Old 20-04-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jools

Default Flaming ivy

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?

I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that its
going to take several repeats to clear.

It quite a large area approx 40' x 40'.

TIA

Old 20-04-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:44:12 GMT, "jools"
wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?
I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that its
going to take several repeats to clear.

You didn't say what it is growing on. No good if it is growing over a
wooden shed!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-04-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jools

wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?
I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that
its
going to take several repeats to clear.

You didn't say what it is growing on. No good if it is growing over a
wooden shed!

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam in Bristol

Its growing on the ground

Me, just out-of-town in Nailsea

Old 21-04-2006, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"jools" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?

Dynamite is better, but the fragments will re-root unless you burn them
(just to be sure).
--
Brian

Old 21-04-2006, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
?..?

"jools" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?

I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that
its
going to take several repeats to clear.

It quite a large area approx 40' x 40'.

Angle Grinder!

or

Flail mower. Ask at your local farm or hire shop etc.

Old 21-04-2006, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jools

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "jools" contains these words:

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an
effective
way of clearing ivy?

I am currently using a swiss-switch and a rake, but it is apparent that
its
going to take several repeats to clear.

It quite a large area approx 40' x 40'.

Even green ivy is waxy and burns well. You could certainly burn off
the leaves (repeatedly) until eventually the ivy died, but my guess is
it would take several months (waiting for new growth to appear, flaming
again etc) and you might still have to dig out the thicker roots.

What's a swiss-switch btw?

Janet

A clearing hook, I find it pretty good. I think I will complete one pass
with the hook & rake - getting rid of most of the leaf and a good deal of
stem, then flame the remainder.
http://www.cjindustries.co.uk/it100004.html

Old 21-04-2006, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jools

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"jools" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an
effective
way of clearing ivy?

Dynamite is better, but the fragments will re-root unless you burn them
(just to be sure).
--
Brian

Ill check my local garden centre and DIY store;-)

Old 21-04-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

jools wrote:
[...]

Do tell us how you get on: it's a topic which comes up quite often.
Meanwhile, I'll buy you a beer if the flame gun, used as you describe,
does the job -- I'll be surprised if it does the slightest good, even if
you attack the leaves. For my money, digging's the answer: you'll
probably be able to pull out a lot of it first, which will make the
digging a bit easier.

Some like flame guns for weeding, but I've never had any luck with one.

--
Mike.

Old 21-04-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Do tell us how you get on: it's a topic which comes up quite often.
| Meanwhile, I'll buy you a beer if the flame gun, used as you describe,
| does the job -- I'll be surprised if it does the slightest good, even if
| you attack the leaves. For my money, digging's the answer: you'll
| probably be able to pull out a lot of it first, which will make the
| digging a bit easier.
|
| Some like flame guns for weeding, but I've never had any luck with one.

I believe that the possession of an effective one will get you life in
Belmarsh, without putting you through the hassle of a trial.

As ivy is shallow rooted, a grub axe is very effective. 40'x40' will
take a while, but not as long as all that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

. uk...

"jools" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an
effective
way of clearing ivy?

Dynamite is better, but the fragments will re-root unless you burn them
(just to be sure).

Ill check my local garden centre and DIY store;-)

Apparently some garden centres in Ireland used to carry stocks, but have to
make do with weedkiller now.

:-)

--
Brian

Old 21-04-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
... I suspect that
most people who don't get on with them are either, using those tidgy
little gas-canister models*, or, not following the recommended method.
Or, too scared to use it on full-burn :-)

My experience is with a couple of paraffin jobs, one of which was a
Sheen, but they had diddy little paraffin canisters attached to the
'rod'. OK for shrivelling grass seedlings in gravel, but not for
much else.

*If a flamegun can't produce a 15 ft gush of liquid flame where's the fun?

Or the use. I needed to use them on dandelions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Do tell us how you get on: it's a topic which comes up quite often.
| Meanwhile, I'll buy you a beer if the flame gun, used as you describe,
| does the job -- I'll be surprised if it does the slightest good, even if
| you attack the leaves. For my money, digging's the answer: you'll
| probably be able to pull out a lot of it first, which will make the
| digging a bit easier.
|
| Some like flame guns for weeding, but I've never had any luck with one.

I've used nothing else but my Sheen X500 flamegun for weeding
(large) gravel drives, for the past 22 years. I also use it for
weedkilling under the hawthorn hedge (no detriment to hedge) and have
used it in the past for clearing weedy ground. It's fuelled by
pressurised paraffin. My neighbour took one look at how easy and
effective it is and bought his own for the same uses. I suspect that
most people who don't get on with them are either, using those tidgy
little gas-canister models*, or, not following the recommended method.
Or, too scared to use it on full-burn :-)

*If a flamegun can't produce a 15 ft gush of liquid flame where's the fun?

I believe that the possession of an effective one will get you life in
Belmarsh, without putting you through the hassle of a trial.

I'll keep HMG's generous offer in mind if I ever need permanent
residential care.

Janet.

OT I'm afraid, but as the expert on flame guns Janet, any idea if they
can be used on block paviours, or would they cause damage?

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 22-04-2006, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"jools" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether using a flame gun is an effective
way of clearing ivy?

I would not waste your time using a flame gun, all they do is to kill off
the leaves which then regrow, some sort of weedkiller would be more certain,
like SBK, would be much more effective.

Alan

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Flaming June David WE Roberts[_2_] United Kingdom 7 17-06-2011 08:31 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Flaming Renanthera And Other Tropical Orchids [email protected] Orchids 0 19-02-2007 10:19 AM
Flaming Renanthera And Other Tropical Orchids [email protected] Orchids 2 11-02-2007 10:11 PM