Old 24-04-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

Default Garden Camping - a bit OT!

In article , JennyC
writes

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hello

Thought some of you happy campers out there might be able to recommend a
tent that will fit my 6'3 husband - he hates small enclosed spaces and
having to bend his head if he stands up at all, he gets a crick in the
neck. I just wondered if anyone knew of a decent tent for taller
people, as we want to do some camping on our garden lawn this summer
with my little boy?

Thanks.
Lynda Thornton

Hi
This looks OK:
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Van...LX---SS06.html

Might be a bit big though. They do have other models as well............

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Lynda

Old 24-04-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message

This is a newsgroup devoted to gardening and related issues, is it not -
and I have been a subscriber for many years. In the time that I have
participated here I have always tried to maintain good netiquette and
keep my comments specific and to the point and I think that would be a
good policy for all users.

That's just your opinion.

And IMHO, it just happens to be totally wrong.

What you need to understand about UseNet, is that even on practical
topics such as gardening, many of the questions merely serve as pretext
for respondents to share all sorts of information and anecdotes, not
all of which is totally germane to the question, but much of which
may be interesting in its own right, useful, or put across in an
entertaining fashion. And there's no knowing when some of it mightn't
come in useful at some point in the future.

Whereas if everyone stuck rigidly to answering the question as you
suggest, Usenet would rapidly grind to a halt.

Furthermore, misunderstandings can easily arise on Usenet,
simply because it's solely a written medium, and so devoid of the
nuances which are possible in everyday spoken conversation. And yet
Usenet very often tries to mimic the tone and informality of spoken
conversation, often between total strangers. And so for this reason
alone, inadvertant misuderstandersings are commonplace, and it would
probably be unwise to take udue exception or offence when this
inevitably occurs

Janet's reply was made with the best of intentions, and may well
have been of interest to other readers of the group. Even if not
to you personally.

As soon as anyone posts a question on a NewsGroup, it's no longer
"their" question, but merely an invitation to discussion. And is
open to everyone to answer in any way they choose.

You would possibly do well to remeber that.

I will not be continuing this as I do not intend to involve myself in
any prolonged antagonistic and unpleasant bickering which seems to have
become rife very sadly in this newsgroup.

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message

Thanks for your opinion. I actually just wanted some information about
tents, not how to live my life!

Indeed.

michael adams

Thanks
Lynda

Old 24-04-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

have you thought about a frame tent? Most are over two metres high and
traditionally have loads of head room and space. We have several tents and
will take a dome for weekends but always use the frame tent for anything
longer. After talking at length to experienced campers using dome tents it
seems that putting up one of the bigger, more complicated domes takes as
long as a frame tent. The only saving seems to be in car space as a frame
tent is about twice a big as an equivalent sized dome when packed (a big one
is anyway).

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 24-04-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

... Janet's reply was made with the best of intentions,...

I agree with this post - it is necessary to give replies the benefit of the
doubt. It is also the case that threads can end up full of general "stuff"
and comments. We may all try to keep to gardening but that is not going to
always happen, especially if a thread starts OT so I can't see teh harm
in the odd "throwaway comment".

Old 24-04-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

At the risk of getting in the cross fire! My wife is a Guide leader and all
her tents 2,3 and 5 man are all "Vanga" easy to put up, warm and reasonable
robust and reasonable price too.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-04-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lynda Thornton

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes
At the risk of getting in the cross fire! My wife is a Guide leader and all
her tents 2,3 and 5 man are all "Vanga" easy to put up, warm and reasonable
robust and reasonable price too.

Hi

Thanks for that recommendation - I have had plenty of useful and helpful
suggestions from many posters in the thread!

Lynda
Old 24-04-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
At the risk of getting in the cross fire! My wife is a Guide leader and
all
her tents 2,3 and 5 man are all "Vanga" easy to put up, warm and
reasonable
robust and reasonable price too.

How does a *person* cope with all these *men* ? There must be a queue to be
a Guide leader:-)

Old 24-04-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
At the risk of getting in the cross fire! My wife is a Guide leader and
all
her tents 2,3 and 5 man are all "Vanga" easy to put up, warm and
reasonable
robust and reasonable price too.

How does a *person* cope with all these *men* ? There must be a queue to

be
a Guide leader:-)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I want to know how these men got in. I applied to join the Girl Guides and

Old 24-04-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , H Ryder
writes
have you thought about a frame tent? Most are over two metres high and
traditionally have loads of head room and space. We have several tents and
will take a dome for weekends but always use the frame tent for anything
longer. After talking at length to experienced campers using dome tents it
seems that putting up one of the bigger, more complicated domes takes as
long as a frame tent. The only saving seems to be in car space as a frame
tent is about twice a big as an equivalent sized dome when packed (a big one
is anyway).

Our Kyham isn't a dome, but it has some of the benefits of such, but it
also has some of the benefits of frame tents as the main poles are
mostly straight, so it is quite a boxy shape - and is more stable in
strong winds than most dome designs of it's size.. It's not that quick
to fully put up really - though I hurry I can have the outer up and
stable enough for shelter in about 10 minutes, but quicker than frame
tent (which I don't really like for various reasons).

Another advantage of domes etc. is the greater flexibility for
variations in designs, though given some of the crappy designs some come
up with that's a sometimes dubious benefit.
--
Chris French

Old 25-04-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
This looks OK:
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Van...LX---SS06.html
Might be a bit big though. They do have other models as well............

I wish I knew the name of our tent. It's huge, ancient, high, has two
bedrooms, kitchen side corner thing with it's own window. Now that
we're four of us (two boys) it's not a problem to put it up even for a
week end. It's good exercise anyway. These days everything must go
fast, and when on hols isn't the idea to slow down?! (though my escuse
to get out of putting the tent up is making a cuppa for everybody, tee
hee).

btw - Ynyslas was ab-so-lu-te-ly superbe. No rain - all sun, walked 15
miles on a coastal path and thought I'd die of thirst, went around like
a lunatic on a quad bike, ambarrased the kids but impressed the sheep,
rode a 27 years old horse called Merlin and now I walk like John Wayne
;o)

Old 28-04-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

H Ryder writes
... Janet's reply was made with the best of intentions,...

I agree with this post - it is necessary to give replies the benefit of the
doubt. It is also the case that threads can end up full of general "stuff"
and comments. We may all try to keep to gardening but that is not going to
always happen, especially if a thread starts OT so I can't see teh harm
in the odd "throwaway comment".

I learn from this ng, not so much by asking specific questions, but by
reading the comments of other people to other questions - if everybody
stuck to the specific point of each question, I would not learn half so
much!
--
Kay