Old 28-03-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

Default Drier conditions & water restrictions - what to do?

wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:

Assuming the bathroom is upstairs you can do this quite easily by
siphoning it. If a hose is full of water with one end in the bath,
then providing the outlet at the other end is lower, all the water
in the bath will flow through the hose, even uphill, and out through
the bathroom window. Except for the final amount when you'll need
to hold up the end of the hose to allow the water to flow down
and through the window.

So what's to stop me "taking a bath with no soap" - to the brim - then
syphoning it out onto the garden? Once a day during a hosepipe ban.

IANAL and IMBW but
isn't a hosepipe ban actually a ban on the use of hosepipes!
stay with me here...
not a restriction on the use of water.

So you can water the garden, you can wash the car etc etc
but not with a hosepipe.

So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

Dave

Old 28-03-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

someone here wrote:
[...]
IANAL and IMBW but
isn't a hosepipe ban actually a ban on the use of hosepipes!
stay with me here...
not a restriction on the use of water.

So you can water the garden, you can wash the car etc etc
but not with a hosepipe.

So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

In the highly unlikely event that you meant to be taken seriously, you
may find that the water companies could conceivably have thought of that
too! They probably don't want to waste time hassling people who use
hosepipes to mark out new flower-beds, either. So maybe, just maybe,
they would word any ban appropriately.

--
Mike.

Old 28-03-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
someone here wrote:
[...]
IANAL and IMBW but
isn't a hosepipe ban actually a ban on the use of hosepipes!
stay with me here...
not a restriction on the use of water.

So you can water the garden, you can wash the car etc etc
but not with a hosepipe.

So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

In the highly unlikely event that you meant to be taken seriously, you
may find that the water companies could conceivably have thought of that
too! They probably don't want to waste time hassling people who use
hosepipes to mark out new flower-beds, either. So maybe, just maybe,
they would word any ban appropriately.
Mike.

We have water meters for in Holland, so they can easily see how much water is
used. Luckily we've not had bans tho :~))
Jenny

Old 28-03-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , someone
here wrote:

IANAL and IMBW but
isn't a hosepipe ban actually a ban on the use of hosepipes!
stay with me here...
not a restriction on the use of water.

So you can water the garden, you can wash the car etc etc
but not with a hosepipe.

So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

A hosepipe ban is a ban on two specific uses of a hosepipe. All other
uses are permitted. You are prohibited from watering the garden and
from washing the car. Anything else is allowed -- including leaving a
hosepipe running on the driveway.

The ban on hosepipe use for garden/car watering applies only to
hosepipes connected to the mains and delivering water directly to
plants or soil.

So you can use a hosepipe to fill a water butt, watering can or any
other container (which isn't planted).

Further proof that the law is an ass: you can use a hosepipe to water
an allotment (because it is classed as agricultural land) but not to
water your garden veg plot.

You can use a hosepipe to have a waterfight with the kids on a hot day
- but not to help grow the vegetables to put on the kids' plates.

You can even use a pressure washer to clean the patio. Is this madness?
How can the Govt spin machine not have foreseen that this will make
them a laughing stock (watch this space when the ban hits Greater
London and all those journalists and TV producers on April 3).
Old 29-03-2006, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Hamadi

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , someone
here wrote:
So how are you going to syphon the water without using a hosepipe?

A hosepipe ban is a ban on two specific uses of a hosepipe. All other
uses are permitted. You are prohibited from watering the garden and
from washing the car. Anything else is allowed -- including leaving a
hosepipe running on the driveway.

Correct, AFAICT (though I'd be surprised if some creative thinking
hadn't gone into the driveway thing). On the substantive question,
Thames Water has a FAQ at:
http://www.thames-water.com/UK/regio...FAQ_000051.jsp

Which says in part:
- Can I use a hosepipe to reuse wash water, i.e. from the bath or
washing machine?
- Yes, a hosepipe may be used to syphon water for reuse.

Further proof that the law is an ass: you can use a hosepipe to water
an allotment (because it is classed as agricultural land) but not to
water your garden veg plot.

Not correct, at least according to Thames Water, who say:
- Can I water my allotment using a hosepipe, sprinkler, perforated
hose, trigger hose or similar apparatus?
- No, an allotment is classed as a private garden.

Old 29-03-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article .com, Rob
Hamadi wrote:

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , someone
here wrote:
[...]

Ah, but I've just explained why you shouldn't believe everything the
water companies tell you. Allotments _are_ excluded because they are
agricultural land. The Govt _asks_ allotment holders to comply with
hosepipe regulations, but it cannot force them to.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered User

www.simplesprinklers.bravehost.com