Old 30-07-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedges

Hi

I am told there is something that you can spray on privet hedges that stops
them growing so quickly, this year I seem to be having to cut it every two
weeks to keep it looking nice but up until now I seem to remember only
having to cut it about twice a year and I am wondering if the previous
homeowners used to have it treated with something.

I might be totaly wrong but has anyone any knowledge of this?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 31-07-2006, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message k
from "Andrew" contains these words:

Hi

I am told there is something that you can spray on privet hedges that
stops
them growing so quickly,

There used to be a growth-inhibitor product called Cutlass, I think
it has been withdrawn.

Janet

Nearly right My Bonnie Lassie-it was Cutless and you are right in that it
certainly does not appear to be available in the UK.
I once saw the effect it had on a lawn. Dull, lifeless and balding. Bit like
me really.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Andrew wrote:
Hi

I am told there is something that you can spray on privet hedges that stops
them growing so quickly, this year I seem to be having to cut it every two
weeks to keep it looking nice but up until now I seem to remember only
having to cut it about twice a year and I am wondering if the previous
homeowners used to have it treated with something.

I might be totaly wrong but has anyone any knowledge of this?

Thanks

Andrew

There used to be,Andrew, but not any more.I think it was called Cutlass,
but It has been banned by the European Commission.
We must either keep on clipping or replace the privet with box or some
other slow growing shrub ( or no hedge at all).
Old 31-07-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi

I am told there is something that you can spray on privet hedges that
stops them growing so quickly, this year I seem to be having to cut it
every two weeks to keep it looking nice but up until now I seem to
remember only having to cut it about twice a year and I am wondering if
the previous homeowners used to have it treated with something.

I might be totaly wrong but has anyone any knowledge of this?

Thanks

Andrew

Thank you all for taking the time to answer me, guess I must just keep on
working at it then ))

Thanks again

Andrew

Old 01-08-2006, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message k
from "Andrew" contains these words:

Hi

I am told there is something that you can spray on privet hedges that
stops
them growing so quickly,

There used to be a growth-inhibitor product called Cutlass, I think
it has been withdrawn.

Janet

Nearly right My Bonnie Lassie-it was Cutless and you are right in that it
certainly does not appear to be available in the UK.

I bet you can't spell dikegulac either.

http://www.pan-uk.org/lap/withdrawals.htm

Yes I can it's
2,3:4,6-bis-O-(1-methylethylidene)-a-L-xylo-2-hexulofuranosonic acid.
Natually I assumed that Andrew was posting from America where the product is
still available under the name Cutless -so less of your cutting remarks
lass:-)

I once saw the effect it had on a lawn. Dull, lifeless and balding.
Bit like
me really.

That's what comes of misreading labels on garden chemicals.

True, along with eating pink cowparsley and orna*mental* ginger roots.

Janet.

Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 06:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM