Old 23-04-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

Default Garden Camping - a bit OT!

Hello

Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband - he hates small enclosed spaces and
having to bend his head if he stands up at all, he gets a crick in the
neck. I just wondered if anyone knew of a decent tent for taller
people, as we want to do some camping on our garden lawn this summer
with my little boy?

Thanks.
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 23-04-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lynda Thornton wrote:
Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband

I am that height and have used a Vango Spirit 200, and a North Face
Tadpole 23

He might try sleeping up the middle of a Relum Task Force 3, or splash
out on a proper bell tent from Relum. I like them all. The "Giant
Pearl" will house the whole family.

Old 23-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , Lynda Thornton
wrote
In article .com,
writes
Lynda Thornton wrote:
Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband

I am that height and have used a Vango Spirit 200, and a North Face
Tadpole 23

He might try sleeping up the middle of a Relum Task Force 3, or splash
out on a proper bell tent from Relum. I like them all. The "Giant
Pearl" will house the whole family.

Thanks Robert, I'll check them out

If you are camping in the garden just to give your young son an
experience then surely your husband can rough it for a night or two?
Your son will probably have more fun in the smallest tent you can find.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 23-04-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

However, I have to say that while camping in the garden is a rite of
childhood passage, having the parents in the tent is not!. A torch and
their teddy or the family dog/cat for company is all they need. Ours
used to spend all day making "the bivouac" out of whatever they could
find then sleep in it. Let your boy spend the night out there alone or
with a couple of friends.That's what it's all about. Even if you lie
wide awake all night on the sitting room sofa with the French
windows/patio door open listening for kidnappers.

Hi

Thanks for your opinion. I actually just wanted some information about
tents, not how to live my life!

Lynda

Old 23-04-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

If you are camping in the garden just to give your young son an
experience then surely your husband can rough it for a night or two?
Your son will probably have more fun in the smallest tent you can find.

Hi Alan

The point is that we want to see how it goes in the garden first, before
going further afield later on. My husband isn't keen on small tents in
the first place, that's why I was asking!

Lynda

Old 23-04-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
However, I have to say that while camping in the garden is a rite of
childhood passage, having the parents in the tent is not!. A torch and
their teddy or the family dog/cat for company is all they need. Ours
used to spend all day making "the bivouac" out of whatever they could
find then sleep in it. Let your boy spend the night out there alone or
with a couple of friends.That's what it's all about. Even if you lie
wide awake all night on the sitting room sofa with the French
windows/patio door open listening for kidnappers.

Hi

Thanks for your opinion. I actually just wanted some information about
tents, not how to live my life!

Lynda

Well said Lynda

'Some' people try to 'own' just a bit toooooo much

Mike

Old 24-04-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

In message , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hello

Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband - he hates small enclosed spaces and
having to bend his head if he stands up at all, he gets a crick in the
neck. I just wondered if anyone knew of a decent tent for taller
people, as we want to do some camping on our garden lawn this summer
with my little boy?

Thanks.

Have been researching tents recently and maybe the Vango 500 or bigger
the 600 might be tall enough. Very spacious. Around 140 ukp. Coleman
also do a similar one. Best bet is to go to a place where you can see
the tent set up to get a feel of it. We did,and it made all the
difference to choosing one that we felt good about. If you live anywhere
near London there are two places by PJ Camping, St Albans and Romford,
that have tents set up. Otherwise ask in
uk.rec.camping where there are a lot of helpful people willing to give
you advice.
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old 24-04-2006, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Lynda Thornton
writes

If you are camping in the garden just to give your young son an
experience then surely your husband can rough it for a night or two?
Your son will probably have more fun in the smallest tent you can find.

Hi Alan

The point is that we want to see how it goes in the garden first, before
going further afield later on. My husband isn't keen on small tents in
the first place, that's why I was asking!

There are quite a few tents around that will give your husband the
necessary head room - Depends partly on how big generally you want the
tent, there tends to be a bit of a relationship between floorplan size
and height.

Our Kyham would give him plenty of headroom, but it's a bit big for 3.

It's a few years old now, but the nearest model current is probably the
XXL Excelsior , but they have others :-)

http://www.khyam.co.uk/product_tent....E&type=Family/
Group

Kyham are not cheap, but of good quality, and very sturdy in windy
weather.

Ebay can be good place for tent buying, you get a lot of not used much
tents sold by people who try it once or twice then decide it' not for
them
--
Chris French

Old 24-04-2006, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hello

Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband - he hates small enclosed spaces and
having to bend his head if he stands up at all, he gets a crick in the
neck. I just wondered if anyone knew of a decent tent for taller
people, as we want to do some camping on our garden lawn this summer
with my little boy?

Thanks.
Lynda Thornton

Hi
This looks OK:
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Van...LX---SS06.html

Might be a bit big though. They do have other models as well............

Jenny

Old 24-04-2006, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Van...LX---SS06.html

That's not a tent! It's a bungalow!

Old 24-04-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lynda Thornton wrote:
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband

I've just seen a North Face Moraine 23 - new this year - The sleeping
compartment is a generous 2.3m on the longest side, but because it is a
bell tent you get slightly more along the middle, perhaps 2.4m (I
didn't have a tape measure with me).

The very modern frame design means nothing intrudes into the living
space, which is unusually high. If I wasn't over-supplied with tents
I'd be very tempted.

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/The...23---SS06.html
but please buy from a local retailer if you can.

Old 24-04-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Lynda Thornton contains these words:

However, I have to say that while camping in the garden is a rite of
childhood passage, having the parents in the tent is not!. A torch and
their teddy or the family dog/cat for company is all they need. Ours
used to spend all day making "the bivouac" out of whatever they could
find then sleep in it. Let your boy spend the night out there alone or
with a couple of friends.That's what it's all about. Even if you lie
wide awake all night on the sitting room sofa with the French
windows/patio door open listening for kidnappers.

Hi

Thanks for your opinion. I actually just wanted some information about
tents,

Which I offered.

What you offered was not a specific recommendation Janet, I could have
worked out for myself that a large outdoor shop sells tents! My
question was asking people who actually know something about tents could
recommend a particular kind, which you could not do.

not how to live my life!

I hadn't even mentioned your bad manners.

. This is a public discussion group, not an advice bureau. Anything you
choose to put here is fair game for discussion and comment.

Janet

Hi Janet

I'm sorry if you are affronted but you need to look at what you said in
your post, how you said it and try to understand what it might be like
to be on the receiving end. I think I know what is best for my child
and what he would be comfortable doing - I don't think you would
appreciate my instructing you about what is best for yours especially
when that was not even the question being asked? It seems to me that
your own comments were of the 'advice bureau' kind if anything.

This is a newsgroup devoted to gardening and related issues, is it not -
and I have been a subscriber for many years. In the time that I have
participated here I have always tried to maintain good netiquette and
keep my comments specific and to the point and I think that would be a
good policy for all users.

I will not be continuing this as I do not intend to involve myself in
any prolonged antagonistic and unpleasant bickering which seems to have
become rife very sadly in this newsgroup.

Thanks
Lynda

Old 24-04-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

In article , Paul
writes
[...]

Hi Paul

Thanks for that - I hadn't realised there was a camping newsgroup, I
thought I would ask here initially as there would be plenty of 'outdoor
types' and I have had some very useful responses!

Many thanks
Lynda

Old 24-04-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

In article , chris French
writes
In message , Lynda Thornton
writes

[...]

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, very useful and I will be following up all suggestions
of specific types and models to find the best one for us.

Lynda