Old 03-02-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

Default accessing urg through outlook express

"jay jay" wrote in message

Many thanks everyone for your replies, I think I'm beginning to get
the hang of it (only took about an hour!!) I can now see the threads
and am determined to hang in there. I didn't know about Outlook
Express being unsecure (or is that just for the newsgroups?) but we do
have very good protection so I think I'm okay there. I haven't quite
got the hang of sending a reply yet - (hopeless I know!) so here I am
still using Gardenbanter but I know, can do better and will do!! (BTW,
I'm a she!) Many thanks again, will make make every effort so my next
post is my debut as an urgler.

It used to be insecure but its feeling much better now :-)

Not sure why your original text has '' at the front of it though, (now
changed to by me replying).

In order to reply, click on 'reply group'.

OE will put your cursor at the top, (IMHO the one *really** irritating thing
about it). Move it down to under the text you are replying to, snipping any
irrelevant stuff, then click on 'send'.

(If you reply at the top a small religious war will break out with you
accused of top posting :-)

--
Tumbleweed

*yeah yeah I'll get round to installing OE quote fix one day :-)

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"jay jay" wrote in message

[...]
again, will make make every effort so my next post is my debut as
an urgler.

It used to be insecure but its feeling much better now :-)

Not sure why your original text has '' at the front of it though,
(now changed to by me replying).

Had she perhaps edited a previous bit? Or am I being dense?

In order to reply, click on 'reply group'.

OE will put your cursor at the top, (IMHO the one *really**
irritating thing about it). Move it down to under the text you are
replying to, snipping any irrelevant stuff, then click on 'send'.

Cursor at the top suits my style better than at the bottom, as I can run
down snipping out bits. "Different strokes..."

(If you reply at the top a small religious war will break out with you
accused of top posting :-)

Certainly will! Remember dear old Franz's uncompromising attitude on the
subject?

*yeah yeah I'll get round to installing OE quote fix one day

I wouldn't be without QF, but I'm afraid it puts the cursor at the top
too! (The default position may be configurable: I haven't looked.)

Go on, click it now:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/
you know you want to!

--
Mike.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"jay jay" wrote in message
...[color=blue]

Rupert Wrote:[color=green]
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
...[color=blue]
Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/06 11:01, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter,
great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another
thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing
through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies
for not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest
piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

Many thanks everyone for your replies, I think I'm beginning to get
the hang of it (only took about an hour!!) I can now see the threads
and am determined to hang in there. I didn't know about Outlook
Express being unsecure (or is that just for the newsgroups?) but we do
have very good protection so I think I'm okay there. I haven't quite
got the hang of sending a reply yet - (hopeless I know!) so here I am
still using Gardenbanter but I know, can do better and will do!! (BTW,
I'm a she!) Many thanks again, will make make every effort so my next
post is my debut as an urgler.

jay jay

--
jay jay

Delighted that you are persevering. Ignore all comments about Outlook which
is not really related to Outlook Express.
To Reply to a message: Right click on it and choose-Reply to Sender-or use
the reply Button on the Toolbar across the top of your screen.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"jay jay" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

Mike that's all very good stuff but Outlook is an email client. Outlook has
no built in integration with newsgroups. It would be bloody hard work using
the feature to which you have linked, to make a reply to a newsgroup
message.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
[...]
Delighted that you are persevering. Ignore all comments about Outlook
which is not really related to Outlook Express.
To Reply to a message: Right click on it and choose-Reply to
Sender-or use the reply Button on the Toolbar across the top of your
screen.

I may have missed part of the thread, but I did mention Outlook, though
only to say that in my experience it was _trouble-free_. I could also
have mentioned, as somebody (I think it was you) did, that Outlook
doesn't provide newsgroups: it's OE which does that.

But JJ should note, while she has our undivided attention (and
vice-versa), that it's Reply Group she wants, not Reply/Reply to
Sender. The latter will generate an email, not a newsgroup message; but
won't actually send it if it isn't configured for that purpose. It also
automatically and annoyingly (I sometimes hit it by mistake) puts the
sender into a contacts file even if you aren't using OE as an email
client. For what it's worth, I always use the toolbar button, not the
right-click menu.

--
Mike.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
[...]
[...]

Whoops--I did mean to say Reply to group. Suppose Jay Jay is now
sufficiently confused to give it all up as a bad job. :-)

Old 03-02-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/2/06 22:18, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:
snip Delighted that you are persevering. Ignore all comments about
Outlook which
is not really related to Outlook Express.
To Reply to a message: Right click on it and choose-Reply to Sender-or use
the reply Button on the Toolbar across the top of your screen.

Don't you mean Reply to Newsgroup?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-02-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

id...
wrote:
snip Delighted that you are persevering. Ignore all comments about
Outlook which
is not really related to Outlook Express.
To Reply to a message: Right click on it and choose-Reply to Sender-or
use
the reply Button on the Toolbar across the top of your screen.

Don't you mean Reply to Newsgroup?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)

Yes I should have said "Reply to Group".
Poor Jay Jay --Head must be spinning by now.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"jay jay" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

Wow! Poor JJ! You and I have got our wires crossed, I think. When I say
"Outlook", I mean "Outlook"; I've been referring to Outlook Express as
"OE". This is why I suggested somebody should give JJ a Delia recipe,
starting with "If your cooker is electric, switch it on and turn the
knob for the front left-hand ring to the maximum setting. If you do not
know which setting this is,..." and moving by easy stages to "Put three
quarters of a pint of cold tap water in a clean six-inch-wide saucepan"!

I write as the man who didn't know that a Fiat oil "warning" light only
came on when it was too late! You can always skip details you know, but
you're up the creek if somebody assumed you would know when you don't.
--
Mike.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rupert" wrote
"Sacha" wrote
Don't you mean Reply to Newsgroup?

Yes I should have said "Reply to Group".
Poor Jay Jay --Head must be spinning by now.

LOL. Stick to it jay jay, you're doing fine! We all had to start somewhere.

I well remember the first day I finally got internet access and Son and
Heir patiently helped me set up email and newsgroup accounts. After my
first lesson he finally went off to bed while I stayed up checking out the
menus, options and various bells and whistles to see what was what.

Suddenly all the toolbars disappeared and no matter what I tried I couldn't
get them back. So long after midnight I dragged him out of bed to rescue
me, which he did, still half asleep, with a couple of simple mouse-clicks
and only the very slightest pitying look. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Anderton

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:57:19 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

Seconded, re Sue, and far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by
people who dont use it.

Which sort of begs the question :

What sort of person sneers at OE . . . . . . . . . . .

but then goes on using it anyway ?

:-)

Cheers,

John
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

wrote:

Seconded, re Sue, and far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by
people who dont use it.

Which sort of begs the question :

What sort of person sneers at OE . . . . . . . . . . .

but then goes on using it anyway ?

:-)

Cheers,

John

LOL, Good point...perhaps that would have been better phrased as;

"far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by people who have
seemingly not used it."

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 04-02-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tumbleweed wrote:

LOL, Good point...perhaps that would have been better phrased as;

"far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by people who have
seemingly not used it."

Well, I have so far not seen much evidence in favour of that view;
there is at least as much in favour of the one that there is not
half enough sneering at Outlook Express.

I sneer at it. I have not used it. I, however, have some evidence
based on (a) the problems that people report when using it and (b) the
problems that it causes to people who don't use it but are inflicted
with messages emanating from it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

jay jay wrote:
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through
Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a thread. It seems I might not have the right set up. (I
would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would
really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for
not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of
advice would probably be really helpful)

jay jay

Firstly, have you got OE set up so that you have a left-hand vertical
pane ? If you have then have a look below the folders named 'Inbox'
down to the 'Trash' icon. If you have nothing below there then you are
not set up for newsgroups yet.

You need to be set up with a newsserver which acts like your post office
or magazine shop which only sends you news posts relevant to groups or
interests you subscribe to. If you are subscribing to one of the main
companies such as Wanadoo, they will have access to a newsserver
otherwise you will generally pay a small amount for the use of a newsserver.

Do a keyword search in your Service Providers search box but below is a
little reading which relates to Outlook Express;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.mspx

Hold on a minute! Are you using the BT broadband service ? ;-)

If so then you can sign up to news.btinternet.com which is what I use.

Richard.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tumbleweed wrote:

LOL, Good point...perhaps that would have been better phrased as;

"far too much 'sneering' at OE IMHO, nearly always by people who have
seemingly not used it."

Well, I have so far not seen much evidence in favour of that view;
there is at least as much in favour of the one that there is not
half enough sneering at Outlook Express.

I sneer at it. I have not used it. I, however, have some evidence
based on (a) the problems that people report when using it and (b) the
problems that it causes to people who don't use it but are inflicted
with messages emanating from it.

I both use and sneer. The former because it's perfectly safe for simple
Usenet, and comes from the same house as most of the rest of my system.
The latter because it has a long-standing reputation among the
cognoscenti (of whom I can no longer claim to be one, if I ever was) for
insecurity. It's an older-generation product, and has been left at a
relatively early stage of development; and because it comes bundled with
the majority of the world's desktop operating systems, it is together
with IE a prime target for malefactors (if anybody wants to find out a
bit more, it's easy enough, but I'm not about to help!).

-
Mike, happily using OE+n.i.n.+QuoteFix for newsgroups.