Old 22-04-2006, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 22-04-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:14:21 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

Well lots of the old Geoff Hamilton episodes are being repeated on
uktvstylegardens (satellite channel) and his style is somewhat different
to the current presenters. It is interesting to note the change in
style and emphasis in GW over the years - particularly as separate
years' programmes are running side by side.

You can also see the same old things being commented on year after year!
Still it helps drum the information in the heads of us newbie gardeners.
--
Paul C
Old 22-04-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

Well lots of the old Geoff Hamilton episodes are being repeated on
uktvstylegardens (satellite channel) and his style is somewhat different
to the current presenters.

OH - wish I could recieve that!
He was a lovely bloke and much as I love Monty, Geoff was in a class all of his
own :~)

It is interesting to note the change in
style and emphasis in GW over the years - particularly as separate
years' programmes are running side by side.

What do you find the biggest difference?
I t seems to me that fashion comes into it much more than in the 'old days'

Old 22-04-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-04-2006, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......
Pam in Bristol

Ah I see you too remember the white painted cardboard box with string handles
)
Jenny

Old 23-04-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:17:12 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......
Pam in Bristol

Ah I see you too remember the white painted cardboard box with string handles
)
Jenny

Oh yes! I did try it once! Have not done the home-made rocks, though
I did see them at Barnsdale.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-04-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default GW - In remembrance of Geoff Hamilton ?- cheap cold frames

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))
Jenny

And ways of making cheap cold frames......

Is it just me, or do these 'cheap' methods not always seem cheap?

For instance, the cold frame from a box - that box with the handles looked
expensive (£20 someone told me).

I would also like to have seen someone actually take pallets apart before
making the cold frame.

I have never found that dismantling pallets is worthwhile in terms of time
and effort expended - I have some now (which had block paviours on) and they
are held together with blunt ended nails with ridged shafts.

Ther are almost impossible to get apart without damaging the wood (for some
reason they seem to have made them robust - possibly so they don't fall
apart when shunted around on fork lift trucks).

All I saw was a shot of a pallet and a spade (tried that, didn't work) then
some nice bits of board and timber which showed no sign of being brutalised.

Do they have researchers to do this for them?

Presumably they all grew up watching Blue Peter (and here's one I prepared
earlier).

The only proper cheap method I saw was using loose old bricks to build a
frame.

Granted that there are some ridiculous prices for wooden cold frames (£200+)
you can still find polycarbonate ones via Google for around £40 and I'm sure
I've seen them cheaper in the sheds.

Or this one
http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...op/product.htm
for £29.99.

You can save money by building one yourself; I question the value of
breaking up pallets against just buying the wood.

Grumble.

Still breaking up the pallets for firewood.
Not enjoying it.
Hmph.

Dave R

Old 23-04-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

wrote:

[...]

It's possible to remove the blocks by simply pulling the nail heads
through, by use of a crowbar. With maybe a sharpened cold chisel and
a lump hammer to get things started. All you're left with, is a ragged nail
hole.

All I saw was a shot of a pallet and a spade (tried that, didn't work)

then
some nice bits of board and timber which showed no sign of being

brutalised.

Do they have researchers to do this for them?

AFAII all the things Geoff Hamilton demonstrated on TV and wrote
about previously in his articles were his own ideas and adaptations.
Either that or things viewers and readers had suggested of their own.
Which he then did to his own satisfaction, to make sure they worked.

GH was probably the first presenter to actively champion the use of
cheap materials in the garden on TV since the wartime "dig-for-victory,*
and make do and mend" philosphy became unfashionable in the 50's and
thereafter.

GH had hired help on the horticutural side I believe, as all the work
involved would have been a full time occupation in itself.

michael adams

Old 23-04-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
remove the squirrel to reply

Am I the only one who reads and occasionally contributes to this
newsgroup who didn't like Geoff Hamilton? I found him to be clumsy
and he frequently perpetuated myths. He often seemed to indicate that
creosote would kill al plant life from the vapour alone although he did
eventually do a trial comparing water based preservatives with creosote
and found that creosote was perfectly harmless if used properly.
I also found it irritating when he demonstrated how to sow a row of
seeds by sowing half a row, covering the seeds then moving on to
another feature. How refreshing when Bertie Doe in Channel 4's
Programmes from Wisley demonstrated the same thing by finishing off a
row that had already been started before the feature. Same information
better job. But then Bertie was a professional gardener.
Geoff Hamilton may have been a nice and decent bloke but as a gardener
and presenter I didn't rate him, in fact he was the reason that I
stopped watching Gardener's World.
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Old 23-04-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

wrote in message
ps.com...

JennyC wrote:
Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
remove the squirrel to reply

Am I the only one who reads and occasionally contributes to this
newsgroup who didn't like Geoff Hamilton? I found him to be clumsy
and he frequently perpetuated myths. He often seemed to indicate that
creosote would kill al plant life from the vapour alone although he did
eventually do a trial comparing water based preservatives with creosote
and found that creosote was perfectly harmless if used properly.
I also found it irritating when he demonstrated how to sow a row of
seeds by sowing half a row,

So how exactly does sowing the second half of a row differ from
sowing the first half ?

covering the seeds then moving on to
another feature.
How refreshing when Bertie Doe in Channel 4's
Programmes from Wisley demonstrated the same thing by finishing off a
row that had already been started before the feature.

