Old 21-05-2006, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Redman

Default Tomato Plants ?

Ok I was late in getting my new greenhouse up. I purchased 6 tomato plants
from B&Q that were a decent size and planted straight into the ground, no
growbags. Put plenty of organic compost and about 2Kgs of Rockdust through
the soil. Watered the plants well but now I've lost one of them, it just
seemed to wilt and looked like it had some sort of fungus growing on it but
as I'm a bit of a novice I couldn't be 100% sure. Anyway another 2 of them
look like they are wilting and the lower leaves are starting to go
yellow/ish and curl upwards. I've pulled a few of the worst leaves off. I've
made a garlic spray and used that to see if it makes a difference. Is this
unusual with young tomato plants or is there something wrong with them from
my description? Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Redman

Old 21-05-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Redman wrote:
Ok I was late in getting my new greenhouse up. I purchased 6 tomato plants
from B&Q that were a decent size and planted straight into the ground, no
growbags. Put plenty of organic compost and about 2Kgs of Rockdust through
the soil. Watered the plants well but now I've lost one of them, it just
seemed to wilt and looked like it had some sort of fungus growing on it but
as I'm a bit of a novice I couldn't be 100% sure. Anyway another 2 of them
look like they are wilting and the lower leaves are starting to go
yellow/ish and curl upwards. I've pulled a few of the worst leaves off. I've
made a garlic spray and used that to see if it makes a difference. Is this
unusual with young tomato plants or is there something wrong with them from
my description? Any help much appreciated.

It doesn't matter what rock dust you use apparently, but I'm not sure
why you've used it when you had a good organic compost to start with.
The rock dust mimicks the natural processes in the soil and the plants
extract the nutrients as it needs it. If it is fungus, take it out and
destroy. Watering often is the problem with tomatoes and perhaps the
humidity in your greenhouse. Have you checked this? It sounds like
you've got a problem if the whole plant wilts! The occasional yellow
leaf happens to me but not to the whole plant. I also never purchase
plants from B&Q ... but nails and paint and the occasional pot ;o)

Old 21-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message om, La
Puce wrote

. I also never purchase
plants from B&Q ... but nails and paint and the occasional pot ;o)

B&Q is not the best place for nails, paints and pots
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 21-05-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Alan wrote:
B&Q is not the best place for nails, paints and pots

True )) Don't get me started though - I love tiny little old
fashioned hardware shops. Close to where we live there's one run by an
adorable man. Once my husband asked him if he had a pickaxe. It was
almost 5pm. The chap said to come back first thing the next day - and
at 9.30 the next day my husband bought the pickaxe. Isn't that just
great?!! B&Q wouldn't do this ...

Rapid DIY in Liverpool is also one of my favourites. I'd make necklaces
out of those gorgeous copper and silver bolts, nuts and whatnots. Draws
upon draws of bits - what a place!

Old 21-05-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"Redman" wrote in message
Ok I was late in getting my new greenhouse up. I purchased 6 tomato plants
from B&Q that were a decent size and planted straight into the ground, no
growbags. Put plenty of organic compost and about 2Kgs of Rockdust through
the soil. Watered the plants well but now I've lost one of them, it just
seemed to wilt and looked like it had some sort of fungus growing on it
but
as I'm a bit of a novice I couldn't be 100% sure.

I had this problem once, but I didn't see any fungal damage. If it's not
fungus, it may be caused by the soil change.
These plants are grown in peat and it may be the Ph shock on transplant.
I put a 12" dia layer by 4" deep, of peat around each plant and water in
well. I also find this helps with cucumber plants, that are painfully slow
to grow.

Bertie

Old 21-05-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Bertie Doe wrote:
I had this problem once, but I didn't see any fungal damage. If it's not
fungus, it may be caused by the soil change.
These plants are grown in peat and it may be the Ph shock on transplant.
I put a 12" dia layer by 4" deep, of peat around each plant and water in
well. I also find this helps with cucumber plants, that are painfully slow
to grow.

That's the trouble with B&Q plants tee hee

ps: Have you tried the seeds I've sent you? How is it going?

Old 21-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bertie Doe wrote:
I had this problem once, but I didn't see any fungal damage. If it's not
fungus, it may be caused by the soil change.
These plants are grown in peat and it may be the Ph shock on transplant.
I put a 12" dia layer by 4" deep, of peat around each plant and water in
well. I also find this helps with cucumber plants, that are painfully
slow
to grow.

That's the trouble with B&Q plants tee hee

ps: Have you tried the seeds I've sent you? How is it going?

I'm a bit late this year on the allotment. I planted my spuds only 2 weeks
ago and planted your seeds last weekend plus some Blue Lake French runners.
Obviously no sign of any sprouting yet.
I was hoping for dry weather this w/end as I need to weed, dig and plant
some Kohl Rabbi and Bulb fennel seedlings - but alas no luck but thanks
again.

Bertie

Old 22-05-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Bertie Doe wrote:
I'm a bit late this year on the allotment. I planted my spuds only 2 weeks
ago and planted your seeds last weekend plus some Blue Lake French runners.
Obviously no sign of any sprouting yet.
I was hoping for dry weather this w/end as I need to weed, dig and plant
some Kohl Rabbi and Bulb fennel seedlings - but alas no luck but thanks
again.

My pleasure. Never to late to plant you know! As far as the planting
time by the moon is concerned, since last tuesday is the time, so I
hope that brings you a smile of encouragement )

The weather here has been awful - totally abominable. Got very fed up.
I however managed 3 hours (till 8pm) last night when the downpour
stopped. I'm so glad I worked so hard on raising my beds because I
could see some allotments with natural ponds developing ( I've put
in the lonnnnnnnng chinese green beans I have sent you. I only hope my
poles are long enough. My friend took the rest as I'm not sure I can
grow the 2kg aubergines!!

Old 22-05-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bertie Doe wrote:
I'm a bit late this year on the allotment. I planted my spuds only 2
weeks

snip

My pleasure. Never to late to plant you know! As far as the planting
time by the moon is concerned, since last tuesday is the time, so I
hope that brings you a smile of encouragement )

The weather here has been awful - totally abominable. Got very fed up.
I however managed 3 hours (till 8pm) last night when the downpour
stopped. I'm so glad I worked so hard on raising my beds because I
could see some allotments with natural ponds developing ( I've put
in the lonnnnnnnng chinese green beans I have sent you. I only hope my
poles are long enough. My friend took the rest as I'm not sure I can
grow the 2kg aubergines!!

This year, I'm using 1x1 inch stakes for our dahlias, which has freed up a
lot of 8 foot bamboos, but still no sign of sprouting yet - we need a couple
of days of sun!!

Bertie

Old 22-05-2006, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Bertie Doe wrote:
This year, I'm using 1x1 inch stakes for our dahlias, which has freed up a
lot of 8 foot bamboos, but still no sign of sprouting yet - we need a couple
of days of sun!!

How trully weird!! I was talking about my dahlias at lunch time with my
friend. I bought some with her last year, the Roxy dark ones, and
nothing, absolutely nothing is happening. As it's the first time I do
them, I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong. I got a bit confused
with the storing of the tubers, you see roll eyes Glad you mentioned
it. We all need sunshine indeed!!

Old 22-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Bertie Doe wrote:

I'm a bit late this year on the allotment. I planted my spuds only 2 weeks
ago and planted your seeds last weekend plus some Blue Lake French runners.
Obviously no sign of any sprouting yet.

I know the feeling. I'm still trying to get my brassica bed sorted so I
can plant out all the seedlings I've germinated (and I want to get some
swedes and turnips in the ground), but the weather seems to be dead set
against it this week.

My broad beans are also now horizontal beans, thanks to the winds we've
had in the last four or five days. Doesn't look like there's much sign
of improvement until next week, either

On the bright side, the top field is absolutely covered in buttercups
and looks stunning. If we ever get any sun I'll have to take some
photos.

james
Old 22-05-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bertie Doe wrote:
This year, I'm using 1x1 inch stakes for our dahlias, which has freed up
lot of 8 foot bamboos, but still no sign of sprouting yet - we need a
couple
of days of sun!!

How trully weird!! I was talking about my dahlias at lunch time with my
friend. I bought some with her last year, the Roxy dark ones, and
nothing, absolutely nothing is happening. As it's the first time I do
them, I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong. I got a bit confused
with the storing of the tubers, you see roll eyes Glad you mentioned
it. We all need sunshine indeed!!

We're 500 feet up and East facing. Although Bishop of L poked thru' today, I
know I've lost 10 out of 30 plants this Winter. This was the first year I
didn't lift and store.
Fortunately, I got 12 plugs in mid-April and these are doing fine in the
green house.
One, a med semi cactus is in flower, called Paint-Box, it's stunning - the
others have one or two buds. The garden survivers are only up a couple of
inches - watching for slugs etc.
Bertie

Old 22-05-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"James Fidell" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:

I'm a bit late this year on the allotment. I planted my spuds only 2
weeks
ago and planted your seeds last weekend plus some Blue Lake French
runners.
Obviously no sign of any sprouting yet.

I know the feeling. I'm still trying to get my brassica bed sorted so I
can plant out all the seedlings I've germinated (and I want to get some
swedes and turnips in the ground), but the weather seems to be dead set
against it this week.

My broad beans are also now horizontal beans, thanks to the winds we've
had in the last four or five days. Doesn't look like there's much sign
of improvement until next week, either

On the bright side, the top field is absolutely covered in buttercups
and looks stunning. If we ever get any sun I'll have to take some
photos.

Yep, I think everythings about 3 weeks late this year. One plus is a dozen
caulis that should have matured in Dec/Jan, were eaten last month.
This year I need to make a decision, get rid of one of the allotments or buy
a rotavator - 2 allotments are getting too much for me.

Bertie

Old 23-05-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Bertie Doe wrote:
Yep, I think everythings about 3 weeks late this year. One plus is a dozen
caulis that should have matured in Dec/Jan, were eaten last month.
This year I need to make a decision, get rid of one of the allotments or buy
a rotavator - 2 allotments are getting too much for me.

Surely there's third option:- get a friend for your second allotment.
With your expertise and help, his/hers ideas and company not to mention
extra pair of hands, surely there's someone you know who would be happy
to 'take on' half of your second lotty?! From experience I think
donating half of the lotty is a good idea since it gives ownership to
one and therefore works better than having voluntary help on occasion.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"La Puce" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
Yep, I think everythings about 3 weeks late this year. One plus is a
dozen
caulis that should have matured in Dec/Jan, were eaten last month.
This year I need to make a decision, get rid of one of the allotments or
buy
a rotavator - 2 allotments are getting too much for me.

Surely there's third option:- get a friend for your second allotment.
With your expertise and help, his/hers ideas and company not to mention
extra pair of hands, surely there's someone you know who would be happy
to 'take on' half of your second lotty?! From experience I think
donating half of the lotty is a good idea since it gives ownership to
one and therefore works better than having voluntary help on occasion.

I own one and rent the other. I would prefer the rotavator route, if I could
get long term tenure on the rented one.Food for thought.

Bertie