Old 13-06-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Reid

Default strimmer

the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?
--
Mike Reid
Shetland, Yell and Unst
Old 13-06-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"The Reid" wrote in message
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?
--

Oh yes, it gives them what for.

I've got a Robin one which I got off freecycle, but I've seen JCB ones
advertised in Aldi occasionally for £59.99 (IIRC)

Don't forget your gloves and goggles, they chuck bits of nettles in all
directions.

Steve

Old 13-06-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

"The Reid" wrote in message
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?
--

Oh yes, it gives them what for.

I've got a Robin one which I got off freecycle, but I've seen JCB ones
advertised in Aldi occasionally for £59.99 (IIRC)

Don't forget your gloves and goggles, they chuck bits of nettles in all
directions.

Steve

The little battery ones are useless. The big petrol ones are the best, I
cannot use my husbands as I find it too heavy so he bought me a Stihl
FS45, around £120 ish. I can handle that fairly easy, Steve is right
they do chuck bits of nettle everywhere :-)

kate
Old 13-06-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"The Reid" wrote in message
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?
--

Oh yes, it gives them what for.

I've got a Robin one which I got off freecycle, but I've seen JCB ones
advertised in Aldi occasionally for £59.99 (IIRC)

Don't forget your gloves and goggles, they chuck bits of nettles in all
directions.

don't bother with a strimmer. get yourself a brushcutter. they are the
same price but much better.

Old 13-06-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"The Reid" wrote in message
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?

Any of the Honda engines range.
You'll appreciate the lack of vibration and smell of 2 stroke won't be there
either.

Some packs have a brushcutter attachment too. Watch the feet ;-)

Full face mask is essential, as would be earplugs for longer periods of use.

Oh,
By the way,

You'll have fun picking the bits of thistle, nettle and weed from your
clothing and socks. especially when it all starts to itch like F**k ;-)

Old 13-06-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Mike Reid stopped walking for a moment and asked
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?

Any of the petrol ones will outperform the battery electriic ones, and by a
large degree.

Lots of makes, mostly 2 stroke engines so you have to mix special oil with
the petrol.

Stihl are acknowledged to be the most robust, best, which is why
professionals use them, sky's the limit price wise.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product
I use a Husqvarna and am very pleased with it's performance and durability
and would buy another.( they also make an excellent 2 stroke oil)
http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/
Then there are the Honda 4 stroke engined ones, no mixing of oil, less
vibration and a lot less noise but again not cheap.
http://www.honda.co.uk/garden/Garden...ers&MowerType=

About £120 gets you a decent 2 stroke strimmer capable of the job you want
it for, but don't forget the full face visor, gloves, and ear protectors,
and always cover up, they can and do chuck stones at you together with bits
of nettle etc. If you can get one with a harness it makes life easier.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-06-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

thanks for all the advice!
Old 15-06-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

thanks for all the advice!

I was surprised to find my local garden centres don't stock
mowers etc any more! Restros are more profitable + the effect of
the web?
Anyway, having read this thread and the other recent one and
spoken to the blokes at the allotment I've ordered a Honda 4
stroke UMK425UE with "motorcycle" grip, harness, googles and
blade kit from west skelton services. £255.00
The bloke on the next plot had a tripe bypass and the one beyond
that the lady is 85 so I reckon with a nice machine I can do all
three.

that grass is gonna kiss a*** !
Old 15-06-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

The bloke on the next plot had a tripe bypass and the one beyond
that the lady is 85 so I reckon with a nice machine I can do all
three.

that grass is gonna kiss a*** !

Yes, that too has been known to happen with strimmers..make sure your
neighbours are well out of range when using it.
:-)

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 15-06-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to The Reid

thanks for all the advice!

I was surprised to find my local garden centres don't stock
mowers etc any more! Restros are more profitable + the effect of
the web?
Anyway, having read this thread and the other recent one and
spoken to the blokes at the allotment I've ordered a Honda 4
stroke UMK425UE with "motorcycle" grip, harness, googles and
blade kit from west skelton services. £255.00
The bloke on the next plot had a tripe bypass and the one beyond
that the lady is 85 so I reckon with a nice machine I can do all
three.

that grass is gonna kiss a*** !

I was forced to eat tripe as a kid, and it was the most disgusting thing I
ever put in my mouth.

Bypassing it is always a good idea.

Steve

Old 15-06-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

I was forced to eat tripe as a kid, and it was the most disgusting thing I
ever put in my mouth.

Me too, but wait till you strim a big slug.

Janet

Old 16-06-2006, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:
I was forced to eat tripe as a kid, and it was the most disgusting thing I
ever put in my mouth.

Me too, but wait till you strim a big slug.

There are worse things to strim...

....a "keeping cats out thread" ?

Perhaps not!

Old 16-06-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Reid

Following up to shazzbat

I was forced to eat tripe as a kid, and it was the most disgusting thing I
ever put in my mouth.

Bypassing it is always a good idea.

those spellcheckers! Thats my favouite typo for weeks!
Old 16-06-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Reid

Following up to Chris Bacon

Me too, but wait till you strim a big slug.

There are worse things to strim...

hence the expression, "when the *** hits the strimmer"?

Strimmer ? Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 1 17-04-2009 06:03 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 04:32 PM
Where to buy a petrol strimmer? Mike United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
electric shock from my strimmer Charlieb United Kingdom 6 17-10-2002 01:31 PM