Old 11-10-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening charities

I was hunting for a gardening charity and came across this which urglers
might like to know about: http://www.greenfingersappeal.co.uk/home/

Originally, I was looking for a charity that used to exist which was, I
think, for retired professional gardeners. Does anyone know if it still
does and what it's called? I'm starting to think about ordering Christmas
cards!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

I was hunting for a gardening charity

mmmmmmmmmmmmm :-((

Brownie Points?

Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:28:02 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

I was hunting for a gardening charity and came across this which urglers
might like to know about: http://www.greenfingersappeal.co.uk/home/

Originally, I was looking for a charity that used to exist which was, I
think, for retired professional gardeners. Does anyone know if it still
does and what it's called? I'm starting to think about ordering Christmas
cards!

I have some cards someone once gave me which were sold in aid of the
Gardeners' Royal Benevolent Society. They are quite old cards, so no website,
but the address given is Bridge House, 139 Kingston Road, Leatherhead,
Surrey. Is that the one?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/06 16:54, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:28:02 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

I was hunting for a gardening charity and came across this which urglers
might like to know about:
http://www.greenfingersappeal.co.uk/home/

Originally, I was looking for a charity that used to exist which was, I
think, for retired professional gardeners. Does anyone know if it still
does and what it's called? I'm starting to think about ordering Christmas
cards!

I have some cards someone once gave me which were sold in aid of the
Gardeners' Royal Benevolent Society. They are quite old cards, so no website,
but the address given is Bridge House, 139 Kingston Road, Leatherhead,
Surrey. Is that the one?

It certainly is. Thank you, Sally.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/06 17:05, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

snip

Sorry to top my own post but this is the new web site url
http://www.perennial.org.uk/index.html

Christmas cards etc. are now on sale, as are many other goodies. Again,
thank you Sally for directing me to it.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
I was hunting for a gardening charity and came across this which urglers
might like to know about: http://www.greenfingersappeal.co.uk/home/

Originally, I was looking for a charity that used to exist which was, I
think, for retired professional gardeners. Does anyone know if it still
does and what it's called? I'm starting to think about ordering Christmas
cards!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Its now called "Perennial" I don't know their web site but our friend down
here is the county chairman and the cards are very good!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Its now called "Perennial" I don't know their web site but our friend down
here is the county chairman and the cards are very good!

How truly bizarre - someone mentioned them to me yesterday but there's
nothing on the site beside what it does:

http://www.perennial.org.uk/historydates.html

This one gives more links.

http://www.ngs.org.uk/where_the_money_goes.htm

Old 11-10-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/06 17:21, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I was hunting for a gardening charity and came across this which urglers
might like to know about:
http://www.greenfingersappeal.co.uk/home/

Originally, I was looking for a charity that used to exist which was, I
think, for retired professional gardeners. Does anyone know if it still
does and what it's called? I'm starting to think about ordering Christmas
cards!
--

Its now called "Perennial" I don't know their web site but our friend down
here is the county chairman and the cards are very good!

They really are and ours are now ordered!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

How many Brownie Points is that?

:-(((((((

Time for uk.rec.gardening.moderated I feel

OR

Change the name of this newsgroup to uk.rec.gardening.hubbards

Mike

Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Virtually the entire population buy some cards from one charity or another I
don't see why brownie points comes into it. You have to get your cards from
somewhere (unless you are my sister who does not bother)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 08:56, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

snip

Virtually the entire population buy some cards from one charity or another I
don't see why brownie points comes into it. You have to get your cards from
somewhere (unless you are my sister who does not bother)

Don't worry about it, Charlie, just consider the source, as they say! I
only mentioned it here because it's a charity to do with gardening.
My take on it is that if you're going to buy them at all, the money might as
well do some good, too. We've pruned our list over the years because when
we married, rather late in life, we both had huge lists to combine. We were
going to get them from the RNLI but will now get other bits and pieces from
them, like calendars and wrapping paper etc. Part of what horrifies me
about Christmas spending is how much of it is this stuff that will simply be
thrown away! I used always to have our address printed on our cards but I've
given that up since last year. If people don't know where we live by
now....but it's amazing that we still get cards from "John" or "Ann" but
have no clue as to who they are!
However, I'm really grateful for the link to the Perennial site. Some of
their cards are really lovely.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Part of what horrifies me
about Christmas spending is how much of it is this stuff that will simply be
thrown away!

Christmas cards can be recycled (our local supermarket provides huge
bins for them, right after Christmas.).

Oxfam raises funds by recycling stamps of all kinds, including British.
Just cut them off with 1cm of envelope surrounding, no need to sort
them,and send to Oxfam's nearest stamp collection point.

Janet.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Oxfam raises funds by recycling stamps of all kinds, including British.
Just cut them off with 1cm of envelope surrounding, no need to sort
them,and send to Oxfam's nearest stamp collection point.

Wonderful. Thanks, Janet.

Another way of contributing is through WorldVision. Last year I asked
not to receive any cars or presents but an alternative present would be
appreciated. I got apple trees, grain, goats, sheep, mosquito nets,
water purifying tablets. Obviously this stuff was sent straight to
Uganda (my chosen charity) and I got a card from each person who donated
telling me what they had bought me for Christmas. I will continue this
tradition so as some of you very kindly send me cards, may I ask that
you consider making a donation instead to any charity, even if it's only
the cost of a postage stamp, it all adds up.

If anyone is interested in WorldVision this is where you can get further
information www.worldvision.org.uk

--
Judith Lea
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Virtually the entire population buy some cards from one charity or another I
don't see why brownie points comes into it. You have to get your cards from
somewhere (unless you are my sister who does not bother)

I make them myself and therefore find that I don't just send them
because I happen to have one for someone. I make them with the person
in mind. Last year I attached a bit of mistletoes. What is surprising
to a foreenieur is as much as, in France, we have cards for every
occasions, we send them, not give them face to face. And that is the
difference which has surprised me.

For many years now we send emails as greetings for Christmas and gave
the money to charity. Last years I raised £1.5K (saving on cards,
postage, team dinner, festive decorations and parafernarlia and travel)
and sent it to the Pakistan Earthquake appeal. Brownies points? No ...
only the warm satisfaction that something so simple can be achieved )

Doing it again this year!