Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default accessing urg through outlook express

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay
Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jay jay wrote:

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

Yes.

And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

Well, I am currently using trn in rn mode, and that is perhaps the
simplest form of access still possible (msg being essentially dead).
That is the simplest advice, but is not helpful :-)

I am a Microsoft-free zone, so can't help with that software, but I
can tell you that turning a newsgroup into Emails is a Bad Idea.
I have been inflicted with mailing lists that reflect newsgroups
before, and they are a pain in the arse. You need to use something
that treats a newsgroup as a newsgroup, not as a mailing list.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"jay jay" wrote in message

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

click on the group, then do;
viewcurrent viewgroup messages by conversation(click, it should end up
ticked)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"jay jay" wrote
snip
I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

I did put this in my reply on the other thread but maybe you didn't see it.
In OE go to the View menu Current view click 'group messages by
conversation'. It will show a check mark against it when threading is
turned on.

Also, under Tools menu Options Read/Send tabs, you can alter various
settings as appropriate.

This is a very useful site for info about OE:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

--
Sue

Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
I am a Microsoft-free zone, so can't help with that software, but I
can tell you that turning a newsgroup into Emails is a Bad Idea.
I have been inflicted with mailing lists that reflect newsgroups
before, and they are a pain in the arse. You need to use something
that treats a newsgroup as a newsgroup, not as a mailing list.

Agree about mailing lists - they are a pain.

I think in this instance it's more that jay jay is unfamiliar with the
terminology and getting his posts and emails confused. OE does download
newsgroup posts as separate items, with options in the settings to have
them show as threaded or not, and threads automatically expanded or not, as
required.

Hang on in there jay, it's not as complicated as it sounds!

--
Sue

Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"jay jay" wrote in message

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

Its all in the "View" option once you are subscribed to a news group you can
chose to "group messages by conversation" and you can also chose hide read
messages, which saves sorting through for stuff you haven't seen.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter,
great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another
thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing
through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

They are not emails, each one is a thread, you need to click the + sign to
the left of each one and it will open into a full thread.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/2/06 11:01, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter,
great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another
thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing
through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

They are not emails, each one is a thread, you need to click the + sign to
the left of each one and it will open into a full thread.

He might also need to go into the 'View' option and click on Threaded.
Without that the posts appear in date order but not in threads, IIRC.
--
Sacha

Old 03-02-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

jay jay wrote:
[...]

OK, so could somebody give JJ a step-by-step recipe in Delia Smith
style, omitting no detail and making no assumptions of prior knowledge?
I'd do it myself, but I use n.i.n. as a news server -- I didn't even
know you _could_ use OE on its own -- and would give duff gen.

JJ: note, while we're at it, that the general opinion is that one
shouldn't use Outlook Express for email, as, apart from anything else,
it's not at all secure. Plain Outlook is OK -- we never had any trouble
from it at work, anyhow.

--
Mike.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

jay jay wrote:
[...]

Sue has already given a link which is about as comprehensive and simple as
it gets.
Outlook Express is fine assuming you are using latest windows updates and
have the usual security measures in place.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"jay jay" wrote in message

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

In outlook express at the top of the page you should have an icon, marked
Newsgroups.

If you click on that you will get one of two options, if you have not loaded
the list of newsgroups, it will (should) ask you if you want to download the
list, this could take a while as there are something in the region of 50,000
different newsgroups, or, if you already have downloaded the list, the whole
list will be presented.

At the top on the list will be a window which asks for the name of the
newsgroup wich you wish to subscribe to, type in a part of the heading that
you are looking for, in this case, 'garden' it will show a list of
newsgroups pertaining to gardening, avoid at all costs, any group starting
with 'free'!

Select the newsgroups you wish to subscribe to and click on the 'subscribe'
button, exiting from the list of newsgroups will show that newsgroup you
have seleted in a list under folders, click on the newsgroup and it will
start to dowload headers, this again will atke some time as there are
several thousand headers.

Hope this helps, if not come back again with any problems, or contact me via
email.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

[quote=Rupert]"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
...[color=blue]
Sacha wrote:[color=green]
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:
[color=darkred]
jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter,
great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another
thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing
through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies
for not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest
piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

Many thanks everyone for your replies, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it (only took about an hour!!) I can now see the threads and am determined to hang in there. I didn't know about Outlook Express being unsecure (or is that just for the newsgroups?) but we do have very good protection so I think I'm okay there. I haven't quite got the hang of sending a reply yet - (hopeless I know!) so here I am still using Gardenbanter but I know, can do better and will do!! (BTW, I'm a she!) Many thanks again, will make make every effort so my next post is my debut as an urgler.

jay jay
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

jay jay wrote:
[...]

Seconded, re Sue, and far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by
people who dont use it. And Outlook is a very different beast from OE the
only similarity is in the name.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

Snip
Sue has already given a link which is about as comprehensive and simple
as it gets.
Outlook Express is fine assuming you are using latest windows updates and
have the usual security measures in place.

Seconded, re Sue, and far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by
people who dont use it. And Outlook is a very different beast from OE the
only similarity is in the name.

--
Tumbleweed

Furthermore Outlook is not a newsreader and just calls up O/E for
newsgroups.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"jay jay" wrote in message

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

http://www.usenet.org.uk/ has useful info

Lots of us here use http://news.individual.net/

HTH Jenny