Old 14-09-2006, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On the subject of allotments

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Lime 'R' us. Any recommendations as to what sort and how much I
should use? I have a pH thingy here somewhere ...

Ground chalk is nicer to use and now would be ideal time before
digging for next year. But you're on a slop and the hydroxide one is
more soluble. I leave it to you to decide, I'm not sure how sloppy
your slop slops.

Sloppily. I need to think and experiment. Or build a wall!

Blueberries are the new wonder veg, apparently. They contain all the
good things that we lack in a modern diet, so I'm reliably informed.
And most of the ones we get most of the year are from noo Zealand
and thus roger about 3 tonnes of carbon per berry. I adore
blueberries.

Huh?! I've had lots of berries this year from only 4 bushes, 2 at home
and 2 on the lotty. So much I was tempted to put some in salads,
bolognese, mash spuds ....

Can't you make a liqueur from them too? Can't remember what it's called, but
it's on the same lines as Cassis or Mur I think.

That's the bit I like best, the engineering :-)

I'd guess that. I don't have the head for it unless I get instruction
in several languages and can laugh at the spelling mistookes.

You read the /manuals/?

Old 14-09-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
om, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
It is brilliant for growing stinging nettles and dock. That's all I
know.

Therefore let me tell you that you have an acid soil

That may not be infallible. Nettles can grow on limestone pavements.

--
Kay
Old 14-09-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging
on the bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is
this likely to make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most
stuff need water to produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Apart from root veg? Ever tried growing radishes without much water?
;-)

French beans can cope better than runners. What's the soil like
otherwise?

It is brilliant for growing stinging nettles and dock.

Rich soil, then.

That's all I know.
But it's right by a river so should be good. Water is there, just a question
of getting it up to the top. I could pump it uphill and let it run down, but
that might be too much. Or set up a sprinkler, shouldn't be a problem.

Is it sandy or clay-ey? If you roll between your fingers do you get a
ball or a sausage or a heap of crumbs?

How much humus?

Should be OK for leaf veg for a start. Do you use the nettles? ;-)

--
Kay
Old 14-09-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Sloppily. I need to think and experiment. Or build a wall!

Count me out. I'm already tired just to think of it.

Can't you make a liqueur from them too? Can't remember what it's called, but
it's on the same lines as Cassis or Mur I think.

Cassis is from black currants. But yes. I could try.

You read the /manuals/?

Well ... no. Only the little papers that tell you how to built/put
together something, like on a toaster: plug it. Those I like very much.

I suffer from having lived with blokes for a long time and find myself
retreating into my shell when I hear proposals on building devices
which will save a bit of money with some cellotape and radiator's ASP23
cutting dies. I get frighten not to be able to find my cats under all
the mess they do in the process and having to clean but more to the
point finance a very silly idea. Don't get me wrong - I let them
experiment, but we don't have a garage, and the dining room is sadly
the only place they use, which eventually will reach the kitchen
because they simply can't stop what they are doing whilst eating ... I
prefer not to think about it. In fact I already have a headache.

Old 15-09-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 14/9/06 08:31, in article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

snip I could pump it uphill and let it run down,
but
that might be too much. Or set up a sprinkler, shouldn't be a
problem.

are you able to contour the bank so that water gradually runs down
the bank along a series of ridges, depressions and shallow ponds?
This will allow you to water in moderation and the run off will be
subtly controlled.

Or plant in growbags on the bank. ;-)

Both good points. Yes, I could step it. I don't know if my not-so-young back
will stand it, I bvgg3red it a couple of years ago trying to move a fork
lift shovel, before I realised that it had a two-tonne weight on it. I
suppose I could hire a micro digger, that should do the trick. And I like
driving boy's toys!

Yes, I think I will. I reckon this is probably the ideal sort of weather now
for doing it, ready for autumn planting.

Old 15-09-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

snip I could pump it uphill and let it run down,
but
that might be too much. Or set up a sprinkler, shouldn't be a problem.

are you able to contour the bank so that water gradually runs down the bank
along a series of ridges, depressions and shallow ponds? This will allow you
to water in moderation and the run off will be subtly controlled.

Or plant in growbags on the bank. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-09-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul wrote ...
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging on
the bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is this likely
to make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most stuff need water
to produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Anyone had experience of growing veg (particularly legumes) on a slope
like that?

I could quite easily rig up a pump to water it straight from the river
though, as long as the veg was washed properly before eating that
shouldn't be a problem.

I think I might also get competition from Mr Ratty and his friends the
rabbits, but maybe I can fence that off in a Mr McGregor stylee.

