Old 14-07-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Default Bindweed

My garden has been attacked by bindweed in the last 2 years.
Where has it come from and how do I get rid of it? Because it is
intertwined with established plants it is very difficult to dig up.

Old 14-07-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

John wrote:
My garden has been attacked by bindweed in the last 2 years.
Where has it come from and how do I get rid of it? Because it is
intertwined with established plants it is very difficult to dig up.

Difficult that convolusus - a pain actually. I've learn to live with
it. I plant sticks (made from my cabbage tree or Jersey kale) and let
the bindweed go up it. Then I remove the sticks and make sure I get all
the root out too. If you've got them on established plant, I find that
snapping the base of it and then leave it to die for a couple of days
is then easier to take off the established plants. Or use lots of
patience )

Old 14-07-2006, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
that?

Old 14-07-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

John wrote:
Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
that?

Not me, never and won't ever either )

Old 14-07-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"John" wrote
My garden has been attacked by bindweed in the last 2 years.
Where has it come from and how do I get rid of it? Because it is
intertwined with established plants it is very difficult to dig up.

It's a pity it's so invasive in gardens because on rough ground or
roadside verges I always think bindweed looks lovely in flower. As well
as from seed coming in somehow, it can grow from any little piece of
broken off root, so it might have arrived with plants you've bought or
been given, in imported soil or manure, or just crept under the fence.

Some people with eagle eyes and patience advocate simply pulling or
digging up every shoot you can spot as soon as it shows its head, until
it finally gives up the ghost. That can take a few seasons though.

I've managed to get rid of bindweed that had sneaked into the base of
other plants by painting the shoots with glyphosate herbicide, which is
drawn into the plant and kills the root. To make sure you don't also
wipe out your prized plants you can put a cane or peastick in at a
suitable angle and first train the bindweed outwards 'til it's clear,
then treat.

Another method I've heard of here is to gather up as much as you can of
the long shoots into a handful and stuff them in a plastic bag, then
spray with glyphosate inside the bag, tie it up well or seal tightly
with a twist tie and leave the weed to expire.

--
Sue

Old 14-07-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"John" wrote

Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
that?

Yes, use it on the new allotment where there are a few patches of it. Dug
out as much as possible but it still comes back so am now using the thick
pasty type liquid (Deep Root Weedkiller Gel) with it's own brush which I
just brush on the leaves. Kills it overnight and also does for the roots
eventually after you have painted a few new shoots as they come up (which
get weaker each time they appear). Should be clear by the end of this
season.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-07-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

John wrote:
Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
that?

Some years I had bindweed running through a seven-foot privet hedge.
I applied glyphosate to it, trying to protect the hedge at the same time.
Result In two years the hedge was dead.

The bindweed ? Oh yes. It is flourishing still today.
Old 14-07-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , sam writes:
| John wrote:
| Thanks. I've heard that glyphosate kills bindweed. Any experience of
| that?
|
| Some years I had bindweed running through a seven-foot privet hedge.
| I applied glyphosate to it, trying to protect the hedge at the same time.
| Result In two years the hedge was dead.
|
| The bindweed ? Oh yes. It is flourishing still today.

That figures. As I have posted before, bindweed is really a New Zealand
plant, that has grown downwards far enough to come through here.

I have left a vegetable patch fallow for a year, so that I could spray
the bindweed repeatedly with glyphosate. Well, some of the plants were
feeble and did die, but the other just went bushy on top and grew as
vigorously as before after a year or two.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-07-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
If you've got them on established plant, I find that
snapping the base of it and then leave it to die for a couple of days

Yep, that's about it really.

Or you could listen to Flanders and Swann: http://tinyurl.co.uk/sa7q

Old 15-07-2006, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Hi,
SEparate the bindweed from the host plant, and treat as many leaves as you
can with Tumleweed Gel, dso not cut back, but allow to grow naturally.
This Gel is systemic and gets back to the roots killing them over a period
of time.
Any new growth which developes should be treated the same.
I have eradicated it from my garden, including in the lawn, over a few
years.
Bear in mind that you MAY injure plants close by, if they push their roots
through the dying bindweed roots and take up the herbicide that way, but if
they are mature this should not be much of a problem, as the gel will have
been diluted to a much lower level.
regards
Cineman

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
My garden has been attacked by bindweed in the last 2 years.
Where has it come from and how do I get rid of it? Because it is
intertwined with established plants it is very difficult to dig up.

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM