Old 22-08-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default has anyone or anybody studying rhs 2?

Hello fellow gardeners. I am new to uk gardening and am looking forward
to chatting with you all.

My main reason for joining is because i am about to start my RHS 2 and
help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to gardening, just
studying. If i can help anyone with questions about gardening then
please just ask.

I hope to find a fellow rhs student to exchange ideas and so on.

Marcus

Old 23-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marcus wrote
Hello fellow gardeners. I am new to uk gardening and am looking forward
to chatting with you all.

My main reason for joining is because i am about to start my RHS 2 and
help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to gardening, just
studying. If i can help anyone with questions about gardening then
please just ask.

I hope to find a fellow rhs student to exchange ideas and so on.

Welcome, some very knowlegeable people hang about here (as well as some
fools!)

Studying for fun or is there a serious reason behind it?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-08-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mariposa wrote:
Hello fellow gardeners. I am new to uk gardening and am looking forward
to chatting with you all.
My main reason for joining is because i am about to start my RHS 2 and
help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to gardening, just
studying. If i can help anyone with questions about gardening then
please just ask.
I hope to find a fellow rhs student to exchange ideas and so on.

Hullo. Just passed the RHS and really enjoyed it ) Good luck with it !

Old 24-08-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Bob, thanks for your reply.

I have been a gardener for a while now, i lived in spain for a few
years as a gardener, needless to say a different type of gardening to
what i was used to. Unfortunatly I lost lots of plant knowledge that i
am desperate to get back as i am planning to start my own business in
the next year. So the course will help me to structure how i learn
plant indentification and their make up and so on and will refresh
things that i know, and things that i dont.

So thats my plan, for now anyway.

Tell me a little about yourself.

Marcus

Old 24-08-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you. I hope i enjoy it too.

How did you find the course in general? The study load and so on?

what are you doing now that you have finished?

Marcus

Old 24-08-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mariposa wrote:
Thank you. I hope i enjoy it too.
How did you find the course in general? The study load and so on?

When you're passionate about something, the learning is easy. However,
I preferred my first year than the second, it's all to do with the
teachers we had. The first year I did very little revision - the
lessons themselves were so well structured that all the info went in
with no problem. The second year my college encountered problems and
shorten the course by 4 months which left me with lots of studying by
myself. I would think that perhaps 10 of the questions we got at the
exam had not been covered in class ...

what are you doing now that you have finished?

Just finished a Permaculture course which I have enjoyed very much
indeed. I'm considering the diploma - which will be associated with a
trip to Australia/New Zealand. I'm working in an urban design
regeneration consultancy where I managed a few environmental art
projects and I'm looking into taking a year out to do a Landscape
Design course. I am a volunteer at a community garden centre and
volunteer to any Perma group projects near me that I can put my hands
on )

Are you currently working as a gardener in England?

Old 24-08-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marcus wrote
Hello Bob, thanks for your reply.

I have been a gardener for a while now, i lived in spain for a few
years as a gardener, needless to say a different type of gardening to
what i was used to. Unfortunatly I lost lots of plant knowledge that i
am desperate to get back as i am planning to start my own business in
the next year. So the course will help me to structure how i learn
plant indentification and their make up and so on and will refresh
things that i know, and things that i dont.

So thats my plan, for now anyway.

Tell me a little about yourself.

Self taught gardener although did learn a lot when a child from an old Steam
Engine driver I helped that fed his family with two large allotments next to
my school. I still remember his huge stone jars of home made pickles, red
cabbage, shallots, piccalilli, and the very strong Somerset Cheddar cheese
he used to get sent up by train. Sitting down to a late supper of crusty
bread, lashings of butter, and those pickles with his family was something I
will never forget. (didn't get indigestion in those days!)

Have had an interest in plants (and fish) all my life although my parents
were never interested much, successfully grafted my first rose when I was 10
after reading a book.

