Old 29-03-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
May

Default ...putting bulbs outdors...

I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

Old 29-03-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

May wrote:
I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

The received wisdom seems to be that they never do quite as well again.
You could certainly plant them outside and let them die down naturally,
so that you can see what they do next year. You have nothing to lose,
after all, other than a few inches of bare earth. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-03-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"May" me@privacy net. wrote in message
I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale
pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or
is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

If you plant them outside and give them a feed and next year chop off any
flowering stems, you my get a reasonable bloom the year after.
Failing that you will get a flower more akin to a solitary bluebell.
For many years I thought I had a rare red bluebell until someone identified
it as a "Knackered" hyacinth.

Old 29-03-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

May wrote:
I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

What I do is that I let them wilt in a dry and hidden place coz let's
face it they're ugly then. Once the leaves have all died I take the
bulbs out the pots and place them on some newspaper to dry for a few
days. Once dried I rub out the earth from them and place them in an
empty shoe box and place them on the shelves in a dry place until
October and then plant them out, either straight in the ground or in
pots but for outdoors. I never use them for indoors again. I've had
years of lovely blooms in pots that way. The hyacynth are sometimes
producing more leaves and the flowers are long and thin and not as
plump as they first were, but they are scented, colourful and a pot of
20 or so bulbs in bloom is usually a lovely sight in early/mid March )

Old 29-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Generally, with most spring bulbs be they in the ground or in a pot; the current years flowers are formed the previous year.

The subsequent flower quality is dependant on how and when they were fed.

That is; feed them just as they are coming into bud and allow the leaves to die right back after flowering, this will ensure that the following years embryo has been well fed.

In the case of bulbs that have been treated / forced it might take a couple of years to get back to some sort of size but rarely do they flower like they did in their first year.

I am not sure what treatment they get in their first year but I would assume it is more than what the average gardener could give them.

Old 29-03-2006, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
May

"May" me@privacy net. wrote in message
I was given two pots of *bloomin lovely* hyacinths for Christmas.. pale

pink
and blue. As they died down Ive left them in sit (window-sill) ..when can
they be put outdoors?? will they look as good when they bloom again.. or

is
it best to keep for indoor pots for next time. ??? Thanks.

----
...Many thanks for advice. So I shat expect too much of them for the

future.
May.

Old 30-03-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
May

"Rupert" wrote in message

"May" me@privacy net. wrote in message

snip ----
...Many thanks for advice. So I shat ........snip

May.

Sorry -no one meant to upset you that much :-)

....No, I'm not upset at all by helpful replies here. A teeny bit

disappointed they prob. won't ever look quite as good, but I'll have a good
try to look after them well.. They were bought by a friend from a very busy
garden shop and were doing brisk business at the time. Thanks again.
May