Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rue

I have a small patio and trying to plant something interesting but not too
difficult to look after.
I've seen a lovely plant in a gardrning book where is indicated as Ruta
Jackman's Blue. Lovely shade of green, but it seems impossible to find!

On the net is considered as a kind of herb and the foliage are not exactly
as the one in the book.
I wander whether you can advice me on how to finf this plant. I live in
Wales.

Many thanks in advance.

Maria GG

Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Teti Garf" wrote in message
I have a small patio and trying to plant something interesting but not too
difficult to look after.
I've seen a lovely plant in a gardrning book where is indicated as Ruta
Jackman's Blue. Lovely shade of green, but it seems impossible to find!

On the net is considered as a kind of herb and the foliage are not exactly
as the one in the book.
I wander whether you can advice me on how to finf this plant. I live in
Wales.

Many thanks in advance.
Maria GG

Nice plant but can cause allergic reaction....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/803.shtml

Seed from:
http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...0low%20hedging

http://www.historicalplants.co.uk/section1.html

jenny

Old 06-11-2006, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Teti Garf
writes
I have a small patio and trying to plant something interesting but not too
difficult to look after.
I've seen a lovely plant in a gardrning book where is indicated as Ruta
Jackman's Blue. Lovely shade of green, but it seems impossible to find!

On the net is considered as a kind of herb and the foliage are not exactly
as the one in the book.
I wander whether you can advice me on how to finf this plant. I live in
Wales.

Be very careful where you put rue. It is not particularly attractive
and some people are allergic to it.
--
June Hughes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Teti Garf" wrote in message
I have a small patio and trying to plant something interesting but not too
difficult to look after.
I've seen a lovely plant in a gardrning book where is indicated as Ruta
Jackman's Blue. Lovely shade of green, but it seems impossible to find!

On the net is considered as a kind of herb and the foliage are not exactly
as the one in the book.
I wander whether you can advice me on how to finf this plant. I live in
Wales.

Many thanks in advance.

Maria GG

Possibly this doesn't grow true from seed. Most seed catalogues
carry one or two varieties of rue but not this one it seems, which
is among the most popular of the decorative rues

Plants are available - maybe at the appropriate time of the year -
from among other places -

http://www.barwinnock.com/

" Plants are available by mail order or by visiting the herb garden
at Barwinnock, Ayrshire, Scotland."

Jackmans Blue Rue Ruta graveolens "Jackmans Blue" F76 £ 2.00

http://www.barwinnock.com/herb-plants/latin9.htm

michael adams

Old 06-11-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Teti Garf" wrote:

I have a small patio and trying to plant something interesting but not too
difficult to look after.
I've seen a lovely plant in a gardrning book where is indicated as Ruta
Jackman's Blue. Lovely shade of green, but it seems impossible to find!

On the net is considered as a kind of herb and the foliage are not exactly
as the one in the book.
I wander whether you can advice me on how to finf this plant. I live in
Wales.

Many thanks in advance.

Maria GG

Its probably worth giving a tutorial on how to find any plant available
in the UK. (Well almost any...)

Use the "RHS Plantfinder". You can either get this as a book, published
yearly by Dorling Kindersley - or you can use it online at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp

"To SEARCH ONLINE Simply enter the name of the plant."

In your case Ruta Jackmans will do. It finds one record
which matches :- Ruta Graveolans "Jackman's Blue" 25 Suppliers

Click on "suppliers" and it subdivides them into regions and mail
order suppliers. A click on one of the regions gives a short list
of nurseries that claim to stock the plant and their details.
Pick one that you like the look of and visit it, or phone them up.

Getting back to Jackmans Blue, there aren't actually any suppliers
in Wales, but one each in Worcestershire and Shropshire, and two in
Gloucestershire. There are also 17 mail order.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"michael adams" writes:

| Possibly this doesn't grow true from seed. Most seed catalogues
| carry one or two varieties of rue but not this one it seems, which
| is among the most popular of the decorative rues

In my experience, it does. It self-seeds slightly, and the seedlings
appear true. It is dead easy to take cuttings.

