Old 26-04-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?- cheap cold frames

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:14:21 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......

Is it just me, or do these 'cheap' methods not always seem cheap?

For instance, the cold frame from a box - that box with the handles looked
expensive (£20 someone told me).

I would also like to have seen someone actually take pallets apart before
making the cold frame.

I have never found that dismantling pallets is worthwhile in terms of time
and effort expended - I have some now (which had block paviours on) and they
are held together with blunt ended nails with ridged shafts.

Ther are almost impossible to get apart without damaging the wood (for some
reason they seem to have made them robust - possibly so they don't fall
apart when shunted around on fork lift trucks).

All I saw was a shot of a pallet and a spade (tried that, didn't work) then
some nice bits of board and timber which showed no sign of being brutalised.

All the pallets I've taken apart recently had annular nails in too. I
was unable to get them out without causing noticable damage to the wood.
Didn't stop me cutting them up to use as temporary greehouse staging
though.

James
Old 26-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?

JennyC wrote:
"Paul Corfield"
"JennyC"

Sarah Raven strikes me as someone who is genuinely keen on plants and is
happy to delve around in the soil. Although even with her there is a
marked contrast from what looks like her very first appearance on GW and
how she is now. Even she is much more "commercial" with canny
references to "her Perch Hill garden".

I reckon she has a whole wardrobe of grotty clothes which she uses to give
herself an image on TV. I saw her once at GW Live in birmingham and hardley
recognised her in a very nice dress and with make up !!!!

I gather from my wife's comments that some of the clothes she wears for
gardening are far from grotty. I certainly wouldn't work in the garden
wearing £60+ cardigans, anyhow.

James
Old 26-04-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

Well lots of the old Geoff Hamilton episodes are being repeated on
uktvstylegardens (satellite channel) and his style is somewhat different
to the current presenters.

OH - wish I could recieve that!
He was a lovely bloke and much as I love Monty, Geoff was in a class all of his
own :~)

Snip

Agreed. I caught the tail end of one GW presented by him last night on
UKTVstylegarden, and was amazed to see him showing how he has a wee
spot beside his greenhouse where he temporarily plants new plants he
buys, to see how they perform, what they need and to give them a chance
to grow bigger if they're too small to be planted in their final place.
In these days of instant garden make-over with roll-out turf and flash
designs for those with deep pockets, it was a refreshing reminder that
gardening is a long haul undertaking.

Cat(h)