten
myself. On the same Brit Is holiday, the family also conquered Slieve
Donard and Snowdon. Bloomin Ozzies get everywhere.

We peered about for some snow, and there was a bit on the northern side.

--
Mike.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Default accessing urg through outlook express

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

It's a long thread and someone else may have beaten me to this but:

I highly recommend downloading and installing Thunderbird 1.5 and, after
importing mail and settings, uninstalling Outlook Express. T'bird is
much better and SAFER for both mail and news. While your at it, dowload
Firefox 1.5 and import your settings from IE. IE can't be uninstalled
(unfortunately) but you don't have to use it!

www.mozilla.org (they're both free)

Derek.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing
waste water??

I use my old septic tank as a septic tank - hence using the bathwater
for flushing during the winter - though this winter I'd have been most
surprised if it had come anywhere near the top.

This modern practice of sending grey water into the foul drain is
appalling numbskullery. My last place was a radical conversion, and the
building inspector insisted that the lot had to go down the same tubes.
I fiddled outlets as much as I could once the builders had gone, but it
was still an ecological outrage, and I had to join them all up again
when the sad time for selling came round.

--
Mike.

Don't get me wrong I am no lover of Yorkshire water (Kelda) but two of their
reasons for unifying the two sewers were that too many idiots were plumbing
washing machines outlets to the surface water and others were dumping car
engine oil down outside drains.
The sewage works can cope but the rivers can't.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

BTW no snow in sight when we were there.

It's on the North Face in a hollow. It's never completely melted in history.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig