Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brrrrrrr

We're forecast 8 or 9C tonight, which is a bit of a change. Certainly
coming home from dinner we felt it very cold indeed and the sky was quite
beautifully starry. I heard on the radio that some parts have had
torrential rain, so hope everyone is okay and no major damage done.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We're forecast 8 or 9C tonight, which is a bit of a change. Certainly
coming home from dinner we felt it very cold indeed and the sky was quite
beautifully starry. I heard on the radio that some parts have had
torrential rain, so hope everyone is okay and no major damage done.

We have had some very heavy rain in Windsor, but the temperature is not bad,
at least 20C.

Alan

Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Torrential rain about 07-00 to 07-30 am and thunderstorm which knocked out
signalling north of Wolverhampton, causing severe delays on rail network
from Shrewsbury To Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
Was very mild last night about 23-30 when I took dogs down garden . At 22-00
hrs tonight (weds) the outside temp was 10.9 C Which is warm for this time
of year at night.
Still makes up for cold and late spring this year.
regards
Cineman

Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
We're forecast 8 or 9C tonight, which is a bit of a change. Certainly
coming home from dinner we felt it very cold indeed and the sky was quite
beautifully starry. I heard on the radio that some parts have had
torrential rain, so hope everyone is okay and no major damage done.

Monsoon type rain and heavy thunder and lightening on our drive to Camberley
mid morning, main roads flooded quite deeply right across in places, and the
large Notcutts GC at Bagshot were still closed hours afterwards as they were
flooded out.
Flood damage sale shortly?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 12-10-2006, 03:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
main roads flooded quite deeply right across in places,

I have noticed down the years that newer, shiney, big wide roads are
prone to flooding, frost, fog, and drifting snow. It occured to me
many years ago that there is a simple explanation for this. Where do
they build the roads? where there are no houses. Why, after 2000
years of opportunity has no-one yet put a house in that location?
Could it be because those are the spots that get the worst of the fog,
frost, and floods?

Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 09:09, in article , "Broadback"

Bob Hobden wrote:
main roads flooded quite deeply right across in places,

I have noticed down the years that newer, shiney, big wide roads are
prone to flooding, frost, fog, and drifting snow. It occured to me
many years ago that there is a simple explanation for this. Where do
they build the roads? where there are no houses. Why, after 2000
years of opportunity has no-one yet put a house in that location?
Could it be because those are the spots that get the worst of the fog,
frost, and floods?

Torrential rain here in North Staffordshire yesterday ,Wednesday. By a
stroke of good luck the Suttons catalogue arrived on Tuesday and the
Dobies one a few days before, so I spent several happy hours browsing
and marking. Dobies prices are considerably cheaper on most seeds than
Suttons, also more in a packet. Also it seems to me that either they are
really the same company or closely connected, does anyone know? Today
dawned bright and chilly, seems that Autumn has arrived.

Sounds like a pretty mixed bag as to weather but with some seriously nasty
stuff thrown in. There were terrible lightning strikes in Plymouth the
other day while we had ours early last Wednesday morning. But today is fair
and pretty bright and dry, too. The menfolk have started a massive tidy
up/regeneration programme for the private area of our garden and drive and
it looks like a battlefield atm but will improve soon - I hope!

Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Still only two days rain since April here, and daytime temps at last
are getting below 30 degrees, my winter petunia bedding plants are just
about ready to transfer to the window boxes, and I've just been given a
papaya plant, they do grow and fruit here quite sucessfully.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike in Spain" wrote

Still only two days rain since April here, and daytime temps at last
are getting below 30 degrees, my winter petunia bedding plants are just
about ready to transfer to the window boxes, and I've just been given a
papaya plant, they do grow and fruit here quite sucessfully.

Case of Brrrrrrrr turning into Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :~))
Jenny

Old 13-10-2006, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 12, 5:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/10/06 14:42, in article
om, "Mike in Spain"

wrote:

On Oct 12, 11:07 am, Sacha wrote:snip But today is fair and pretty bright and dry, too. The menfolk have started a massive tidy
up/regeneration programme for the private area of our garden and drive and
it looks like a battlefield atm but will improve soon - I hope!
--

Still only two days rain since April here, and daytime temps at last
are getting below 30 degrees, my winter petunia bedding plants are just
about ready to transfer to the window boxes, and I've just been given a
papaya plant, they do grow and fruit here quite sucessfully.I'm green with envy but at least not mould! ;-) How cold do your winter

nights get? I imagine you don't have to worry about pelargoniums
over-wintering and so on?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

No, we do't get frosts, well we did for just one night last winter, and
that was gone by 8am, never touched the tender plants, mind you even in
the depths of 'winter' the day time temps get up to 20 degrees, coldest
day last winter was 15 degrees, so it was thermals weather. Actually it
is amazing how cold that feels when you are used to temps over 20,
thats when the people living here are in jeans and jumpers, and the
tourists are in shorts and t shirts. We can always tell who are the
tourists in winter. Biggest problem we have with pelargoniums is the
geranium moth, really decimates them, so have to spray regularly.

Old 13-10-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 07:45, in article
, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:

On Oct 12, 5:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/10/06 14:42, in article
om, "Mike in Spain"

wrote:

[...]

Several years ago we had a holiday in Egypt in March and were sunbathing and
swimming and the locals were wearing scarves and sweaters.
I've never heard of the geranium moth but perhaps we don't get that here.
Does it have a natural predator you can encourage into the garden too?

Old 14-10-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 13, 10:57 am, Sacha wrote:
On 13/10/06 07:45, in article
. com, "Mike in Spain"

wrote:

On Oct 12, 5:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 12/10/06 14:42, in article
om, "Mike in Spain"

wrote:

[...]

geranium moth, really decimates them, so have to spray regularly.Several years ago we had a holiday in Egypt in March and were sunbathing and

swimming and the locals were wearing scarves and sweaters.
I've never heard of the geranium moth but perhaps we don't get that here.
Does it have a natural predator you can encourage into the garden too?

--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

I don't know of one, and not seen one mentioned in the gardening
articles in the local papers.

Old 14-10-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Oct 2006 08:33:29 -0700, "Mike in Spain"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):
. Biggest problem we have with pelargoniums is the
geranium moth, really decimates them, so have to spray regularly.Several years ago we had a holiday in Egypt in March and were sunbathing and

swimming and the locals were wearing scarves and sweaters.
I've never heard of the geranium moth but perhaps we don't get that here.
Does it have a natural predator you can encourage into the garden too?

--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

I don't know of one, and not seen one mentioned in the gardening
articles in the local papers.

Google is your friend

http://www.spainview.com/invaders2.html

Extract :-
The geranium moth, Cacyreus marshalli, is a native of South Africa, as
are pelargoniums, or geraniums. It thrives in Spain because here,
unlike in its homeland, it has no natural predators

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 14-10-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message
[...]

I'm afraid I don't know anyone called Google.

Alan