Old 17-09-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants for home security

On 17/9/06 05:02, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Serene Blue" wrote in message

After the umpteenth burglary at "casa bleu", I need to resort to

some
stiff security steps.

So far I haven't seen a mention of Barberry (berberis). More vicous
thorns even than pyracantha, lots of differing ones and some pretty
berries too.

I think I did suggest that though mentioning some have more horrible thorns
than others!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Wikipedia is the new Google :~))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle leads to :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewarewa

Lonicera I knew ... but Rewarewa? Someone mentioned it as a tree, with
thorns. There's no thorns on the Rewarewa, miss.

And idea for the garden?
http://www.susantower.com/honeysuckleTreeSwing.php

Lovely - but again it doesn't tell us what the honeysuckle tree is. I
think there's a loss in translation between the usa and uk. The 'swing
tree' has yellow flowers. The Rewarena pink ... Me confused.

Old 17-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Talking

Thank you all for your unreserved suggestions.

I have since come to the conclusion that the best step is to MOVE. But, rest assured that my new home will be planted from the stock and knowledge of this thread.

As to the warring parties, perhaps they would be a wise choice to line my hedge - seem thorny, robust and climby enough to me :P

Frankly, spread a little love, people. The world is full of ugliness as it is.

Oh, by the way - stop referring to me as a girl - Serene Blue refers to my fav sport - FISHING! no flames, to each HIS own

Udhi
Old 17-09-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:11:13 +0100, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

You all complain about the group going down hill but fail to see that
you are all causing the problem by turning this forum into a online
scrap.

It's pathetic.

Aye, it's almost as bad as ukrm, innit! ;-)

It's far, far worse.

Afternoon, Paul! I thought about you a few weeks ago, when I passed
the GC in Camden.....how's things with your garden?

Not bad but it needs some attention. For a first year at actually trying
to grow things there have been some nice successes in spite of the
unbelievable weather and hosepipe pan.

I have bought lots and lots of bulbs - including from the Camden GC - so
I need to get digging as well as procuring some pots / compost for some
of them.
--
Paul C

Old 17-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

You all complain about the group going down hill but fail to see that
you are all causing the problem by turning this forum into a online
scrap. It's pathetic.

Afternoon, Paul! I thought about you a few weeks ago, when I passed
the GC in Camden.....how's things with your garden?

Not bad but it needs some attention. For a first year at actually trying
to grow things there have been some nice successes in spite of the
unbelievable weather and hosepipe ban.

I have bought lots and lots of bulbs - including from the Camden GC - so
I need to get digging as well as procuring some pots / compost for some
of them.

Don't know about London, but most of the GC's up here are selling off pots.
I've bagged a few bargains....and if you have room for a small wormery, it
could, eventually, save you the problem of humphing bags of compost on yer
bike, plus it's a great way of recycling kitchen waste.... ;-)

--
AnneJ /\
_/__\_

Old 18-09-2006, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Serene Blue" wrote in message
Thank you all for your unreserved suggestions.

Snip

Oh, by the way - stop referring to me as a girl - Serene Blue refers to
my fav sport - FISHING! no flames, to each HIS own

Never heard of such a fish, is it an orfe - serene blue orfe of course?!

Geoff.

P.S.

I wish everybody would "snip" so that one can easily decide who wrote what
besides making messages a lot longer than necessary.

Old 18-09-2006, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Uncle Marvo
writes
.com, I, Marvo, say :

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Judith do not rise to the bait. Silly School Girl games again from
Puce.

You seem to very much enjoy this. You always pop up when the silly
school girls are fighting. What have you been growing lately Rupert?
Or are you only interested in the fights?

I'm currently designing a new bed, rectangular, surrounded by
lavenders, rosemaries and box (each ends). Any spacing advices?
Perhaps that's a new thread and also perhaps over your head.

I'd keep a distance between the lavender and the rosemary. Lamb and lavender
doesn't sound a great combination.

I saw a wicked rosemary in a pub garden this weekend, mine has gone all
straggly. Do these things get old, like people? If you cut them right back,
do they get a new lease of life, or is it time for the compost bin?