A couple of ideas..
One of our allotment members uses water from the local River Bourne and has
an abstraction licence to do that legally, however the Environment Agency
person said he is only to use seep hoses not use it to spray over the
plants. (sewage outfall upstream?) Seep hoses would not cause you so much of
an erosion problem.

I have gardened on a S. facing slope (about 1 in 10), quite useful as it
heats up quicker in the spring etc. but you may have erosion problems as
others have said. 1 in 2 isn't too bad though for a bank and would lend
itself to a couple of retaining walls (like a raised bed).

Rabbit fencing* is a must on our allotment site anyway but keeping out the
rats is another story, water voles? you should be so lucky. :-)
(* We found AVS Fencing was the cheapest by some margin if there is one
nearish to you)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-09-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Paul wrote ...
[...]

Thanks for that. I must contact the EA to see about seep/extraction. They
are usually very helpful.

How high a fence will a rabbit jump? I know a rat will climb a 20' wall if
he thinks it's worth it. I thought I might just leave them some food outside
to keep them out :-)

Old 15-09-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul wrote
How high a fence will a rabbit jump? I know a rat will climb a 20' wall if
he thinks it's worth it. I thought I might just leave them some food
outside to keep them out :-)

We purchased galvanised wire Rabbit Fencing and it's about 3ft wide so 2ft 6
inches high as you have to dig 6inches into the ground to stop them digging
their way in. Worked so far!
Go to http://www.avsfencing.co.uk/ and look up Rabbit fencing, I think they
give you the spec for it.

IME any food will just encourage rats (unless it's covered in poison)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-09-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Whilst visiting a friend in Lancashire some time ago, we went out for a
drive. and as we went down one road he said, 'the rabbits here can climb a 6
foot wall', we had a good laugh, then we turned a corner, scared a rabbit
which ran up a wall at least that high!

Alan

Old 18-09-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Paul wrote ...
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of
vegging on the bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1
in 2. Is this likely to make it drain too much for most veggies? I
know most stuff need water to produce the bits you eat, apart from
root veg. Anyone had experience of growing veg (particularly legumes)
[...]

I was reading this and other posts about burglars and, whilst in Homebase or
some such godforsaken excuse for a DIY shop, came across the burglar-proof
paint that was mentioned in another thread. I'm think along the lines of a
small wall with this stuff on, so Peter and Mr Ratty are deterred from
venturing into my soon-to-be-built allotment. I can merely step over the
wall, having longer legs than them, then put a wire fence inside with a gate
to stop jumping animals like deer, kangaroos etc. Does this sound like a
good/feasible idea? I'm told Mr Ratty climbs like we dom needs to get a grip
etc, has similar skin. I don't know a lot about rabbits, apart from how to
skin and cook one.

Old 18-09-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/9/06 07:41, in article , "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
snip
I was reading this and other posts about burglars and, whilst in Homebase or
some such godforsaken excuse for a DIY shop, came across the burglar-proof
paint that was mentioned in another thread. I'm think along the lines of a
small wall with this stuff on, so Peter and Mr Ratty are deterred from
venturing into my soon-to-be-built allotment. I can merely step over the
wall, having longer legs than them, then put a wire fence inside with a gate
to stop jumping animals like deer, kangaroos etc. Does this sound like a
good/feasible idea? I'm told Mr Ratty climbs like we dom needs to get a grip
etc, has similar skin. I don't know a lot about rabbits, apart from how to
skin and cook one.

We used electrified rabbit fencing to protect the duck pond (when we had
ducks!) Every so often, the battery had to be recharged but it was a tiny
zap, just enough to deter Jack Russells from duck-for-dinner. You could try
that. But my Commando relative tells me that it takes more energy for your
body to digest rabbit than it gives back to you. He did explain the detail
but it's whooshed right over the top of my head!

Old 19-09-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

But my Commando relative tells me that it takes more energy for your
body to digest rabbit than it gives back to you.

Does that include the lead shot?

P.S. I expect the reason is because it's all lean meat.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-09-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

But my Commando relative
tells me that it takes more energy for your body to digest rabbit
than it gives back to you. He did explain the detail but it's
whooshed right over the top of my head!

I have researched this and it seems that your commando relative is hard of
hearing. It's so easy to confuse "rabbit" with "celery" when you say it
quickly.

(no subject) Venu Shelat Roses 7 20-12-2003 07:03 PM
Undelivered mail: [unknown-subject] DrWeb-DAEMON Plant Biology 0 02-10-2003 09:13 AM
(no subject) Santo Traficante IV Lawns 0 28-06-2003 12:20 PM
While on the subject of ferns... o8TY Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
While on the subject of ferns... o8TY Plant Science 0 18-02-2003 04:27 PM