Old 14-09-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On the subject of allotments

It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging on the
bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is this likely to
make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most stuff need water to
produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Anyone had experience of growing veg (particularly legumes) on a slope like
that?

I could quite easily rig up a pump to water it straight from the river
though, as long as the veg was washed properly before eating that shouldn't
be a problem.

I think I might also get competition from Mr Ratty and his friends the
rabbits, but maybe I can fence that off in a Mr McGregor stylee.

Old 14-09-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging on the
bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is this likely to
make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most stuff need water to
produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Apart from root veg? Ever tried growing radishes without much water? ;-)

French beans can cope better than runners. What's the soil like
otherwise?
--
Kay
Old 14-09-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
It's not really an allotment, but I'm getting to the idea of vegging on

the
bank. Trouble is, it's on a wicked slope, about 1 in 2. Is this likely to
make it drain too much for most veggies? I know most stuff need water to
produce the bits you eat, apart from root veg.

Anyone had experience of growing veg (particularly legumes) on a slope

like
that?

I could quite easily rig up a pump to water it straight from the river
though, as long as the veg was washed properly before eating that

shouldn't
be a problem.

I think I might also get competition from Mr Ratty and his friends the
rabbits, but maybe I can fence that off in a Mr McGregor stylee.

At the moment, what's preventing this bank of yours from gradually
sliding into the river, whenever there's heavy rain ?

That might no longer be there, if you dig it all up ?

michael adams

Old 14-09-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

A good thought. Nothing, apart from the nettles and dock. I would hope

that
the veggies would replace the non-slide function.

If the nettles have been long established then quite possibly they
will have formed an interconnecting mat of roots in the soil. Both
living and dead roots may form a stabilising layer near the surface
of the soil. The same may be true of dock.

michael adams

Old 14-09-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
[...]

A good point. If I scythe down the nettles, presumably the roots will stay
(and the nettles will grow again!)

But then, if I plant some other stuff, that will also have roots. Or shall I
give up now?

Marvo NEVER gives up :-)

Old 14-09-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
It is brilliant for growing stinging nettles and dock. That's all I know.

Therefore let me tell you that you have an acid soil and prior to
growing vegetables, especially legumes like you wish, you will need to
lime it first.

But it's right by a river so should be good.

Blueberries would like that.

Water is there, just a question
of getting it up to the top. I could pump it uphill and let it run down, but
that might be too much. Or set up a sprinkler, shouldn't be a problem.

Phew ... far too complicated for me already ;o)

Old 14-09-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The next time there's a torrential downfall of rain, go out and check on
the bank, and make your decision based on what you see. Or don't see.

michael adams

Old 14-09-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I just missed one :-)

Old 14-09-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:00:13 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
in
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
[...]

There are lots more on the way.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=.buie...soort=loop1uur

That's not proper rain, that's your second-hand Dutch rubbish.

Old 14-09-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=.buie...soort=loop1uur

That's not proper rain, that's your second-hand Dutch rubbish.

If you look very carefully you will see that it is recycled French
rubbish.

Well spotted. I thought North would be nearer the top :-)

Old 14-09-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Lime 'R' us. Any recommendations as to what sort and how much I should use?
I have a pH thingy here somewhere ...

Ground chalk is nicer to use and now would be ideal time before digging
for next year. But you're on a slop and the hydroxide one is more
soluble. I leave it to you to decide, I'm not sure how sloppy your slop
slops.

Blueberries are the new wonder veg, apparently. They contain all the good
things that we lack in a modern diet, so I'm reliably informed. And most of
the ones we get most of the year are from noo Zealand and thus roger about 3
tonnes of carbon per berry. I adore blueberries.

Huh?! I've had lots of berries this year from only 4 bushes, 2 at home
and 2 on the lotty. So much I was tempted to put some in salads,
bolognese, mash spuds ....

That's the bit I like best, the engineering :-)

I'd guess that. I don't have the head for it unless I get instruction
in several languages and can laugh at the spelling mistookes.

(no subject) Venu Shelat Roses 7 20-12-2003 07:03 PM
Undelivered mail: [unknown-subject] DrWeb-DAEMON Plant Biology 0 02-10-2003 09:13 AM
(no subject) Santo Traficante IV Lawns 0 28-06-2003 12:20 PM
While on the subject of ferns... o8TY Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
While on the subject of ferns... o8TY Plant Science 0 18-02-2003 04:27 PM