Old 31-05-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

Default Waste transfer licence

Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?

Old 31-05-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:27:19 +0100, Thomas Fairweather wrote
(in article ):

Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?

Thomas, if you wish to be a professional, would you not ask the
professionals? In other words, your local council? Really, I do think that
would be wiser for you because the last thing you want to do is upset them
before you get started!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Thomas Fairweather" wrote in message
Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?

I second the advice given by Sacha and here is a chap with a not dissimilar
question.
http://www.homeworking.com/discus/me...tml?1132856625

Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Thomas Fairweather" wrote in message
Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?

No, you need a waste carriers licence. You get it from your County Council.
Mine cost £89.00 in March 2004.

If for instance you took a part load of waste back to your house or premises
and unloaded it waiting for a full load, then you would need a waste
transfer licence for your premises which would then become a waste transfer
station, which is a vast difference, and hugely expensive.

Steve

Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Fairweather
Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?
I work for a local council (not yours though ) and I imagine it will be the same all over. A waste transfer note is given by someone who is authorised to transfer your waste. As a professional person you should not dispose at a local amenity site as this is for 'household waste' even though that waste is the same as yours effectively your waste is not household. You should apply to the environment agency to become a waste carrier. there is a chrage involved in this however. If you dispose of at a local household site and get caught it can carry a heavy fine. Sorry for the bad news but if it helps I think the EA process is relatively hassle free!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article et,
Sacha Hubbard writes:
| On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:27:19 +0100, Thomas Fairweather wrote
| (in article ):
|
| Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
| need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
| any experience of this?
|
| Thomas, if you wish to be a professional, would you not ask the
| professionals? In other words, your local council? Really, I do think that
| would be wiser for you because the last thing you want to do is upset them
| before you get started!

It is a VERY bad idea to trust them as far as you can throw their offices,
until you have confirmation that they are a decent organisation. Here,
Cambridgeshite Council Council is one of the most institutionally rotten
organisations that I know of. Oh, no, it doesn't take BRIBES - well,
none that I know of - but you can't trust it an inch.

You DEFINITELY need unbiassed information when dealing with ones like
that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

It is a VERY bad idea to trust them as far as you can throw their offices,
until you have confirmation that they are a decent organisation. Here,
Cambridgeshite Council Council is one of the most institutionally rotten
organisations that I know of. Oh, no, it doesn't take BRIBES - well,
none that I know of - but you can't trust it an inch.

You DEFINITELY need unbiassed information when dealing with ones like
that.

Not just your Nick, try the Isle of Wight County Council :-((((

I know the inner workings of said Council and I could write a book about it
:-(( HOWEVER, that is because of the directives of the Councillors, the
'plebs' themselves, ie the workers who actually DO the work don't like it
iether, but have to keep their traps shut ........... 'or else'.

I have a fine working arrangement with many of the Council staff and know
how to go about getting things done, but that is by working with them and
working the system.

You are soooooooooooooooooooo right in telling the OP to get 'with the
Council' and not against them :-))

Michael Crowe

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Michael Crowe" writes:

| Not just your Nick, try the Isle of Wight County Council :-((((
|
| I know the inner workings of said Council and I could write a book about it
| :-(( HOWEVER, that is because of the directives of the Councillors, the
| 'plebs' themselves, ie the workers who actually DO the work don't like it
| iether, but have to keep their traps shut ........... 'or else'.

In the case of Cambridgeshire County Council, the councillors are no more
in control than ministers are of Whitehall, but it would be wrong to put
the blame on the majority of officials. Like so many others, it is the
organisation that is rotten to the core, but no person has the power to
sort it out even given the intent.

And, of course, the root CAUSE of that dysfunctionality lies in Whitehall
(and at the door of the Blessed Margaret).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| I can't speak for other parts of the UK, but in Scotland all area
| councils are legally obliged to provide the public with written copies
| on request, of all their service provisions on planning, waste
| disposal, education, etc etc etc. Anyone can pick up a printed copy of
| the set of regulations they are interested in at local offices, request
| one by phone letter or email, or download it from a website.

It's not what is written that matters, it's what is read.

| WHATEVER his local council's waste disposal arrangements are, those
| are what the OP has to comply with. So as Sacha says, asking the council
| for a copy is the only rational and pragmatic starting point. He also
| needs to be aware that some work garden contractors may be asked to do
| (remove designated invasive weeds for example) has its own raft of EU
| and national legislation (and requires another, different license).

That isn't my point, which is that the interpretation may not be done
using normal English meaning, or even in good faith. It is critical to
find out how those documents are interpreted before attempting to rely
on them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

That isn't my point, which is that the interpretation may not be done
using normal English meaning, or even in good faith. It is critical to
find out how those documents are interpreted before attempting to rely
on them.

"Eats shoots and leaves"

:-))

Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

| WHATEVER his local council's waste disposal arrangements are, those
| are what the OP has to comply with. So as Sacha says, asking the
council
| for a copy is the only rational and pragmatic starting point. He also
| needs to be aware that some work garden contractors may be asked to do
| (remove designated invasive weeds for example) has its own raft of EU
| and national legislation (and requires another, different license).

That isn't my point, which is that the interpretation may not be done
using normal English meaning, or even in good faith. It is critical to
find out how those documents are interpreted before attempting to rely
on them.

That's an interesting point because round our way, (Sedgefield) when one
tries to hold the council accountable to their downloadable documents, one
is labeled as a trouble maker. IMO that is why our council seem very
reluctant contact me by letter.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

Don't forget if you take 'rubbish' home and do something with it.

You are then a processor, and need another licence, and planning
permission.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Thomas Fairweather wrote:
Hi, I am starting a professional gardening business in lincolnshire. Do I
need a waste transfere licence to take green waste to the tip? Anyone have
any experience of this?

If your business is creating a huge amount of waste you could benefit
from infill tax rebates. Have you looked into this? There's lots of
schemes around ran by council.

Check with this and possibly your local council website. If you can
recycle your waste, you could even save money and do your bit for the
environment.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ENVIRONMENT/...ment/index.htm