Old 04-02-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

Default accessing urg through outlook express

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Tumbleweed wrote:

LOL, Good point...perhaps that would have been better phrased as;

"far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by people who have
seemingly not used it."

Well, I have so far not seen much evidence in favour of that view;
there is at least as much in favour of the one that there is not
half enough sneering at Outlook Express.

I sneer at it. I have not used it.

Doh!

I, however, have some evidence
based on (a) the problems that people report when using it and (b) the
problems that it causes to people who don't use it but are inflicted
with messages emanating from it.

SInce there is likely to be a preponderance of 'newbies' and 'clueless'
amongst the users of OE, simply because thats the default, this is hardly
surprising.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 04-02-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

Firstly, have you got OE set up so that you have a left-hand vertical pane
? If you have then have a look below the folders named 'Inbox' down to
the 'Trash' icon. If you have nothing below there then you are not set up
for newsgroups yet.

she is since otherwise she wouldnt have reported being able to read URG
messages on OE.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tumbleweed wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

I, however, have some evidence
based on (a) the problems that people report when using it and (b) the
problems that it causes to people who don't use it but are inflicted
with messages emanating from it.

SInce there is likely to be a preponderance of 'newbies' and 'clueless'
amongst the users of OE, simply because thats the default, this is hardly
surprising.

That is true, but it is grounds for damning it as unsuitable for such
users - for whom it is marketed. It never used to happen with rn :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

jay jay wrote:

[...]

Read first line of first paragraph above! ;-)

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/

It sounds like the original poster is having new posts that are fed to
GB are just echoed possibly by request as email to her 'in box' so will
not have the Usenet heirarchy structure in them. This is different than
actually having a Usenet account set up in OE and not going through GB.
That's why I asked for her to look below the set of folders as in the
second graphic on this URL;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.mspx

It shows OE set up with *NO* news server account which should show up
below the 'drafts' folder at least.

See third graphic in the URL below that has a newsserver account;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.mspx

Of course to get them you have to go through the steps much like the
previous steps on the URL above.

This means that you don't have to have an account in OE but you have to
go to Garden Banter to read the posts through your browser.

Richard.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

jay jay wrote:

[...]

I think thats just a misuse of the word 'email' by a newbie.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Was; accessing urg through outlook express Now; A return to Gardeningstuff.

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message

[email shenanigans snipped]

I think thats just a misuse of the word 'email' by a newbie.

It is possible to get posts as email as in "would you like messages sent
to you ?" to which you must reply in a Father Jack Hackett way
"FECKOFF!" when munged by a company who wants you to think that IT (and
I don't mean I.T.) owns Usenet!

In the days of the veritable 386 and DOS there were no users asking how
they could subscribe to this Google Group but had to read the Usenet
Guidelines and bow as they walked backwards and also situations such as
where my brother (and others) still insist on having something like OE
and then going online to Yahoo to read and reply to their mail!

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Richard.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Richard Brooks" wrote

massive pruning

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?
Richard.

Me :~))
Got any tips Richard?
Jenny

Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default A return to Gardening stuff.

JennyC wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote

massive pruning

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?
Richard.

Me :~))
Got any tips Richard?
Jenny

I think we're all going to have to think more about it what with
reservoirs being low right now!

Instead of a feature made out of wood then covered in blue paint I'm
going for a Bedouin tent and maybe a camel skeleton.

Seriously, has anyone had plumbing done to re-route the waste water from
having a shower? In the old days of lemon thins and broken biscuits for
teatime at 5 o'Clock, there was a campaign for draining the water out of
a bath using a saucepan to water their plants and indeed some people did
take this up but most of those people must be dead by now.

We're in a more sustained state of reduced water so I'd have thought
there was more of a concerted effort to save waste water for using on
gardens ?

Richard.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Not many people in west Scotland :-)

Janet
Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote
massive pruning
Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?
Richard.

Me :~))
Got any tips Richard?
Jenny

I think we're all going to have to think more about it what with
reservoirs being low right now!

Instead of a feature made out of wood then covered in blue paint I'm
going for a Bedouin tent and maybe a camel skeleton.

Seriously, has anyone had plumbing done to re-route the waste water from
having a shower? In the old days of lemon thins and broken biscuits for
teatime at 5 o'Clock, there was a campaign for draining the water out of
a bath using a saucepan to water their plants and indeed some people did
take this up but most of those people must be dead by now.

Called 'grey' water:
http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/index.htm
http://www.greenedge.org/livingorganics/grey_water.html

We're in a more sustained state of reduced water so I'd have thought
there was more of a concerted effort to save waste water for using on
gardens ?
Richard.

Harvest rain along with yours spuds:~)
http://www.rainharvesting.co.uk/

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste water??

Jenny
http://www.rainharvesting.co.uk/

Old 05-02-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Richard Brooks wrote:

Now, about this gardening lark. Who is looking forward to growing
plants that don't need much water ?

Well, I used to, and some of them thrived. But, after the recent
very wet winters (and some wet summers), they have got very unhappy
and some have died. I hope that this dry winter will allow some of
the ones that I am experimenting with to establish themselves - but
that won't work if we get another long, cold, wet, dark spring :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste
water??

I don't think I would want even distilled water which had brewed in a
septic tank (however old) on my veg plot, or even just splashing around
the garden :-)

Janet
Old 05-02-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 5/2/06 12:35, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

snip

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste water??

Jenny
http://www.rainharvesting.co.uk/
Interesting idea! They're doing the reverse in Venice. The huge water
cisterns under some of the campos are being turned into sewage tanks.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Richard Brooks contains these words:

Seriously, has anyone had plumbing done to re-route the waste water from
having a shower? In the old days of lemon thins and broken biscuits for
teatime at 5 o'Clock, there was a campaign for draining the water out of
a bath using a saucepan to water their plants and indeed some people did
take this up but most of those people must be dead by now.

We're in a more sustained state of reduced water so I'd have thought
there was more of a concerted effort to save waste water for using on
gardens ?

During the summer I use most of the (nourishing) bathwater on the grape
vines and the fig - all three cunningly situated within easy siphoning
distance of the bath.

In the winter I use bathwater and a plastic bucket for flushing the pan.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Anyone got experience of using their old septic tank for storing waste
water??

I use my old septic tank as a septic tank - hence using the bathwater
for flushing during the winter - though this winter I'd have been most
surprised if it had come anywhere near the top.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig