Old 18-04-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Need help identifying plants please

"androo" wrote in message
news

6) Could be Sarcococca. Has it got any little black berries on it at the
mo? It's hard to tell from the picture.

No, not at the moment at any rate.

9) Looks like a Cistus to me too.
10) Are these two separate shrubs?

Yes they're separate. Actually there's a third taller plant behind too. If
you can be bothered and you have broadband, click on the underlined O
(next
to SML) to get the very big size and you'll get a better view.

The leaves on the left look different
from the right hand side. I thought the right might be some sort of
Rhododendron or maybe a Pieris.

--
Sue

Ah. On the big picture that on the left does look like Valerian but it's a
big buga for this time of year (as previously pointed out more eloquently by
Kay)--what area are you in?
The plant (s) behind look like a Magnolia (perhaps) and just a suspicion of
a Japanese Knotweed (dead cane)

Old 18-04-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"androo" wrote in message
Still not sure what half the plants are in my garden (I've only been there
three months). I'm sure there's nothing remarkable but I can't seem to find
some of them in my RHS book.

If you're interested, please have a look at the gallery I've set up:

http://androo.smugmug.com/gallery/1365645/1/64416393

You can leave a comment in the gallery, or post back here.

Thanks in advance.
Androo

Oh a quiz :~))

1) Grape Hyacinth
2) Aquilegia
3) Sedum
4) Hebe
5) Wallflower
6) Another type og Hebe
8) Begenia
9) Pieris
10) Rhodendendron (?)
11) Buddleia

Jenny

Old 18-04-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message

What's that underneath the bushes - possibly Corydalis?

If we are on picture 10 then the plant underneath looks a bit like a
geranium.

It does on the standard sized picture, but if you double click on the 0
of 10, you get a giant sized picture, and that shows clearly the leaves
to be dissected into separate leaflets, ie not like a geranium at all
;-)

Looks a bit bold for Corydalis-mine are fairly feathery (blue and white).

Yeah ... but I couldn't think what else it could be.
That's why I asked the question, even though it wasn't one of the plants
asked about.

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message

What's that underneath the bushes - possibly Corydalis?

If we are on picture 10 then the plant underneath looks a bit like a
geranium.

It does on the standard sized picture, but if you double click on the 0 of
10, you get a giant sized picture, and that shows clearly the leaves to be
dissected into separate leaflets, ie not like a geranium at all ;-)

Looks a bit bold for Corydalis-mine are fairly feathery (blue and white).

Yeah ... but I couldn't think what else it could be.
That's why I asked the question, even though it wasn't one of the plants
asked about.

--
Kay

It's a poppy

Old 18-04-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

In article ews.net,
Sue writes

"androo" wrote
Some will be a lot easier to id once they have flowers.

Some easy ones to start -
1) grape hyacinth Muscari 2) Aquilegia 3) possibly the young shoots
of Sedum spectabile 8) Bergenia 9) could be a cistus type thing -
big shrubby rock rose 11) possibly Buddleia alternifolia, the one
with small purple flowers scattered the whole length of the stem.

Thanks Kay!

6) Could be Sarcococca. Has it got any little black berries on it at the
mo? It's hard to tell from the picture.
9) Looks like a Cistus to me too.
10) Are these two separate shrubs? The leaves on the left look different
from the right hand side. I thought the right might be some sort of
Rhododendron or maybe a Pieris.

Hi

Yes I think the no.10 right hand one is a kind of pieris, I have one
very similar in my garden, with lily of the valley type flowers on it at
the moment. And I think the left hand one is something else - it almost
reminds me of fresh new growth of valerian but I am probably wrong!

I would agree with the no.9 cistus/rock rose id as well, we have several
mature ones which look very similar.

I would agree with hebe for no.4, there are loads of different kinds and
the leaves look right for hebe.

No.6 does have the look of rhododendron with the buds on view.

You have some nice plants in your garden, congratulations!

Lynda

Old 18-04-2006, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message

What's that underneath the bushes - possibly Corydalis?

If we are on picture 10 then the plant underneath looks a bit like a
geranium.

It does on the standard sized picture, but if you double click on the 0 of
10, you get a giant sized picture, and that shows clearly the leaves to be
dissected into separate leaflets, ie not like a geranium at all ;-)

Looks a bit bold for Corydalis-mine are fairly feathery (blue and white).

Yeah ... but I couldn't think what else it could be.
That's why I asked the question, even though it wasn't one of the plants
asked about.

--
Kay

It's a poppy

Is it? Which one?

(I've never really looked at their leaves - the yellow ones and the big
red perennial ones are the only ones that grow with me)

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The leaves look like the small yellow ones that grow like weeds (with a
really deep root) ? Perhaps they are not as serrated as the yellow ones.
Is that a bud right in the bottom middle of the picture-looks a bit like a
poppy flower bud.
If it's not the yellow one then it's the very rare one that only I have ever
seen:-)

Old 18-04-2006, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes
It's a poppy

Is it? Which one?

(I've never really looked at their leaves - the yellow ones and the big
red perennial ones are the only ones that grow with me)

--
Kay

The leaves look like the small yellow ones that grow like weeds (with a
really deep root) ? Perhaps they are not as serrated as the yellow ones.
Is that a bud right in the bottom middle of the picture-looks a bit like a
poppy flower bud.
If it's not the yellow one then it's the very rare one that only I have ever
seen:-)

Yes, it could be. Mine don't grow in that sort of situation, only in
open areas like gravel paths and between paving slabs.
--
Kay
Old 19-04-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

Ah. On the big picture that on the left does look like Valerian but it's a
big buga for this time of year (as previously pointed out more eloquently

by
Kay)--what area are you in?

West Yorkshire

Androo

Old 19-04-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

Hi

Yes I think the no.10 right hand one is a kind of pieris, I have one
very similar in my garden, with lily of the valley type flowers on it at
the moment. And I think the left hand one is something else - it almost
reminds me of fresh new growth of valerian but I am probably wrong!

I would agree with the no.9 cistus/rock rose id as well, we have several
mature ones which look very similar.

I would agree with hebe for no.4, there are loads of different kinds and
the leaves look right for hebe.

No.6 does have the look of rhododendron with the buds on view.

You have some nice plants in your garden, congratulations!

Lynda

Thanks. It's been an exciting three months, watching things appear.

Androo

Old 19-04-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"androo" wrote in message
Ah. On the big picture that on the left does look like Valerian but it's
big buga for this time of year (as previously pointed out more eloquently

by
Kay)--what area are you in?

West Yorkshire

Androo

Seems so much more advanced than my patch in West Yorkshire.
I guess you will be finding more gems in that garden in the next few months.

Old 19-04-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

West Yorkshire

Androo

Seems so much more advanced than my patch in West Yorkshire.
I guess you will be finding more gems in that garden in the next few

months.

Hope so. It's on a sunny south facing hillside, so maybe that makes a
difference.