Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Amos E Wolfe

Default Water pump question

I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river. Nearest tap water supply is about ¼ mile away. I have a couple of
45-gallon (205-litre) drums which I can fill from the river and then fill
watering cans from these.

I have seen solar powered pumps for use in ponds and I was wondering if
there was a suitable product on the market that might fit my requirements.
It doesn't have to be that powerful as it can fill up gradually while I am
working. It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the river.

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Failing this (easier and cheaper) a hand powered pump? It does need to be
able to manage to lift the water up high enough so perhaps one with a
non-return valve? I tried a barrel pump but it couldn't manage more than
about 4 feet!

TIA

--
-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

P.S. for the curious the location is he
http://maps.google.co.uk/?t=h&om=1&l...01801,0.004345
to the left of the railway bridge (long grey straight bit) where the river
(dark bendy bit) meanders round

Old 04-05-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Mike

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have an extraction licence?

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 04-05-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Amos E Wolfe

"Mike" wrote in message

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote in message
I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river.

Do you have an extraction licence?

Mike

No. I have researched this already and provided I use less than a certain
amount af water I don't need one. IIRC this figure is something like 100
cubic metres per month. This may not be the correct figure but even if I use
the full 45 gallons twice a week it won't be anywhere near.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Mike

Do you have an extraction licence?

Mike

No. I have researched this already and provided I use less than a certain
amount af water I don't need one. IIRC this figure is something like 100
cubic metres per month. This may not be the correct figure but even if I

use
the full 45 gallons twice a week it won't be anywhere near.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

:-))

HAD to flag that one up :-))

Lifting a 10ft head of water is a bit of a problem. I don't think that any
solar powered pump is going to get enough ooommpphh to do it.

You could try a 12 volt battery on a trolly and an Electric Bilge Pump as
used in boats, but the battery would have to be carted back and forward for
charging :-((

I would go for a Whale Gusher Bilge Pump as used in small cruisers and
yachts up to say 40ft which is hand operated. Has the capabilities of
lifting water 10 feet ("I THINK") and would do the job quite quickly. Pump
fixed to a piece of wood with room for your feet either side and work the
chrome handle backwards and forwards :-)) Handle takes out for easy stowage
:-))

Just my idea and thoughts, but someone may come up with something different.

If you want to go down this avenue, let me know and I will nip over to some
boat chandlers and check some pumps out. Pity you didn't post yesterday, I
had to go to Cowes this morning!!

Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Mike

Further my previous post, this is what I had in mind

http://www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.u...item-5947.html

ecs are a good well established company, I had an account with them when in
business :-))

Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Guy King

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Lifting a 10ft head of water is a bit of a problem. I don't think that any
solar powered pump is going to get enough ooommpphh to do it.

Wind would though.

--
Skipweasel
Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
BoyPete

Mike wrote:
[...]

Just don't take manufacturers pumping rates as gospel..............they
refer to frightened sailors......BTDTGTTS
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Bob Hobden

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote ...
[...]

One of our allotment chaps pumps water from the River Bourn that runs
alongside our allotment site with a diesel pump. He does have an extraction
agreement with the local water authority up to a certain (absurdly large)
figure and their only stipulation is that he uses trickle irrigation and not
the large farmer type sprayers he used to use. The site is served by mains
water too.
With the right pump you could simply water your plot and don't need to do
what you intend with barrels and watering cans.
Have a look on ebay for a second hand diesel/petrol pump after you price out
the alternative.
Solar panels and controllers are not cheap and I don't think a simple solar
powered pond pump would be man enough for the job.
This may be interesting ..
http://www.gocaravanning.com/shoppin...ater-pumps.htm
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Colin Hammond

I am surprised no one has mentioned those pumps that extract energy from the
flow of the river and go donk donk donk. I know nothing about them except I
often hear them while walking in the country.
Colin

Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Colin Hammond" contains
these words:

I am surprised no one has mentioned those pumps that extract energy
from the
flow of the river and go donk donk donk. I know nothing about them except I
often hear them while walking in the country.

You mean a ram pump. They work continually so the OP would exceed his
extraction permit.

Janet

Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

Amos E Wolfe wrote:

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Probably only with a battery inbetween that gets charged up during
daylight hours.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

Amos E Wolfe wrote:
I have a small allotment where the only source of water is the adjacent
river. Nearest tap water supply is about ¼ mile away. I have a couple of
45-gallon (205-litre) drums which I can fill from the river and then fill
watering cans from these.

I have seen solar powered pumps for use in ponds and I was wondering if
there was a suitable product on the market that might fit my requirements.

The immersible one from Bull electrical might but it would stand no
chance on solar power (a decent panel and controller would be hugely
expensive).

Item AC8 on http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/solar.htm

You need to power it from a rechargable lead acid battery (they sell
them too or try Maplins). It isn't cost effective to use solar power
for this. I tried once...

17ft head of water at zero flow rate or 7 L/minute at zero height needs
12v 1.5A. I use one to pressurise my irrigation system from a water
butt.

Mine has stood the test of time but I don't have to lift much height.

It doesn't have to be that powerful as it can fill up gradually while I am
working. It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the river.

Alternatively a battery powered pump could be used with one of those
trickle-charge solar panels usually used for car batteries.

Cost of the solar panels will outweight any advantage. Easier and
cheaper to have a 12v 6Ah lead acid battery that you take home to
recharge every 4 hours of pump use.

My irrigation system uses an 18Ah battery and lasts a couple of months
between recharging. I don't have to carry it very far (fortunately).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 5 May 2006 09:16:57 +0100, "Colin Hammond"
enlightened us thusly:

I am surprised no one has mentioned those pumps that extract energy from the
flow of the river and go donk donk donk. I know nothing about them except I
often hear them while walking in the country.

they have, several of 'em.

mind, for the application involved, you might have to use a waterwheel and
pump. More moving parts, but less head required, just flow. Partly depends
if it's in a place that can be vandalised.
"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; and
therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"
John Donne (1571? - 1631) Devotions, XVII
Old 05-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

Amos E Wolfe wrote:
It does however need to raise the water from the river by about
6-10 feet (head of water) depending on the level of the water in the river.

I don;t goove that river would be fast enough flowing for a hydrauolic
ram, and suspect that wind power would be what you want. Except that
in the dog days of summer when you need water most the wind will be
missing. You could ask for advice at:
http://www.cat.org.uk/information/information.tmpl

This looks like fun:
http://www.gamos.demon.co.uk/just%20...e/henkfnl2.htm

You can buy some very good mains powered submsersible pumps that would
do the job easily, and run one for half an hour or so off a portable
generator.

Or you could spend zome zbarl:
http://www.marlec.co.uk/products/prods/rutpump_kit.htm