Perhaps Geoff Hamilton should have taken up a whole programme
just sowing three or four rows of peas instead. Just so as to
demonstrate the spacing of the rows ? Two rows then a gangway
etc. etc.

Don't tell me that Bertie Doe never mentioned that?

Same information
better job. But then Bertie was a professional gardener.

GH trained at horticultural college, and ran a landscaping business
on the side. Details of his biography, given the numerous features
about him on the Beeb should hardly be top secret to anyone.

Premature death - especially when happening on a charity bike
ride - unlike in the case of Buddy Holly, JFK, or Janis Joplin -
can also lend an air of tragedy to the situation.

Geoff Hamilton may have been a nice and decent bloke but as a gardener
and presenter I didn't rate him, in fact he was the reason that I
stopped watching Gardener's World.

Sufficient people rated his previous articles in Gardening News for him
to be taken on as a presenter on GW, without his having very much
TV experience at all. Unlike some other smoothies I could name.
Alan Titchmarsh is also a qualified horticulturalist and has
forgetten more than the Corduroy Voiced Monty Don ever learned at
Charm School. Or wherever it was he got his education.
Titchmarsh's sidelining to populist rubbish like Ground Force is
an absolute disgrace IMO.

If there'd have been that much resistence from the GW audience
as evidenced by the BBC postbag, to GH, you'd imagine he's have
been taken off pretty soon.

I do hope you're not hoping to launch a Geoff Hamilton Troll.
Perish the thought !

michael adams

Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Old 23-04-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote in message
ps.com...

JennyC wrote:
Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............
Nice :~))
Jenny

Am I the only one who reads and occasionally contributes to this
newsgroup who didn't like Geoff Hamilton

,snip
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Gosh !!
Each to his own - I hate Alan Titchmarsh :~)
Jenny

Old 23-04-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"michael adams" wrote in message
snip
AFAII all the things Geoff Hamilton demonstrated on TV and wrote
about previously in his articles were his own ideas and adaptations.
Either that or things viewers and readers had suggested of their own.
Which he then did to his own satisfaction, to make sure they worked.

GH was probably the first presenter to actively champion the use of
cheap materials in the garden on TV since the wartime "dig-for-victory,*
and make do and mend" philosphy became unfashionable in the 50's and
thereafter.

GH had hired help on the horticutural side I believe, as all the work
involved would have been a full time occupation in itself.

However this program was done by Monty Don - don't remember the specific one
by GH.

I was querying the current production.

Old 23-04-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

wrote:

Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............

Nice :~))

Well lots of the old Geoff Hamilton episodes are being repeated on
uktvstylegardens (satellite channel) and his style is somewhat different
to the current presenters.

OH - wish I could recieve that!

You need someone to set up a rogue Sky account and fix up a satellite
dish for you.

It is interesting to note the change in
style and emphasis in GW over the years - particularly as separate
years' programmes are running side by side.

What do you find the biggest difference?
It seems to me that fashion comes into it much more than in the 'old days'

I'm only looking at it through inexperienced eyes but the contrast for
me is that the older programmes have more emphasis on gardens, plants
and a minimal amount of "get this at the garden centre" rather than
today where it is less about plants and horticultural technique and more
about projects for the weekend. As I lack inspiration of my own I am
always keen to see what other people do in their gardens

Sarah Raven strikes me as someone who is genuinely keen on plants and is
happy to delve around in the soil. Although even with her there is a
marked contrast from what looks like her very first appearance on GW and
how she is now. Even she is much more "commercial" with canny
references to "her Perch Hill garden".

While the "all for free" garden being developed in GW by Carol Klein is
a great idea it's a waste of time for someone like me as I don't have
access to the bountiful resources of Berryfields and previous season's
cast offs ;-) The annual border idea from the RHS chap at Harlow Carr
was very good though. I might try that in the part of my shared garden
that isn't mine!
--
Paul C

Old 23-04-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

[...]

While I was responding to specific points made by -

wrote in message
ps.com...

who's post appears to have disppeared from the thread
references regardless of whether its been snipped or not.
There appears to be a discontinuity in the threading
following 's decision
to truncate the thread title.

If you weren't confused before...

michael adams

Old 23-04-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

"JennyC" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...

JennyC wrote:
Old washing machine fire - cheapo garden lights ............
Nice :~))
Jenny

Am I the only one who reads and occasionally contributes to this
newsgroup who didn't like Geoff Hamilton

,snip
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Gosh !!
Each to his own - I hate Alan Titchmarsh :~)
Jenny

Quite liked Geoff Hamilton - not so keen on Alan Titchmarsh, he is a bit
twee for my liking.

Though I realise he is a designer not a gardener, I have to admit a little
twinkle comes into my eye when I see Diamuid Gavin, purely for his expertise
you understand!

--