They get old and are a bit temperamental in that they can suddenly die
off for no apparent reason. The good news is, depending on where you
live, that when you buy a new one, it grows relatively quickly.
--
June Hughes
Old 18-09-2006, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Geoff
writes

"Serene Blue" wrote in message
Thank you all for your unreserved suggestions.

Snip

Oh, by the way - stop referring to me as a girl - Serene Blue refers to
my fav sport - FISHING! no flames, to each HIS own

Never heard of such a fish, is it an orfe - serene blue orfe of course?!

I thought it was a fishing fly but am willing to be educated.
--
June Hughes
Old 18-09-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nothing to do with plants

"OI!"

Stop it at once.

What's it all about, eh?

This is what I see, correct me if I'm wrong ...

Sacha, JennyC, Janet and Ms Puce have all got the hump with each other, for
reasons I cannot fathom, because my poor old urgling software doesn't see
what has gone before. And some people side with some of them, and some with
some others. For whatever reason.

I see two ways forward, one is that I put them all over my knee and give
them a sound spanking, the other is ... no, can't think of another one.

I quite like urg and urglers and urgling, there is some sound advice on here
(if only one could work out which of the posts are sound advice and which
are the demented ramblings of an amateur such as I) and surely it is for
this that urg *is*, n'est-ce pas? There is always more than one answer, and
if one takes all the replies it may be that the most appropriate answer is
an "out-of-the-box" one, not the one that one would find if one looked it up
in the RHS tome or, perish the thought, Wikipaedia!

There.

That is all.

Old 18-09-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

"OI!"

Stop it at once.

[David in Normandy lifts his head over parapet and asks] "Is it safe to come
out yet?"
[Bullet whizzes past, narrowly missing ear, so dives for cover again]

Old 18-09-2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...

I see two ways forward, one is that I put them all over my knee and
give them a sound spanking,

Is that how you treat your own wife then ?

I have never had one behave like that :-)

the other is ... no, can't think of another one.

Whereas if the three people involved were men, you would do what
exactly ?

Oh, here we go. Actually I thought there were four, but I've lost
track.

Of course I would.

I do so love it when people take the odd bit out of its context and
pick holes in it.

I love feminists, I think they're cute.

I just happen to abhor all exhortations to physical violence. Whether
meted out to women, children, or nine stone wimps wearing glasses for
that matter.

Me too. There's nothing violent about giving stroppy women a sound spanking
though.

I still think half the trouble today is that the ecilop/teachers/anyone
aren't allowed to smack kids though. Never did us any harm. JMHO though, I
won't get violent if anyone disagrees ...

I'm with the archbishop of Canterbury. And the Pope. I'm hedging my bets.

Funny old world, eh?

Isn't it just?

Old 18-09-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

this in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

3 "thoughs" in that post. I'm rubbish today. And busy.

Blean.

Old 18-09-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I'd keep a distance between the lavender and the rosemary. Lamb and lavender
doesn't sound a great combination.

Uncle! You and your bellie! Honestly )

I've done it - and did I larf! And so did my neighbouring allotmenters.
Here I was with my 12 lavenders, 12 rosemaries, 12 buxus, hoping to
create a 12m hedge (5mx1m rectangle) but didn't for obvious reasons.
The result of my new design is lovely. I've used a 2m2 plot where last
year's oinions were and it is lovely. 3 lavenders, 3 buxus, 3
rosemaries etc. The design is straight at the back and oval at the
front, something like a 'D'. Next I want to do key holes, like the good
permie that I am.

I saw a wicked rosemary in a pub garden this weekend, mine has gone all
straggly. Do these things get old, like people? If you cut them right back,
do they get a new lease of life, or is it time for the compost bin?

They do get old sadly. You can't cut them into old wood they will not
come back. However I have kept some less straggly ones by bringing some
soil up around them, so they rooted and created more shoots. But that's
not for very old plants. I kept many for years in a dry area of my
front garden, with lavenders amongst them. I had moved them from the
old house ...so imagine how ancient they were. Eventually I put them on
the bonfire and that gave me a craving for some lamb .... ))