Old 15-09-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants for home security

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
If you want to be really serious, broken glass and nails scattered around
under the hadge tends to deter most amateurs. If it is professionals you
want to keep out, get land mines, a rottweiler, and a gnu. Pikeys
will nick
anything from anyone anytime. So don't leave a caravan lying around :-)

Perhaps it's a very silly reasoning but I always thought that if you
don't seem to be protecting your house like Alcatraz (sp?) then nobody
will be suspicious with thinking you're hiding some big valuables in
there.

Hasn't worked for me. I had open boundaries and a not very secure barn
and have had two ride-on mowers stolen. There seems to be a particular
problem round here with garden machinery and also with the fact that
once you've had one theft you're likely to get a second visit once it's
assumed you've had time to replace the articles stolen the first time.

Janet G
Old 15-09-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No-one has mentioned gooseberries which have vicious thorns.

Actually, for maximum deterrence the plants not only need thorns
but should be clearly seen to have them.

My favourites are Rubus Cockburnianus (ghost bramble)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/4179.html/
and Rosa Omiensis Pteracantha (r.sericea pteracantha)
http://www.rosesloubert.com/collecti...20omeiensis%20
pteracantha.jpg
which has very scary looking blood red thorns.
Old 15-09-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hasn't worked for me. I had open boundaries and a not very secure barn
and have had two ride-on mowers stolen. There seems to be a particular
problem round here with garden machinery and also with the fact that
once you've had one theft you're likely to get a second visit once it's
assumed you've had time to replace the articles stolen the first time.

Janet G

Similar happened to my father on his smallholding. Someone broke into his
garage and took away his rotovator. They must have been really brazen
because it happened mid morning and they must have driven a van or low
loader onto his property. Ironically he was indoors at the time and never
heard or saw a thing.

On another occasion someone smashed the double glazed glass on his front
door, scrambled through the hole and broken glass, grabbed a purse and a few
other small items then made off through the hole again - this at around 6am
while my father was asleep upstairs. By the time he got down stairs he just
saw them legging it down his path. Police caught them later, turned out to
be druggies. Barriers and boundary security make no difference to these
people - when they are desperate for a fix they will break into anywhere.
They also don't seem to care if anyone is there either.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 15-09-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
That is the best English I have ever seen from a foreigner :-)

Merci )

I told myself that until some wag decided to nick a caravan in which were a
couple of photos, the subject of one of which was my second eldest daughter
who died of cancer two years ago, and can't be replaced.
I would like to inflict injuries on the scrote that did it. Injuries that
you can't begin to imagine, and over a very long period.

Yes - it did occur to me that sentimental possessions such as the one
you describe can never be replaced and I am very sorry to have brought
up the thought of such a sad time for you. It was, as I mentioned, a
not too clever reasoning - but sadly, and in this crazy world, I try
not to burden myself with extra worries, especially when I go on
holidays and live my house behind.

Old 15-09-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John McMillan wrote:
No-one has mentioned gooseberries which have vicious thorns.
Actually, for maximum deterrence the plants not only need thorns
but should be clearly seen to have them.

Vicious! I hate more the taste than what nature has given them. But
it's not going to help the Serene. It's the access to a roof if I
remember it right. Gooseberries are quite low, aren't they?

Old 15-09-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
John McMillan wrote:
No-one has mentioned gooseberries which have vicious thorns.
Actually, for maximum deterrence the plants not only need thorns
but should be clearly seen to have them.

Vicious! I hate more the taste than what nature has given them. But
it's not going to help the Serene. It's the access to a roof if I
remember it right. Gooseberries are quite low, aren't they?

Oops ... never went back on a post before but there you are. I didn't
mean 'the' Serene, Serene. Not sure why there's a 'the' there at all ;o)

Old 15-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

John McMillan writes

No-one has mentioned gooseberries which have vicious thorns.

Actually, for maximum deterrence the plants not only need thorns
but should be clearly seen to have them.

My favourites are Rubus Cockburnianus (ghost bramble)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/4179.html/
and Rosa Omiensis Pteracantha (r.sericea pteracantha)
http://www.rosesloubert.com/collecti...20omeiensis%20
pteracantha.jpg
which has very scary looking blood red thorns.

They're scary looking but they're kittens compared with gooseberry,
pyracantha and even hawthorn
--
Kay
Old 15-09-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Uncle Marvo" contains these
words:

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
If you want to be really serious, broken glass and nails scattered
around under the hadge tends to deter most amateurs. If it is
professionals you want to keep out, get land mines, a rottweiler,
and a gnu. Pikeys
will nick
anything from anyone anytime. So don't leave a caravan lying around
:-)

Perhaps it's a very silly reasoning but I always thought that if you
don't seem to be protecting your house like Alcatraz (sp?) then
nobody will be suspicious with thinking you're hiding some big
valuables in there.

Hasn't worked for me. I had open boundaries and a not very secure barn
and have had two ride-on mowers stolen. There seems to be a particular
problem round here with garden machinery and also with the fact that
once you've had one theft you're likely to get a second visit once
it's assumed you've had time to replace the articles stolen the first
time.

That's pikeys for sure. Whereabouts are you (not specifically, of course!)?

I'm deep in the fens of S. Lincolnshire. Fairly isolated. I've now got a
heavy duty gate and various other fortifications so that at least it's
not easy to drive a big white van in. It was easy before for someone to
spend quite a time in my yard without feeling overlooked by anyone.

I've had mower number 3 for just over a week so here's hoping ......

Janet G

Old 15-09-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I'm with you on that. We have a couple of family members to whom that
applies and the loss of photographs of them would be a devastation to my
children. Family artefacts whether made of paper or solid gold are indeed,
irreplaceable.

There is not the question. Violence is. I'd rather hear these kind of
remarks made towards the protection of one's children perhaps, or
indeed any of one's loved ones, but over material things? Well, I can't
and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Old 15-09-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
My children do not live in this house. They're adults. The things I keep
for them it would shatter them to lose because their uncle died at 39, their
father at 49 and they have lost 3 of their grandparents. Use your
imagination please. Not everyone here has toddlers or teenagers as the
children they care about.

You do not understand me quite clearly. Loved ones means any age. There
is not the question (again). The things you keep - as Uncle Marvo
explained - are very important. I agree. But resorting to terrible
violence because someone has taken/damage them? This I'm afraid is not
in my book. I will not resort to violence for material things. I will
not worry myself sick for it either because, these are things. These
are not in my heart but my memories are. But yes, to protect my loved
ones, my 83 years old Tonton Bernard if you need something more
palpable to my 4 years old niece, then I would risk anything for him or
her, but not for their photographs.

And I have lost my mother, my grand mother, my grand father, never
known my mother, my best friend etc..... but I wouldn't resort to
violence because someone has taken a material thing of them from me.
Use your imagination as well. I am human just like you and I can also
understand the sentimentality over an object. I have lots of them.
Perhaps too many. But I don't care about them as much as I care about a
human life, any life even that of a scrote.