Old 28-02-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Default Advice on how to stop downloading nonsense please

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Judith Lea
writes
On this computer I am on a dial-up account and I don't know how to stop
downloading these silly postings as I have to pay for the time it takes
to download them.

I have managed to ignore them up to now and read only the posts I am
interested in. There are so few of the old crowd who post here any more
and what with all these silly women being bitchy to each other, (not you
Judith) I think I shall call it a day. It was good while it lasted
years ago but now I think it has passed its sell by date. However, I
shall stick to other groups where people are still civil and friendly to
each other and don't think they are the big boss

I find it really sad that a group that /should/ be as laid back and peaceful
as a gardening group has some sort of war going on. Perhaps I'm stereotyping
gardeners

I can't help wondering if it might be time to consider changing to a
moderated newsgroup, or even an online forum, to stop the flooding that has
been going on recently. I know I haven't been around long but I'd be happy
to do some moderation.

Who started the group? Who has overall responsibility for it now?

--
Crazy Dog
(Sad that I can't relax when I thought I'd found somewhere I might be able

Old 28-02-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Holly, in France

Jim Crowther wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:53:22, Flower Bobdew wrote:

Aside from changing news server [NIN filters them out quite quickly
and efficiently, apparently], then this is your only option.

news.individual.net does filter them very effectively, to the extent
that I have none here to examine.

It's not filtering them here. At least not all of them. I suppose it's
possible that it is filtering some and I'm not seeing as many as others
are. It has improved though, haven't had any over the past few days,
perhaps NIN have changed something?

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Old 28-02-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , Jim Crowther
writes

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:53:22, Flower Bobdew wrote:

Aside from changing news server [NIN filters them out quite quickly
and efficiently, apparently], then this is your only option.

news.individual.net does filter them very effectively, to the extent
that I have none here to examine. I'm assuming they are all
cross-posted to more than two newsgroups?

Your assumption, sadly, is incorrect. The vendetta appears to be solely
an urg scenario. [Unless these chumps are sending un-crossposted
material to individual groups.]

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 28-02-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Okay good Usenet People I can help you.
I do not know how many of you use Google but I operate the Troll and
spam Stoppers help group.
If you have google look it up. here's the email address if you do not
have google
I will help you end the spam and ward off the trolls. If some of you
are willing to work with me we can ward the trolls off.
Be warned it is not as easy as it sounds.
Chuckie troll stoppers network

Old 01-03-2006, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Crazy Dog" contains these words:

I can't help wondering if it might be time to consider changing to a
moderated newsgroup, or even an online forum, to stop the flooding that

has
been going on recently.

Then why don't you go and join a forum or moderated newsgroup?

Not a bad idea. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a moderated uk gardening
newsgroup, or a suitable forum. I guess you're stuck with me (unless you
decide to go moderated and reject my posts).

I know I haven't been around long but I'd be happy
to do some moderation.

I wouldn't be happy to have you as moderator.

And you, presumably, would be the one making that decision?

Who started the group? Who has overall responsibility for it now?

You obviously haven't a clue about usenet or this hierarchy or this
group. It would be polite and tactful to refrain from missionary work
until you're more experienced and better informed.

It would be polite and tactful if you knew more about just how much IT
experience I have before you make such suggestions.

Maybe you could practise by going into pubs and suggesting the
regulars become a juice-bar, run by you.

I am not suggesting that I run urg. I have, as far as I'm concerned, made a
couple of suggestions that will eliminate the flooding problem.
Unfortunately, they introduce new ones that may be unacceptable so the users
may prefer to hope the flooding goes away. I certainly hope so.

--
Crazy Dog
(Wondering if I really want to be part of Janet's gang - if that's who it

Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Crazy Dog" wrote

Who started the group? Who has overall responsibility for it now?

Crazy Dog

I'm not actually surew WHO started URG but I think it was back in 1992. At least
the google archives show this as the first date.

Surely someone knows who instigated the group ?

While rooting about I found this :~))

This month's top posters
3
3
2
1
1

Jenny

Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

huge snip

Your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking - are they not?

Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"a.c." wrote in message
oups.com...

Given how this thread is going, I keep thinking;
munchausen syndrome! )-;

LOL. I assume you mean by proxy server?

Seriously, though, I appear to have trodden on some toes.

--
Crazy Dog
(Wearing my steel toe-capped shoes)

Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Crowther

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:41:32, Jim Crowther wrote:

news.individual.net does filter them very effectively, to the extent
that I have none here to examine.

Aha, had my first eight today. Took all of 1 second to k/f the threads.

--
Jim Crowther. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Crowther

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:59:30, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:06:52 +0000, Flower Bobdew
wrote:

In article , Jim Crowther
writes

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:41:32, Jim Crowther wrote:

news.individual.net does filter them very effectively, to the extent
that I have none here to examine.

Aha, had my first eight today. Took all of 1 second to k/f the
threads.

There aren't any threads, as such. They're all individual posts/new
threads. [In other words, killfiling the threads is irrelevant as the
'thread' only ever contains one post.]

It makes you wonder what Jim has been killing.

If I just killed the articles then should some troll-feeder follow-up
I'd see that follow-up. By 'killing thread' that won't happen.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , Martin
writes

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:06:52 +0000, Flower Bobdew
wrote:

In article , Jim Crowther
writes

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:41:32, Jim Crowther wrote:

news.individual.net does filter them very effectively, to the extent
that I have none here to examine.

Aha, had my first eight today. Took all of 1 second to k/f the
threads.

There aren't any threads, as such. They're all individual posts/new
threads. [In other words, killfiling the threads is irrelevant as the
'thread' only ever contains one post.]

It makes you wonder what Jim has been killing.

He may've just been slightly unhinged by the whole process and gone off
on a random killing spree, rather like Michael Douglas in that, erm, uh,
you know, the film, ummm, what was it called, uh, about the frustrations
of every day life being interrupted and driving you to, well, random
killing.

Two words, wasn't it?

How many syllables did it have?...

GAH!

Where's my gun, I'm going out for a walk! % }

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 02-03-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

"Flower Bobdew" wrote in message

He may've just been slightly unhinged by the whole process and gone off
on a random killing spree, rather like Michael Douglas in that, erm, uh,
you know, the film, ummm, what was it called, uh, about the frustrations
of every day life being interrupted and driving you to, well, random
killing.

Two words, wasn't it?

How many syllables did it have?...

GAH!

Rush Hour?

--
Crazy Dog
Pleased the snow has gone. Off to the allotment for a couple of hours.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , Crazy Dog
writes

"Flower Bobdew" wrote in message

He may've just been slightly unhinged by the whole process and gone off
on a random killing spree, rather like Michael Douglas in that, erm, uh,
you know, the film, ummm, what was it called, uh, about the frustrations
of every day life being interrupted and driving you to, well, random
killing.

Two words, wasn't it?

How many syllables did it have?...

GAH!

Rush Hour?

Falling Down.

Shame I had to shoot three people on the way to the video store to find
out.

http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden

Pricing nonsense Ernie Willson Edible Gardening 27 21-04-2009 07:58 AM
plant a tree of nonsense & watch it grow! The Admiral Gardening 0 03-12-2004 07:42 PM
Nonsense Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Nightshade Nonsense Iris Cohen Plant Science 15 26-04-2003 01:24 PM
More Nonsense Cereoid+10 Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM