Old 22-05-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default What's eating my sprouts?

I planted brussels sprout seedlings acquired from the local garden
centre about 3 weeks ago. They are taking well to the garden, and I
have sprinkled the immediate surroundings with environmentally friendly
anti slug pellets. However, the leaves of two of the seedlings have
been nibbled to the central rib - yet I cannot see any likely guilty
party - caterpillar or other.
What could be eating my sprouts, and what can I do to stop it?

TIA

Cat(h)

Old 22-05-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
I planted brussels sprout seedlings acquired from the local garden
centre about 3 weeks ago. They are taking well to the garden, and I
have sprinkled the immediate surroundings with environmentally friendly
anti slug pellets. However, the leaves of two of the seedlings have
been nibbled to the central rib - yet I cannot see any likely guilty
party - caterpillar or other.
What could be eating my sprouts, and what can I do to stop it?

Birds like Brassicas apparently but I have not grown any in ages so
cannot comment specifically. I have been watching starlings grab
handfuls of foliage from me herb garden and fly off with them (nesting
material??; lumps of sage and oregano!!). Pigeons are supposed to eat
cabbage leaves.

With all the recent rain, our garden is awash with slugs and snails.
The rain washed away the alu sulphate granules and stops it working.
Nightly visits with torch is all I can do now. I grab them and fling
them to the jungle side of the garden; handfuls at a time it seems.
Could still be a rogue slug; or sluggish rogue (ho ho ho).

TIA

Cat(h)

Old 22-05-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
I planted brussels sprout seedlings acquired from the local garden
centre about 3 weeks ago. They are taking well to the garden, and I
have sprinkled the immediate surroundings with environmentally friendly
anti slug pellets. However, the leaves of two of the seedlings have
been nibbled to the central rib - yet I cannot see any likely guilty
party - caterpillar or other.
What could be eating my sprouts, and what can I do to stop it?

Birds like Brassicas apparently but I have not grown any in ages so
cannot comment specifically. I have been watching starlings grab
handfuls of foliage from me herb garden and fly off with them (nesting
material??; lumps of sage and oregano!!). Pigeons are supposed to eat
cabbage leaves.

They're only small seedlings, wouldn't a pigeon or a picking starling
simply pluck them out of the ground rather than neatly eat the leaves
to the ribs ?

With all the recent rain, our garden is awash with slugs and snails.
The rain washed away the alu sulphate granules and stops it working.
Nightly visits with torch is all I can do now. I grab them and fling
them to the jungle side of the garden; handfuls at a time it seems.

I have maintained the slug pellets, though you may be right that after
all the rain of the last week, the active element may have washed off.
I reapplied on Saturday - though that was before yesterday;s downpour,
so I will have to do it again soon...

Could still be a rogue slug; or sluggish rogue (ho ho ho).

But maybe it's a really clever caterpillar that comes, eats, and then
legs it real quick when he sees me approaching... The damage done
looks like it was made by a small "mouth" if you see what I mean.

Cat(h)

Old 22-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:
But maybe it's a really clever caterpillar that comes, eats, and then
legs it real quick when he sees me approaching... The damage done
looks like it was made by a small "mouth" if you see what I mean.

Pixie?

Old 22-05-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
But maybe it's a really clever caterpillar that comes, eats, and then
legs it real quick when he sees me approaching... The damage done
looks like it was made by a small "mouth" if you see what I mean.

Pixie?

A possibility which should never be overlooked.
What is an environmentally sound method of pixie control?

Cat(h)

Old 22-05-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:
La Puce wrote:
Pixie?

A possibility which should never be overlooked.
What is an environmentally sound method of pixie control?

LOL!! Grow enough veggies on your plot so that you can share with them
)

Old 22-05-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Gary Woods wrote:
Not acceptable. I'll make contact with the wee folk however I can.
The general feeling is that they're an asset, and don't eat much.

And they're pretty too cute smile

Old 22-05-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:
Well, my back is mostly always turned, seen as I can only give some of
my week ends to gardening... There are lots of pigeons in my area, and
at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in the trees above the
garden.
What can I do to discourage them?

You need nets or cages.

Old 22-05-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Easynews

wrote in message
ps.com...

Cat(h) wrote:
La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
But maybe it's a really clever caterpillar that comes, eats, and then
legs it real quick when he sees me approaching... The damage done
looks like it was made by a small "mouth" if you see what I mean.

Pixie?

A possibility which should never be overlooked.
What is an environmentally sound method of pixie control?

Sobriety!

Des

Cat(h)

No, no, wrong approach, it never works. If you are worried about Pixies, you
need to go for a drink. Once you get to the stage where you are no longer
worried but joining in the party, you can stop drinking.

Old 22-05-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: La Puce wrote:
: Cat(h) wrote:
: Well, my back is mostly always turned, seen as I can only give some of
: my week ends to gardening... There are lots of pigeons in my area, and
: at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in the trees above
the
: garden.
: What can I do to discourage them?
:
: You need nets or cages.
:
: I am starting to get flowers and early fruits on my strawberries,
: raspberries, gooseberries and other currants... I think I am going to
: build one HUGE cage all around my garden. Last year, I tasted ONE
: raspberry.
: Birds are evil.
:
: Cat(h)

They've just got good taste. We always net all fruit and cabbage stuff but
tie it taut so the birds don't get caught in it

Old 22-05-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "david taylor" contains these words:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Well, my back is mostly always turned, seen as I can only give some of
my week ends to gardening... There are lots of pigeons in my area, and
at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in the trees above the
garden.
What can I do to discourage them?

I have had a lot of trouble with woodpigeons over the years. They tend to
devour and strip brassicas rather than just nibble, and I used to net
brassica plants to protect them.
Last year I witnessed a collared dove attacking some brocco;i plants
which
were in a pot. It had a more delicate nibbling style than the wood pigeons
and is a possible culprit.
This year has been very cold and it could be that some birds are becoming
desparate in their eating habits.

An interesting thought. I have never had trouble with pigeons eating
brassicas until for the first time this year. I hadn't thought to blame
the weather.

Janet G
Old 23-05-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Janet Galpin wrote:
The message
from "david taylor" contains these words:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
[...]

Interesting indeed. As well as a multitude of wood pigeons all over
the area, I have at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in
the trees above my garden. The CD idea sounds interesting, and I might
try that. I assume I need to thread them onto strings hanging from
poles above the plants so that they catch the light and frighten the
cabbage lovers?

Cat(h)

Brussell Sprouts with no Sprouts! [email protected] Gardening 6 07-09-2008 11:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
pepper sprouts brian Edible Gardening 2 02-03-2003 11:39 AM
Red Brussels Sprouts and others Jerome R. Long Edible Gardening 5 24-02-2003 06:04 PM