Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ForeverArsenal

Default White fly

Hi
Often lurk on this group but seldom post but now need
a little help.
Have a 12ft x 6ft leanto greenhouse at rear of the house
facing due south,each yr I do a dozen tomatoe plants
in pots plus other seed//plants.

Last year I was plagued with white fly on toms and fuchsia
plants despite constant spraying with any of the following
(not mixing of course)

Bio sprayday
Bio longlast
Sybol
plus having several of the yellow sticky strips hanging about.

White fly started again this year on the fuchsia plants that were
over wintered and at this time I've started spraying with Sybol
(third time this this year in last few weeks) gets rid of them for
a week then notice them again.
Doing just as recommended on the packet.

So anyone with other methods or cures for the sods ??
been told marigolds in pots will help,also garlic cloves ??
anyone please.
--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT

"ForeverArsenal" wrote: .
snip
Last year I was plagued with white fly on toms and fuchsia
plants despite constant spraying with any of the following
(not mixing of course)

Bio sprayday
Bio longlast
Sybol
plus having several of the yellow sticky strips hanging about.

So anyone with other methods or cures for the sods ??

----
Last year I too was plagued with white fly, especially on my
parsley plants and mint bed. An eminent botanist advised me
to try insecticidal soap, which is non.toxic to humans and other
vertebrates.
I'll certainly do so this year as they're back already!

MCT

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

ForeverArsenal wrote:
[...]

Try these people and the spray they sell. Then introduce Encarsia and
keep doing so through the season. Whatever you do, don't lose your
nerve and revert to chemicals because you'll kill the Encarsia and the
cycle will merely start again.
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/softsoap.htm
We use biological controls entirely throughout all our greenhouses and
they really do work.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

If you are ok with an nonorganic solution you could try Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate, also available as a ready to use
spray. Will give a long period of protection
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 09-04-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bookworm

ForeverArsenal wrote:

So anyone with other methods or cures for the sods ??
been told marigolds in pots will help,also garlic cloves ??
anyone please.
--
Barry.

Hang up some yellow Sticky Pads that you can buy from Garden Centres.
They have worked for me for years. They get attracted to them and they
stick to them.

100% sucess every year. Whitefly? oh them white things stuck to those
sticky pads!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Bookworm wrote:
ForeverArsenal wrote:

So anyone with other methods or cures for the sods ??
been told marigolds in pots will help,also garlic cloves ??
anyone please.
--
Barry.

Hang up some yellow Sticky Pads that you can buy from Garden Centres.
They have worked for me for years. They get attracted to them and they
stick to them.

100% sucess every year. Whitefly? oh them white things stuck to those
sticky pads!

They do work very well but the problem with those is that they catch
other 'good' things. ;-( However, desperate needs sometimes call for
desperate measures........
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff

Soft soap - that not softened household soap (sodium stearate) it's
specially made potassium stearate.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you are ok with an nonorganic solution you could try Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate, also available as a ready to use
spray. Will give a long period of protection
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Does work but not sure you should use it on edibles.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
[...]

De leaf the Fuchsias during winter and put them out as soon as possible in

spring, and just do toms in the greenhouse. put up net curtains over vents
and doorways and put in the biological control as soon as its warm enough.
(in a small green house they fly out if not constrained)
Pick off any badly effected leaves, spraying is a waste of time and money.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Charlie - it is ok to use the Provado Ultimate Bug Killer on Tomatoes,
Peppers and Aubergines under glass. That is the only approval it has
for edible crops. No approval for outdoor use. As the OP is refering
to glass house, thought it worth while

Old 11-04-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
oups.com...
Charlie - it is ok to use the Provado Ultimate Bug Killer on Tomatoes,
Peppers and Aubergines under glass. That is the only approval it has
for edible crops. No approval for outdoor use. As the OP is refering
to glass house, thought it worth while
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

I use intercept occasionally for conservatory climbers(I thought it was the
same stuff and it says not to use on edible crops) but you are almost
certainly more up to speed on these things than me and I am happy to stand
corrected :~)
Still think I will stick to isolating toms from the worst white fly martyrs!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered User

One of the most effective product I've tried lately is one called SB Plant Invigorator. There's a website at http://www.sbproducts.co.uk/orders.html which has more information under the pest control section.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ForeverArsenal

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
Hi
Often lurk on this group but seldom post but now need
a little help.

Hi to the group

Just like to thank all that replied to my *white fly * post.

Sorry taken a while to reply but was away from computer
for few days.
Don't really know what road to go down to try and control
them,as mentioned in original post I do have a few sticky
pads hanging in the g-house which do have a lot of white
fly attached from last year.Not to keen on them in case bee's
etc get stuck on them.

Like the idea of the biological controls with encarsia but with
a fairly small g-house it's quite expensive with the sprays and supply
of encarsia if it goes belly up and does not work out.

Other point of concern for me is the fact that they will fly off via
vents (3 auto roof vents 3 auto louvre vents) if open and the
louvre would be hard to cover with very fine netting,the
other point would be trying to keep temp with the vents
covered as it faces dead south and is very sheltered both sides
and back(attacted to house) I have huge probs now with temp
even on sunny but cool-ish days,gets to over 90 degs now
even with all vents and door open and on a really hot day can
have a barby Q in there with no barby so little concernded .

Will have to have a long think and decide as g-house is only
garden I've got really apart from tiny bit of lawn at the front of
house (north) and that stuck under huge ******** oak tree with
TPO .Maybe grow dope in g-house and go to Tesco's for the
toms,salad,peppers, etc ;-)

Many thanks to you all.

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pest Effects writes

One of the most effective product I've tried lately is one called SB
Plant Invigorator. There's a website at
http://www.sbproducts.co.uk/orders.html which has more information
under the pest control section.

What is your connection with this web site?

--
Kay
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverArsenal
"
Hi to the group

Just like to thank all that replied to my *white fly * post.

Sorry taken a while to reply but was away from computer
for few days.
Don't really know what road to go down to try and control
them,.
If you are interested Barry, I can send you some of my SB for you to try. I got a litre of the professional mix which dilutes at 2ml/l, so it'll last for ages. I gave some to a friend last week who had whitefly on her glasshouse mint plants. She said that 1 dose and all the adults were dead! Send me an email and I'll pop a few mls in the post.