Interests are plants and veg plants in particular, we have an allotment,
although I do still have some orchids both tropical and hardy, some
Epyphylums, and other interesting plants acquired over the years.( some
thanks to other URGlers, you know who you are) Wife has a collection of
citrus trees that I tend, slicing your own ripe Lime or Lemon into a G & T
is a joy.

What's left of our small garden after making my pond for my fish is a
plantsmans mess as I've always concentrated on plants above the look of the
place. :-)
That has to change from this autumn though, I've decided. (Well Sue decided
so I did too)

BTW, spent the day at Hever Castle, if you haven't visited do so, it's
excellent and the large Italian Garden is wonderful.

Regards
Bob.

Old 25-08-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes

mariposa wrote:
Hello fellow gardeners. I am new to uk gardening and am looking forward
to chatting with you all.
My main reason for joining is because i am about to start my RHS 2 and
help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to gardening, just
studying. If i can help anyone with questions about gardening then
please just ask.
I hope to find a fellow rhs student to exchange ideas and so on.

Hullo. Just passed the RHS and really enjoyed it ) Good luck with it !

Congratulations! Well done.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-08-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
Congratulations! Well done.

Keep up at the back ;o)) and thank you June!! Did you have a good
summer? Saw anything interesting?

Old 25-08-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default has anyone or anybody studying rhs 2? (second para of this post is OT)

In message . com, La
Puce writes

June Hughes wrote:
Congratulations! Well done.

Keep up at the back ;o)) and thank you June!! Did you have a good
summer? Saw anything interesting?

Sorry! Must have missed your original posting with the good news. Have
been a bit busy since returning from holiday. Apart from a visit in
June to Barnsdale Gardens, which I loved, we could have done better in
the garden. I would recommend BG to anyone interested in gardening and
learned a lot during my visit, including getting many ideas. When is
your next exam?

My dog has had a go at my acer and I am hoping it is not dying. I
thought it was past being chewed by a dog but was wrong. Other than
that, the fig tree I planted three years ago has yielded a good crop of
figs. No one else likes them, so they have all been for me
--
June Hughes

Old 25-08-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
Sorry! Must have missed your original posting with the good news. Have
been a bit busy since returning from holiday. Apart from a visit in
June to Barnsdale Gardens, which I loved, we could have done better in
the garden. I would recommend BG to anyone interested in gardening and
learned a lot during my visit, including getting many ideas. When is
your next exam?

What what?!!? No more, thankyouverymuch! I'm RHSed and Permacultured
now. Travelling around a lot atm, quiet from October and looking
forward to a lovely quiet tranquil autumn )

Never been to Barnsdale but hunted down a few of Miralles's gardens
around Spain - found 3 and the planting's all the same and all far too
modern for me. However, I love the landscape he did around the Scottish
Parliament. Again, I think it's something to do with the plants
available. I'm so English ;o)

My dog has had a go at my acer and I am hoping it is not dying. I
thought it was past being chewed by a dog but was wrong. Other than
that, the fig tree I planted three years ago has yielded a good crop of
figs. No one else likes them, so they have all been for me

Great!! I've had tons of figs, but picked from other's gardens or
bought. I've never grew one. Funny as it's my favourite jam. Looking
for a Tamarix atm. I fell in love with them. Do you think it would be
ok in a pot/container?

Old 25-08-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes

Great!! I've had tons of figs, but picked from other's gardens or
bought. I've never grew one. Funny as it's my favourite jam. Looking
for a Tamarix atm. I fell in love with them. Do you think it would be
ok in a pot/container?

I have never heard of a Tamarix but shall look it up. My fig (Brown
Turkey) is in a very large pot, the size of a small dustbin. Someone
here (Rusty, I think) suggested about three years ago planting it out in
the garden in a washing-machine drum but I haven't got round to it yet.
When it stops producing as much fruit, I shall hurry along and find a
drum and persuade someone - probably Bas - to dig me a huge hole in the
garden.
--
June Hughes