Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Periproct

Default My creeper

Hi

Very ignorant on these matters so here is my question.

I have some kind of creeper that is now going across the bottom of my
garden, right down the length of the garden and has now completely covered
the side up the house up to roof level.

My neighbour on one side doesn't like it at all and I'm sure the neighbour
on the other side won't be too pleased if it starts getting into his garden.
I'm also concerned about the damage it might do if it starts getting under
the slates on the roof.

Although I think it looks OK I'm thinking for practical purposes I'd be
better getting rid of it completely. Is there any way of killing it off
permanently? I'm thinkingof something I can feed it at the point it is
growing from.
I have chopped it quite severely in the past and it almost seems like it can
keep growing even after the main stems have been cut. As if the branches can
keep living after the roots have been cut off if that makes sense.

Thanks for any advice, regards, Nigel

Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Periproct" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds as if you have Russian Vine or a 'Mile a Minute' plant. Has it got
long tenticles reaching out and grabbing you yet?

Chop it off at the root, BUT, any branch touching the ground roots itself
and hey presto, off we ago again with ANOTHER plant :-(( and so on and so
forth.

If this is what it is, hack it back certainly before it gets into the roof,
roof space, and thence down the ceiling hatch into the hall or bedrooms and
strangles you whilst you are in bed with its long tenticles :-((

Honest statement if it is Russian Vine

Pretty white flowers later , but ............

:-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Periproct" writes:

| I have some kind of creeper that is now going across the bottom of my
| garden, right down the length of the garden and has now completely covered
| the side up the house up to roof level.

It's the Killer Creeper from Out There - we're all doomed!

You need to post a description or put a picture on a Web page.

| I have chopped it quite severely in the past and it almost seems like it can
| keep growing even after the main stems have been cut. As if the branches can
| keep living after the roots have been cut off if that makes sense.

Many creepers root readily from their branches, into even minimal soil
(such as formed from a few rotted leaves).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/6/06 12:49, in article , "Periproct"
wrote:

[...]

What is it, do you know? It sounds a bit like Russian Vine aka Mile a
Minute Vine or more correctly Fallopia baldschuanica. Have a look at this
and see if it's familiar:
http://tinyurl.com/hs6lm

If it is, I think the only final answer is weed killer on every bit you can
find. It's a real menace and shouldn't be planted unless someone has
hundreds of yards of bareness to cover!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-06-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , Sacha writes:

| If it is, I think the only final answer is weed killer on every bit you can
| find. It's a real menace and shouldn't be planted unless someone has
| hundreds of yards of bareness to cover!

The same applies to out-of-control ivy, virginia creeper, Hydrangea
petiolaris or even Ipomoea indica!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/6/06 14:13, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:

| If it is, I think the only final answer is weed killer on every bit you can
| find. It's a real menace and shouldn't be planted unless someone has
| hundreds of yards of bareness to cover!

The same applies to out-of-control ivy, virginia creeper, Hydrangea
petiolaris or even Ipomoea indica!

I don't think I've heard of H. petiolaris or indeed any of those behaving in
quite that way, especially as it's been chopped back hard in the past. The
likelihood of Ipomoea doing that in a garden in this country at this time of
year, or any other, is very remote. And I'm guessing the OP would know what
ivy looks like and possibly virginia creeper, too.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk