Old 26-08-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleia - dead head

In message , Brian Watson
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote

Have an "embouchure"; it'll see you through the Bank Holiday weekend.

:-)

Oi, Watchit I use my embouchure for playing my flute. Some people say
it makes you look like a camel. (Must have a look in the mirror).

You might also like to make the comparison with an embouchure and the south
end of a north-bound camel, as I think that is what it is they are referring
to.

If you look carefully, you will see that they look pretty much the same
at both ends
--
June Hughes
Old 26-08-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"La Puce" wrote in message

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

I hate people who do this, but - me neither !

You'd think a bullshitter who claims to work in urban regeneration,
would know that buddliea is famous throughout the UK for its ability to
self-seed into any crack in a wall or roof, and all over industrial
waste ground, railway embankments etc.
Janet

Right - put me in the same category then Janet!
Jenny

Old 26-08-2006, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

"La Puce" wrote in message

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

I hate people who do this, but - me neither !

You'd think a bullshitter who claims to work in urban regeneration,
would know that buddliea is famous throughout the UK for its ability to
self-seed into any crack in a wall or roof, and all over industrial
waste ground, railway embankments etc.

It certainly hasn't in my garden. But who am I to know? Thank-you for
your expert comments. I shall bear them in mind......
--
June Hughes
Old 28-08-2006, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

I hate people who do this, but - me neither !

Buddleias germinate freely on dry stony ground, but when we had a large
garden on heavy clay, they only ever germinated on the patches where
bonfires had been.
Those patches would have extra potash, but they were also dryer because
of the surface clay getting fired to something bricklike.

--
Sue ]
Old 29-08-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/06 23:53, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , JennyC
writes

But seriously people - I've never EVER had any seedlings from my
buddleias. So 'crotte de taureau' spring to mind ;o)

I hate people who do this, but - me neither !

Buddleias germinate freely on dry stony ground, but when we had a large
garden on heavy clay, they only ever germinated on the patches where
bonfires had been.
Those patches would have extra potash, but they were also dryer because
of the surface clay getting fired to something bricklike.

They do indeed seed very freely on dry, stony places. Ray remembers them
all over bomb sites during the war and its immediate aftermath. Maybe the
'wild' ones seed more freely than the posh ones.
And speaking of Buddleias, may I recommend B. alternifolia to those who
don't know it. It doesn't look at all as we expect Buddleias to look, IMO
and is very graceful, especially when grown over something like a small
shed/pumphouse/fence etc. That shows why it's called the Fountain Buddleia.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Maybe the
'wild' ones seed more freely than the posh ones.

Indeed. It is well known that cultivated buddleias will attract less
butterflies than the wild buddleias which incidentally self seed. The
cultivated buddleias do not self seed so easily and the paller ones do
attract butterflies more than the dark varieties. Mine, and I've had
plants for years, have never self seeded. My garden is surrounded with
a dry wall and only valerian, wall flowers, sempervivens and lobellias
flourish.

Old 30-08-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
You'd think a bullshitter who claims to work in urban regeneration,

Tu es toujours une petite conne LOL!!!

Old 30-08-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, La
Puce writes

Sacha wrote:
Maybe the
'wild' ones seed more freely than the posh ones.

Indeed. It is well known that cultivated buddleias will attract less
butterflies than the wild buddleias which incidentally self seed. The
cultivated buddleias do not self seed so easily and the paller ones do
attract butterflies more than the dark varieties. Mine, and I've had
plants for years, have never self seeded. My garden is surrounded with
a dry wall and only valerian, wall flowers, sempervivens and lobellias
flourish.

Then I shall assume my neighbours' bush is a posh one and that is why it
has not spread. However, it does get butterflies on it. Its flowers are
a pale lilac colour, which I thought was the common variety.
--
June Hughes
Old 30-08-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
Then I shall assume my neighbours' bush is a posh one and that is why it
has not spread. However, it does get butterflies on it. Its flowers are
a pale lilac colour, which I thought was the common variety.

'Posh one' - I think that's funny if we mean 'cultivated', don't you
think? ;o)

I came accross many butterflies in my garden, a few Peacock and Red
admiral. Buddleias attract tortoishell, speckeled wood and Painted lady
too. I've found a bit of history which I thought you might like: From
Sue Lamb - A closer Look Guide, ... Buddleias was first introduced to
Britain from China around 1890 though these were apparently poor
specimens. By 1898 better stock had been imported and in early 1900
more bush were imported from China. Most of our cultivated buddleias
are descended from this stock. There are 100 species throughout the
world but none is native to Europe although one has become naturalised
here and is called Buddleia davidii also known in China as Summer
Lilac. The latin name is derived from the names of two men: Adam
Buddle, a 17th century naturalist and Peter David, a French missionary
who discovered the bush in the hills of central china in 1869.

There - a bit of knowledge )

Old 30-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes

June Hughes wrote:
[...]

Lovely. I hope my neighbour does not chop any more off the tree.
--
June Hughes

Old 31-08-2006, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

They do indeed seed very freely on dry, stony places. Ray remembers them
all over bomb sites during the war and its immediate aftermath. Maybe the
'wild' ones seed more freely than the posh ones.
And speaking of Buddleias, may I recommend B. alternifolia to those who
don't know it. It doesn't look at all as we expect Buddleias to look, IMO
and is very graceful, especially when grown over something like a small
shed/pumphouse/fence etc. That shows why it's called the Fountain Buddleia.

I've given loads of cuttings away from mine Sacha, indeed it is a very
pretty and wonderfully honey scented shrub/tree. (I grow mine as
standard )
Training it to one trunk then letting it go wild with it's 'mad'
branches means that it is light and airy and shoots from the base can be
cut back. |After flowering all I do is prune out the flowered branches.

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-08-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The French missionary's name was not Peter. It was Pere ("Father")
Armand David.

Janet.

Janet did he discover the Corydalis flexuosa china blue or one similar?
Don't know why I link him with that plant, - just wondered.
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 31-08-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Nope. The first Buddleia introduced in Britain was B. globosa, which
came from Chile, not China, in 1774.

I'll have to write to Sue Lamb and correct her on her 'A closer look
guide', on your behalf of course.... but perhaps not because in 1869,
Pere David indeed returned with the b.davidii, but in 1774 b.globosa
was NAMED, not discovered. This species wasn't grown here, merely
discovered but not cultivated and it's in 1774 that the buddleia was
named, in honour of Adam Buddle.

The latin name is derived from the names of two men: Adam
Buddle, a 17th century naturalist and Peter David, a French missionary

The French missionary's name was not Peter. It was Pere ("Father")
Armand David.

That Pere David is amazing - have you tried to google him? He
discovered so many things from the Davidia tree to the Pere David's
deer and Panda bears too!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
So your earlier claim "Buddleias was first introduced to Britain from
China around 1890" was inaccurate and misleading.

Get a life you mad woman!!

Buddleia dead? Frank Booth United Kingdom 5 17-03-2014 10:44 AM
Dead Buddleia 'Mike' United Kingdom 53 08-09-2008 03:48 PM
Replacement Weed-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n' Cut" fixed 4 line head - Any Good ? Robert11 Lawns 1 05-07-2005 10:35 AM
Should I dead-head Pieris? Cuvapu United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 11:05 AM
when to dead head petunias? R P McMurphy United Kingdom 1 22-08-2003 07:12 PM