Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

Default law on boundaries ?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:33:19 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

What is an 'EH' officer?

Environmental Health.

I don't usually like using acronyms. I think it's the influence of
this urg. Can't stand the things myself, and have bored of sitting
staring at a string of letters guessing what they stand for.

Mostly what they stand for is padding phrases anyway. "In my
opinion", "As far as I know" etc.etc.

I know in the old days, when communications technology was such that
data transfer was incredibly slow, economy with text was important and
they had their use as a device for adding a little soft politesse. But
nowadays, for heavens sake, kilobytes of graphics etc are sent on
their way without a blink of an eye so it's really only laziness. Far
from adding politesse it seems to me that the brutality of the CAPS
does quite the opposite to these polite little phrases (if they really
are necessary).

IMHO - stating the obvious with a bit of Uriah Heap thrown in. IMO
is just a shade better but still states the obvious which is implied
in the absence of "according to x or y".

Prune out that ugly dead wood!

Don't mean to offend anyone who has taken the trouble to learn the
little b****rds.

Hussein
May you live an interesting life.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Hussein M.
writes
I don't usually like using acronyms. I think it's the influence of
this urg. Can't stand the things myself, and have bored of sitting
staring at a string of letters guessing what they stand for.

Mostly what they stand for is padding phrases anyway. "In my
opinion", "As far as I know" etc.etc.

Not at all! AFAIK isn't padding, it's a disclaimer ;-) 'I think this is
true, but I'm not completely sure, so check it out independently, and if
you act on it, you can't blame me if it all goes wrong'
I use it a lot, especially when giving advice on edibility of berries
;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:50:43 +0100, Hussein M. wrote:

I don't usually like using acronyms. I think it's the influence of
this urg. Can't stand the things myself, and have bored of sitting
staring at a string of letters guessing what they stand for.

Mostly what they stand for is padding phrases anyway. "In my
opinion", "As far as I know" etc.etc.

Careful writers do this because they do not know everything. They
thereby indicate that their comments are based on their personal
experience (including local conditions, so important in
gardening), not derived from some grand general principle. Some
few slightly malicious posters make up new strings just to
perplex readers.

So when you see afaict and afaik and istm and imho in a text,
view them as warnings from the writer that his immortal words are
not to be taken as Holy Writ.

BITXPY ("but if this explanation puzzles you" -- just made up for
the occasion) send me a large check and I'll be happy to act as
your personal guide through the thickets of innuendo and
indirection. Or perhaps I will be Beatrice to your Dante, guiding
you through the hell of newsgroups.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Judy Rigby

Sally Thompson writes
The only one I don't like is YMMV - but only because I instantly read it as
You Make Me Vomit. ;-)

Love it, Sacha - but I have never actually worked out what that one
means

your mileage may vary ...

--
Judy
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bluelotusrising/index.html
Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Judy Rigby uttered:

Sally Thompson writes
The only one I don't like is YMMV - but only because I instantly read it as
You Make Me Vomit. ;-)

Love it, Sacha - but I have never actually worked out what that one
means

your mileage may vary ...

I prefer the first one...
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:42:22 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Hussein M.
writes
I don't usually like using acronyms. I think it's the influence of
this urg. Can't stand the things myself, and have bored of sitting
staring at a string of letters guessing what they stand for.

Mostly what they stand for is padding phrases anyway. "In my
opinion", "As far as I know" etc.etc.

Not at all! AFAIK isn't padding, it's a disclaimer ;-) 'I think this is
true, but I'm not completely sure, so check it out independently, and if
you act on it, you can't blame me if it all goes wrong'
I use it a lot, especially when giving advice on edibility of berries
;-)

Yes I know Kay. Don't worry, it's a foible if mine.

I do however spend infinitely more time deciding what to say and the
best way to say it than I do tapping out the words on the keyboard.
How long does it take to type "As far as I know"?

I did apologise in advance and you can be assured that I don't think
any less of people for using them.

Hussein
"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"

$$$$$$ Cicero $$$$$$

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
MG

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 02:10:49 +0100, bigjon wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:49:47 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

bigjon scribbled:
I would think the neighbour has dammaged this tree even though he has not
killed it. He is not allowed to do that. Given that he is obviously not a
very friendly neighbour Sue him.

Steve R

Our rear garden backs onto the one opposite. We had a lovely young (
12ft ) Snake Bark Maple in the centre of the back border. Our
wonderful neighbour took it upon himself to trim all the growth over
all his fences, including the leading shoot of our tree, which was
slightly leaning over his fence ( about 10 degrees, and not casting
any shadow, over his 12 x 6 shed roof ). This has reduced the tree to
an upright trunk of about 6 feet and a top branch of about 6 ft that
leans dramatically back into our garden at about 45 degrees. My
questions - was he legally allowed to basically destroy a healthy
tree in this way, as it did not cause any real problem to him, and
should I remove the top branch to allow another to become the lead ?

Thanks for all the helpful advice...

I had this problem with a Sycamore sapling. Over the period of about 7
years the neighbour took the top out at fence height whilst I was at
work. As it sat in the corner of two boundaries, it could have been
either (I suspect they colluded actually). Then one day, whilst I was
attending that part of the garden in a hedge (!) the old dear appeared
in my garden and was startled when I stood up! She made some silly
excuse about dropping her secateurs over the boundary! I told her to
leave immediately and as she turned she said "You don't want that
getting too big it will take all your light" I told her I liked it and
it was staying, now if she didn't mind and I would return anything I
found back to her...

No secateurs, and it stopped being lopped. Within 3 years it was over
15' and had divided and was a truely sound specimein and looked great.
So, sometimes, these episodes pay dividends in long run...

Mark