Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia imperialis?

We have two entirely different to look at Dahlias, both claiming to be D.
imperialis. 'Ours' grows to something like 10 or 12 feet. In the
greenhouse it goes straight up and out through the roof, flowering at the
very top with rather dull single flowered blooms. OTOH, we have a
wonderful one, also called D. imperialis which David Hill, who used to post
here, gave us from his Abacus Nurseries. It grows to about 8' and has
wonderful deep pink double blooms in profusion. Anyone any idea whether one
is a sport of the other or whether we have got two entirely different
plants, one named incorrectly? I'm pretty sure 'our' D. imperialis is named
properly because it's easily identified by photographs. The other is just
like a normal Dahlia except in its height.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I can't shed much light on your query but I know that D.imperialis is grown
by the exotic plant brigade who go for height and foliage and not the
flowers.
This link more or less confirms what I think (scroll to Dahlia)
http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/Plant...arget=d19.html

Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 13:19, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/Plant...&target=d19.ht
ml

It can flower in the gardens of the warmer areas and ours has here though,
strangely enough, not yet this year. However we always emphasise that it's
a curiosity not a' serious' flowering plant if that's what people are after.
I must say I'm still trying to get my breath back after seeing the price
they sell those for!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I, too have noticed the high prices of fairly ordinary garden plants when
they appear on websites that offer the more exotic plants. In all fairness
they do tend to be healthy large plants in big pots,as against the £3.50 for
a 3cm pot with a sprig in it.
Perhaps you should do a price revue of your stock:-)

Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 18:25, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 13:19, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"

snip
http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/Plant...-uk&target=d19.
ht
ml

It can flower in the gardens of the warmer areas and ours has here though,
strangely enough, not yet this year. However we always emphasise that
it's
a curiosity not a' serious' flowering plant if that's what people are
after.
I must say I'm still trying to get my breath back after seeing the price
they sell those for!
--

I, too have noticed the high prices of fairly ordinary garden plants when
they appear on websites that offer the more exotic plants. In all fairness
they do tend to be healthy large plants in big pots,as against the £3.50 for
a 3cm pot with a sprig in it.
Perhaps you should do a price revue of your stock:-)

We charge £4 for one in a 3l pot. It's hardly a big seller and is bought out
of curiosity more than anything else. And the nursery's philosophy is that
fair's fair so we charge what is reasonable and don't get greedy. We're not
on a main road but are in the depths of the countryside so two among the
incentives that get people here, as opposed to the expensive garden centres
with main roads right outside their gates, are healthy plants at fair
prices. Of course, we don't have the overheads they have in terms of
mortgages, bank loans and so forth and we all live right on the premises.
Our 7cm pots in which we sell e.g. plants for hanging baskets have been 75p
for years and they fly out the door. Yesterday, I sold a Dicksonia
antarctica between 4 and 5' tall for £70. As a result of this approach,
we've had a good year where many nurseries and gcs are complaining of poor
sales - one wholesale Dianthus nursery is 30% down on last year - and our
customers return again and again, spreading the word to others, too.
We never have sales and if plants don't come up to scratch, they're chucked
out. It's a very simple approach but it works and it's ethical which is
important to everyone here.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

OK -OK I heard you the first time. Just keep quiet for a bit longer please.
Give me chance to get down there with a lorry :-)
Let me know when you have Strongylodon Macrobotrys back in stock

Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Our 7cm pots in which we sell e.g. plants for hanging baskets have
been 75p for years and they fly out the door. Yesterday, I sold a
Dicksonia antarctica between 4 and 5' tall for £70. As a result of
this approach, we've had a good year where many nurseries and gcs are
complaining of poor sales - one wholesale Dianthus nursery is 30% down
on last year - and our customers return again and again, spreading the
word to others, too. We never have sales and if plants don't come up
to scratch, they're chucked out. It's a very simple approach but it
works and it's ethical which is important to everyone here.

Wouldn't you like to open a S Norfolk branch. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Sacha" wrote
Our 7cm pots in which we sell e.g. plants for hanging baskets have
been 75p for years and they fly out the door. Yesterday, I sold a
Dicksonia antarctica between 4 and 5' tall for £70. As a result of
this approach, we've had a good year where many nurseries and gcs are
complaining of poor sales - one wholesale Dianthus nursery is 30% down
on last year - and our customers return again and again, spreading the
word to others, too. We never have sales and if plants don't come up
to scratch, they're chucked out. It's a very simple approach but it
works and it's ethical which is important to everyone here.

Wouldn't you like to open a S Norfolk branch. ;-)

--
Sue

Don't be bloody greedy-you've already got more than a few fabulous exotic
plant suppliers in your area. Is it something to do with all the turkey
by-products by digestion:-)

Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 20:23, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
Our 7cm pots in which we sell e.g. plants for hanging baskets have
been 75p for years and they fly out the door. Yesterday, I sold a
Dicksonia antarctica between 4 and 5' tall for £70. As a result of
this approach, we've had a good year where many nurseries and gcs are
complaining of poor sales - one wholesale Dianthus nursery is 30% down
on last year - and our customers return again and again, spreading the
word to others, too. We never have sales and if plants don't come up
to scratch, they're chucked out. It's a very simple approach but it
works and it's ethical which is important to everyone here.

Wouldn't you like to open a S Norfolk branch. ;-)

No good asking me....... ;-)

Old 04-10-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 20:23, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
It's a very simple approach but it works and it's ethical which is
important to everyone here.

OK -OK I heard you the first time. Just keep quiet for a bit longer please.
Give me chance to get down there with a lorry :-)

LOL! You won't be the first. We have London garden designers here to buy
their stock some times!
Let me know when you have Strongylodon Macrobotrys back in stock

There's a sorry tale behind that. Ray lost the one he had growing madly in
the big double - heaven knows why but it just keeled over. We were given
one earlier this year but it was a not very happy baby through no fault of
its own or its keeper and it did not survive. If you could tell us how
you're going to keep it going through the winter....... ;-)
To be frank, I don't recall one person asking for it in the last 3 or 4
years. It really is something WE would like to have for ourselves but not a
popular plant for our customers.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 20:23, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Jade vine. Yes I remember your call on this group for info about it and
possible suppliers.
I am the prat that decided to import it from the USA. A £50 plant(ex USA)
ended up costing nearer £450 once it arrived (bare rooted from the States).
I potted it up and got a polythene tent round it with misting etc etc but a
Lady from DEFRA rang to say that it had not been inspected at Heathrow
so....
The Lady was very sympathetic but it had to be ripped out of the soil once
again for her inspection. It put up a valiant fight ,died and was composted
several months ago!!
Sieving through the heap to remove shredded plastic credit cards revealed a
few string like roots which had made a bit of growth. A bloody miracle.
Roots have been chopped into little bits and potted. Currently sitting on a
heated bench. When and if anything appears you will be the first to know.
I saw the Jade Vine growing in a derelict conservatory, in Cornwall, many
years ago. It was planted inside but the vine had made its way outside and
was growing strongly. That was 40 years ago but I still remember it.
From the little info I have gleaned it is not unlike many of the so called
tender exotics in that it will survive cold conditions but it really must
have very well drained soil.
There is no point in you flogging the stuff --it would be 75p for a 2L
pot:-)

Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha"wrote :
Let me know when you have Strongylodon Macrobotrys back in stock

There's a sorry tale behind that. Ray lost the one he had growing madly
in
the big double - heaven knows why but it just keeled over. We were given
one earlier this year but it was a not very happy baby through no fault of
its own or its keeper and it did not survive. If you could tell us how
you're going to keep it going through the winter....... ;-)
To be frank, I don't recall one person asking for it in the last 3 or 4
years. It really is something WE would like to have for ourselves but not
popular plant for our customers.

For those that don't know what's being talked about there is a good photo
at..
http://www.montosogardens.com/strong...acrobotrys.htm

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Sacha, I did tell Ray I didn't expect it to
survive. :-(
I'll have to have another word with my friend and see if he can get you a
stronger specimen.

Have you also seen Mucuna bennettii, the Red Jade Vine?
http://mgonline.com/jadevine.html
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 04-10-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha"wrote :
[...]

Lovely --that's another one I will have a go at and Kill:-)

Old 05-10-2006, 05:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote

snipped

There is a huge one growing in a GH in the Cambridge University gardens. One
can't believe a flower could be that colour :~)

Here's a link for those who have never seen one:
http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery/html/P4223285.html

Jenny