Old 31-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Plant IDs please - worrisit ?

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:19:17 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)
White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)
446 = Not telling you yet
453=Acanthus
462=Hellebore
471=Sedum Autumn spectabile/Joy
373 =Syringia =Lilac

Where did you get those numbers from!?!? 453 Acanthus off course!! Not
sure about the Hellebore though ... and I'm not sure about your number
so I don't know what you are referring to ))

The numbers are the last 3 digits of the URL--I think.
Flowers are Hellebore-perhaps leaves belong to something else but they
too
look ok to me. It's probably H. foetidus or similar
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550462

Yes, I'm sure that's right.

Are you going to tell us what the big tall thingy is? :-)
http://adm.smugmug.com/gallery/1401195/1/72550446
Hint:-It is not an Aquilegia

Thalictrum flavium glauca.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Spoil sport:-) You deprived La Puce of a micromoment of Glory.

Old 31-05-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)

Dead nettle family, but I think it's the red flowered hedge woundwort,
Stachys sylvatica, which smells something horrid when you pull it up.

Dunno the only one I am familiar with is the white one which makes a very
handsome plant with an almost impossible tap root.

White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)

It's a bedstraw - if you look closely, it has 4 petals not five, and you
can see several of the characteristic whorled leaves - 1in to the L and
0,5 inches down, for example.

Yes got it know. You have good eyesight or is mine getting even worse.
I don't know what the abundant shoots which fill up most of the photo are.
--

Me neither and he did not ask. I suppose Lysimachia clethroides might fit
some. I think I can see Oenothera or perhaps Hesperis matronalis.

Kay

Old 31-05-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:35:59 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:19:17 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Tsk. I'm using a new newsreader and am, I hope, becoming slowly accustomed
to it. In the meantime, certain nuances may be lost to me......and clearly
that was one of them! We have that plant in the garden and its cousin
"Hewitt's Double'. I'm tempted to start a book on how many people tell us
each year that it's a type of Gypsophila.
However, to go back to the queries of the original poster, I would suggest
that he doesn't nuke his garden just yet. Looks like the previous owner had
some plant knowledge and some unusual plants in there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

[...]

Thanks everyone !

I most certainly do have a goodley collection of plants. I have about half
an acre of garden that I am slowly taming. I bought the house last year and
everything had been left to run riot for a few years. There is also a field
next door, so lots of wild flowers and other plants had started to invade.
Everyone that comes here says that there is a very good selection of plants
in the garden - something to give colour at almost any time of year. I just
have to figure out what they all are and how best to care for them.

Anyway - those were the five plants that I knew nothig about yesterday. Now
I at least know what they are. There's more to come.....

Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:35:59 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:19:17 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

Nukes are on standby for now. I'm going to go in with a smaller tactical
assault unit and do some political destabilisation instead !

Old 01-06-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"adm" wrote in message
news

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:35:59 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:19:17 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

I have had 4 gardens in the past 10 years and have inherited plants in each
case and at first it is all exciting as you wonder what treasures you have
inherited. Sadly, most of the treasures turn out to be invasive weeds that
have taken the opportunity to run riot between owners. It ends up being
very very hard to renovate existing beds. The easiest way long term and by
far the most satisfying to look at is to start brand new beds from scratch.
You may not have room for it or the best parts of teh garden may already be
taken by existing beds so it may not be possible, in which case this advice
is useless. If there are nice existing plants, try to dig them out without
any weeds or take cuttings and start them off again in teh new beds. Then
you can nuke old beds one by one (organise regime change; install puppeet
administrations etc).
Old beds that have grass, brambles, hungarian bladder weed, broken bottles,
rubble etc. can be very very hard work and
horribly disappointing as they seem to look tatty no matter what you do.

When you start a bed from scratch, you get automatic bare soil and razor
sharp edges (having done a lot of digging and clearing which admittedly is
hard work; in our case my wife does it; I kid you not; she likes digging).
It is easier to plan what goes where and to control weeds, if neccessary by
roundup at the start and by digging out roots etc.

If you do have old treasures, then on the plus side, it is fun seeing if
they are nice or not and seeing what comes up.
You can be lucky.

Des

Old 01-06-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:41:03 +0100, "adm" wrote:

I most certainly do have a goodley collection of plants. I have about half
an acre of garden that I am slowly taming. I bought the house last year and
everything had been left to run riot for a few years. There is also a field
next door, so lots of wild flowers and other plants had started to invade.
Everyone that comes here says that there is a very good selection of plants
in the garden - something to give colour at almost any time of year. I just
have to figure out what they all are and how best to care for them.

Anyway - those were the five plants that I knew nothig about yesterday. Now
I at least know what they are. There's more to come.....

Why not have an open day and ask urg members to pop round for a look,
cup of tea and piece of cake? ;-)

You'd get endless advice and instant plant recognition.
--
Paul C

Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Spoil sport:-) You deprived La Puce of a micromoment of Glory.

What what?! Glory? Moment? Have I missed something?!

Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
By a mile, as usual.

Aargghhh, you just adore me really.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"adm" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

[...]

I just noticed that in your original post you also asked about reference
sources and mentioned the RHS encyclopaedia.
I am not certain which one you mean as there are several. The "A-Z
encyclopaedia of garden plants" and the gardeners' "Encyclopaedia of Plants
& Flowers". The later classifies things by season, height and colour.
If you do not possess this one then it is worth the money.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:27:22 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

Why not have an open day and ask urg members to pop round for a look,
cup of tea and piece of cake? ;-)

You'd get endless advice and instant plant recognition.

But we do the endless advice and instant recognition thing anyway,
even without the tea and cake :-)

I recall that I once promised to fax you a cream tea............ ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:27:09 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message et
from Sacha Hubbard contains these words:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:27:22 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

Why not have an open day and ask urg members to pop round for a look,
cup of tea and piece of cake? ;-)

You'd get endless advice and instant plant recognition.

But we do the endless advice and instant recognition thing anyway,
even without the tea and cake :-)

I recall that I once promised to fax you a cream tea............ ;-)

It still hasn't arrived, partly because I haven't got a fax.

Ah. That would explain the smell of sour cream emanating from
mine...........

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"adm" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

[...]

That's the one I have - and it's a lovely book. The problem is, it shows
pictures of the flowers of all the plants, and mine aren't all flowering
yet....

Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:33:15 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
[...]

Can I have a refund, then? :~}

Janet.

Only if you claim it in person.
In all seriousness and very much of the moment, we had some people return a
golden hop today, claiming something was wrong with it. All that was wrong
was that they hadn't planted it in the two weeks they'd had it and hadn't
watered it, either. I showed it to Ray who confirmed this and offered them a
replacement but no, they chose a Solanum instead. Off they went, very happy
bunnies. The kicker is that one of our staff used to work at a garden centre
in this area and she says that they played this game so often there that they
were, eventually, banned from returning plants of any sort, at all. They buy
a plant, let it stand around untended for a week or two, bring it back,
choose another that's a little more expensive and expect not to have to pay
the difference, do the same thing a couple of weeks later and so on and so
on. IOW, they never actually plant anything! They admire it for a while,
until they kill it and then ask for a more expensive replacement of something
entirely different, trading up all the time!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:29:14 +0100, Sacha Hubbard
wrote:

[...]

I'm obviously a very naive person but I find such antics bordering on
the incredible. I wouldn't have the sheer front to do that. I find the
whole concept of taking plants back after I'd bought them and planted
them rather amazing - with perhaps the exception of buying a very
particular type of plant and not receiving the particular variety
requested.
--
Paul C

Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
OT-Worrisit Rod Craddock United Kingdom 9 12-09-2005 11:46 PM
Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly? Jim W United Kingdom 17 28-07-2003 01:03 PM
Worrisit? Seed.. Any ideas? Jim W United Kingdom 0 23-04-2003 05:56 AM