Old 31-03-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Default Greenhouse - Asking neighbour

Hi a neighbour at the bottom of my garden (not my street next one over)
has a greenhouse and it's all full of dead stuff and really needs
sorting out. Now i wanna go over and ask them do they use it and want
to get rid of it. Now would you find this cheeky if someone done this
to you, i dont know them nor never even seen them (lived here 2 years).

Advice please!!

Old 31-03-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Hi a neighbour at the bottom of my garden (not my street next one over)
has a greenhouse and it's all full of dead stuff and really needs
sorting out. Now i wanna go over and ask them do they use it and want
to get rid of it. Now would you find this cheeky if someone done this
to you, i dont know them nor never even seen them (lived here 2 years).

can't see any harm in asking - someone asked me if i wanted the old butlers
sinks outside my house - I did want them but did not mind being asked.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 31-03-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"htmark98" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi a neighbour at the bottom of my garden (not my street next one over)
has a greenhouse and it's all full of dead stuff and really needs
sorting out. Now i wanna go over and ask them do they use it and want
to get rid of it. Now would you find this cheeky if someone done this
to you, i dont know them nor never even seen them (lived here 2 years).

Advice please!!

At this time of the year, ours looks much the same :-((

Your best bet?

'Amble' by and start to chat to them if they are in the open so to speak.
Get talking 'gardens' and greenhouses, then broach the subject. It all
depends on your attitude and how you are received in the neighbourhood. I am
well received and can talk to anyone. As an example, we have had neighbours
and near neighbours look after our house for the last 3 months, BUT, and
this is a big BUT, what sort of area are you in:-((( ????

OR

are you friendly with one of their neighbours? Go in that way ;-)) 'Oh I
notice that those 3 doors away from you have what looks like a 'neglected
greenhouse', do you know them? I would be pleased to take it off their
hands,... so to speak!!'

Mike

Old 31-03-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

The neighbourhood is very warming and i talk to lots of people (also 3
garderners aswell), loads of oldish folk and familys i think we are
only the youngish couple on our street (me and missus both under 25)
and get on fine with everyone (approx 15 houses). It's all 1900's
Victorian houses etc

I have been going past now and again, but as they live in a deadend
street with only 3 houses it will look well dodgy walking up and down.
But theyre back garden is 2 gardens down from my back gate, so cannot
see if they use their garden, only by going into my garage and having a
little look (which i do everyday). But they do have a compost bin next
door. I cannot remember if they used it last year and just havent had
time to clear it yet (i'll have to find that out)

I was gonna go down the note route but thought if they had kids they
would read it etc. I have just never ever seen them.

Old 31-03-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

htmark98 wrote:
[...]

I'd still go the note route but try it this way: "I'm delivering this
to anyone in this neighbourhood who might be interested, so I hope you
will forgive my intrusion. I'm looking for a second hand greenhouse so
am asking all neighbours with greenhouses if they will bear me in mind
if they consider selling theirs. Many thanks. Yours sincerely, etc.
etc." Add your address and phone number so they know you're a genuine
inhabitant of your area.
That's polite, gives them the option of contacting you or of ignoring
the whole thing and does not single them out as the sole objects of
your attention. If you know the name of that neighbour, put it on the
envelope and if you don't, put the note in an envelope anyway and
address it to The Gardeners at No..........
And to add tact to persistence, cover your back by putting that same
note through a few other letterboxes. After all, you never know!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-03-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Thanks Sacha that sounds quite a good route, there is another
greenhouse couple of doors up but that is 10x8(approx) which is too big
for me. So how do i go about that one?

Old 31-03-2006, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

if it's too big ...... ignore it!!!

ups.com...

Old 31-03-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

htmark98 wrote:
Thanks Sacha that sounds quite a good route, there is another
greenhouse couple of doors up but that is 10x8(approx) which is too big
for me. So how do i go about that one?

If it's really too big, don't post the note - you have a legitimate
reason not to do so. But ask yourself, is it *really* too big? Is it
that your garden can't accommodate it or that you don't think you'll
ever need one that size. If the latter, most posts here re greenhouses
would tend to contradict that! And in your note to those who own the
greenhouse of the size you really want, you can certainly say that
theirs is *precisely* what you do want! That seems to cover all bases
and - I hope - saves all faces!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"htmark98" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi a neighbour at the bottom of my garden (not my street next one over)
has a greenhouse and it's all full of dead stuff and really needs
sorting out. Now i wanna go over and ask them do they use it and want
to get rid of it. Now would you find this cheeky if someone done this
to you, i dont know them nor never even seen them (lived here 2 years).

Advice please!!

I myself wouldn't bother with a note under the door but straight ot the
front door and talk to the person. Something like "Hi, I'm xyz and I live in
the street round the corner. I am looking around for a glass house and
noticed that you have one that looks pretty much like what I am after. This
may sound a little cheeky, but I was wondering whether you may consider
selling it or if not, if you tell me where you got it from?". If they want
to get back to you on that give them your name and ph number.

From time to time when I have been out walking my dogs I have seen things of
interest. I most often simply knock on the door and ask if the occupier can
tell me where they got such and such from or, if it looks like stuff they
are throwing out, if they are giving it away. I have had some good success
with that approach.

rob

Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Ahh ok might knock the door later, didnt think of going down the 'where
did you get it from, as i want one like it route'

Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"htmark98" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ahh ok might knock the door later, didnt think of going down the 'where
did you get it from, as i want one like it route'

if the neighbour doesn't want to sell it it still gives you an 'out',
letting you walk away with some pride intact and without looking like a free
loader. If you ask if they want to sell it, should they be thinking of
giving it away their is a good chance they may offer it to you at a really
low price. If you don't get it and the neighbour ever asks you whether you
bought one for yourself you can make some excuse about it not being quite
what you wanted after all.

rob

Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

George.com wrote:
"htmark98" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

snip

That approach is certainly the easiest and most direct but I do think
care has to be taken to find out a little about the people. If they're
elderly or old, or infirm, or a widow lady etc., it might be rather
alarming to have an unknown man knock on your door to find out if you
still want your greenhouse!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-04-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "htmark98" contains these words:

Hi a neighbour at the bottom of my garden (not my street next one over)
has a greenhouse and it's all full of dead stuff and really needs
sorting out. Now i wanna go over and ask them do they use it and want
to get rid of it. Now would you find this cheeky if someone done this
to you, i dont know them nor never even seen them (lived here 2 years).

Advice please!!

You won't know unless you ask. If it's some busy, elderly or infirm
person they might be very glad. of someone to tidy up the garden or mow
the lawn, so think of some fair swap to offer in return.

I think the best approach is by a note through the door in the first
instance. Include your full name address and phone number. It gives them
chance to think over your proposition without being put on the spot face
to face; and also to check out your credentials in the neighbourhood.
Then follow it up with a knock on the door to introduce yourself.

Janet

are u Delia Smith in disguise

Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
htmark98

Yeah beent 'stalking' them but have not seen them at all in 2 years so
they must keep to themselves.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geo

On 1 Apr 2006 06:37:37 -0800, "htmark98" wrote:

Yeah beent 'stalking' them but have not seen them at all in 2 years so
they must keep to themselves.

Oh dear - maybe something nasty buried under it then...

Geo