Old 19-09-2006, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants for home security

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

They said I could nick some from the pub. Presumably I can just grab a
handful and shove it in some compost, like most med plants? I've still got a
potful on the boat, that'll do for tonight.

I've got the gilded rosemary, it's got a sort of variegated leaf though
as the leaf is so narrow it's difficult to see
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-09-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I have never found a use for a gooseberry. Greengages are wonderful
but only in jam.
Obv JMHO.
I expect some suggestions ...

Tart.

Thanks. I love you too.

Old 19-09-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JennyC
writes
I am surprised at myself !

I thought that you might be on reflection. You are never nasty, so
don't do it again!

Moment of madness in mitigating circumstances ?

Madness I will accept. As one mature lady to another, I am going to
give you a bit of advice - no, don't flame me, read my words with a soft
tone; without censure . - One person on urg is manipulative, devious
and a liar who enjoys causing trouble between posters by misquoting and
generally winding people up. That person loads the gun and lets others
pull the trigger.

I get irritated when she gives bad advice but not everyone knows
everything so I let it go although I have taken advice from someone who
was a twit and killed my banana plant. Others on urg are tired of
telling her that she is giving bad advice; she reacts by attacking that
person - if it were me being told that I had given bad advice, I would
be glad to know as I don't want to kill anyone's plants and also I am
never too old to learn.

I can speak from my own experiences only and state that this person has
lied repeatedly about me, my occupation, of which she knows nothing,
what I have purportedly said, about emails I have sent her and the
latest, that I have abused someone in an earlier thread entitled "who is
in whose kill file". I took a lot at that through Google and I can't
see that I have abused anybody but I will leave you to judge that.

My sympathy goes to Sacha, I feel that an attempt by one or two to bring
her into disrepute will backfire on them, it is unkind in the extreme to
do what you have done, I would never have credited you with such an
action.

mea culpa
Jenny

I'm glad you said that as I know you would never knowingly hurt anybody
and as you can see from Sacha's reaction, she is hurt, not by Puce's
attacks, she is used to them, but by your words as you were somebody
whom we all respected for your knowledge; and for your personality which
came through in your writings.

I can't forgive Puce for what she has done here - please Jenny let you,
I and Sacha get back to what we were, gardening friends who never, ever
hurt each other.

p.s. I am thinking of hosting a meet next year and I very much hope
that you, Sacha, Janet, Kay, Cormaic, Chris and Helen French, June
Hughes, Alan Holmes and even Jane Ransom will come. The last time I met
with all of them, apart from June, was at Kay's meet in Leeds, we had a
great time and I came home laden with plants; sadly I don't know what
half of them are!

--
Judith Lea
Old 19-09-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Jackson
writes

if you have room for a small wormery, it
could, eventually, save you the problem of humphing bags of compost on yer
bike, plus it's a great way of recycling kitchen waste.... ;-)

Don't believe it! I've got one but it certainly won't take all my
kitchen waste I do put as much as I can in but have resorted to a few
more compost bins stuck on the end of the raised beds as the worms were
being overloaded with kindness.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes
Madness I will accept. As one mature lady to another, I am going to
give you a bit of advice - no, don't flame me, read my words with a
soft tone; without censure . - One person on urg is manipulative,
devious and a liar who enjoys causing trouble between posters by
misquoting and generally winding people up. That person loads the gun
and lets others pull the trigger.

It's not me, is it?

No!! You have me chuckle for the first time today.

--
Judith Lea
Old 19-09-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nothing to do with plants

Charlie Pridham wrote:
perhaps an URG meet to allow for
getting acquainted might indeed be a good idea :~)

Marvellous idea. All at Uncle Marvo's place!

Old 19-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Charlie Pridham wrote:
perhaps an URG meet to allow for
getting acquainted might indeed be a good idea :~)

Marvellous idea. All at Uncle Marvo's place!

Fine with me. Wear your wellies.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Fine with me. Wear your wellies.

Brilliant! Right - where are you anchored?

Old 19-09-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Judith Lea
writes

snip

p.s. I am thinking of hosting a meet next year and I very much hope
that you, Sacha, Janet, Kay, Cormaic, Chris and Helen French, June
Hughes, Alan Holmes and even Jane Ransom will come. The last time I
met with all of them, apart from June, was at Kay's meet in Leeds, we
had a great time and I came home laden with plants; sadly I don't know
what half of them are!

That would be lovely. I could stay with m-in-l.

PS You mentioned moments of madness. On Sunday, I had a lot on my mind
and went to Waitrose as usual after lunch, with a quick visit to Boots'
after packing the car with the Waitrose stuff. I got a bit angry
because Bas had left his golf clubs in the boot and I couldn't get much
in there, so I left a box of 6 botts of red and a box of beer on the
back seat, as well as other less costly stuff, grumbling and struggling
as I did so. I got what I wanted in Boots and arrived back at the car
to find the rear off-side door wide open. Oops! Was on the phone to
Bas at the time. The first thing he said was 'You'd better check my
golf clubs are still there!' Nothing had been touched, despite it being
a very busy little car park, although the car was locked, so his clubs
were safe.
--
June Hughes