Don't panic over the reaction problems, but don't put it anywhere
that people will get the crushed or cut leaves or stem against
bare skin. And I think that it is attractive, and it can be used
(in VERY small quantities) in cooking.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jenny
I have had a Rue plant for several years - the hoverflies and bees love
its yellow flowers. It does self seed but not too weedy. It was
getting woody so I cut it back and it recovered fine.
I occasionally come out in rashes after cutting plants (leylandii
hedge) but ended up with some large nasty blisters on the backs of my
hands. At the time I did not know what had caused it but later learned
that rue produces a phytoirritant, namely the sap causes a skin
reaction when exposed to light.
I like it as plant, fits well in a naturalistic garden, especially
amongst grasses. Dan Pearson made IMHO an impressive planting at Home
Farm, using rue.
To be honest, the basic rue has a green blue hue to its foliage; the
cultivars are a little more intense and more compact. I personally
would continue to use the species and clip it to keep in shape -
watching the sap getting on my hands.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In my experience, it does. It self-seeds slightly, and the seedlings
appear true. It is dead easy to take cuttings.

Don't panic over the reaction problems, but don't put it anywhere
that people will get the crushed or cut leaves or stem against
bare skin. And I think that it is attractive, and it can be used
(in VERY small quantities) in cooking.

I don't like it in cooking but I do think it's very attractive and an asset
in a natural garden. I have a butler's sink full and it's very popular with
hoverflies and other insects. I've never had a reaction to it, nor has
anyone else in our family and we often crush the leaves in passing for the
scent.

Mary

Old 06-11-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In my experience, it does. It self-seeds slightly, and the seedlings
appear true. It is dead easy to take cuttings.

Don't panic over the reaction problems, but don't put it anywhere
that people will get the crushed or cut leaves or stem against
bare skin. And I think that it is attractive, and it can be used
(in VERY small quantities) in cooking.

I don't like it in cooking but I do think it's very attractive and an
asset in a natural garden. I have a butler's sink full and it's very
popular with hoverflies and other insects. I've never had a reaction to
it, nor has anyone else in our family and we often crush the leaves in
passing for the scent.
Mary

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny

Old 06-11-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think I've ever seen giant hogweed!

Mary
Jenny

Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the skin to
be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin tone
and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the nasty
chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time of year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue due to
the potential problems/litigation.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny

Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the skin
to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin tone
and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the nasty
chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time of
year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue due
to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than blondes
?
Jenny

Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny

Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the skin
to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin tone
and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the nasty
chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time of
year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue due
to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than
blondes ?

LOL! No idea. I have a fair skin and used to be dark haired.

Still am, at the back. Grey everywhere else :-)

Mary

Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny

Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the skin
to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin tone
and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the nasty
chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time of
year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue due
to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than
blondes ?
Jenny

No- at a guess the statistics have been distorted by the fact that the
blondes did not notice that they had a reaction:-)

Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

I'm lucky in that respect too. Never had any reaction to rue or even to
giant hogweed :~)
Jenny
Both Rue and Giant Hogweed contain the same chemical that causes the
skin to be sensitised to UV light.
My theory is that individual susceptibility varies according to skin
tone and to the time of year that you mess with these plants-i.e. the
nasty chemical is only active in higher concentrations at a certain time
of year.
AFAIK most of the commercial garden centres have given up selling Rue
due to the potential problems/litigation.

So do you think that perhaps brunettes have less of a reaction than
blondes ?
Jenny

No- at a guess the statistics have been distorted by the fact that the
blondes did not notice that they had a reaction:-)

A prisoner in jail receives a letter from his wife: "Dear Husband, I have
decided to plant some lettuce in the back garden. When is the best time to
plant them?"

The prisoner, knowing that the prison guards read all mail, replied in a
letter: "Dear Wife, whatever you do, do not touch the back garden. That is
where I hid all the money."

A week or so later, he received another letter from his wife: "Dear Husband,
You wouldn't believe what happened, some men came with shovels to the house,
and dug up all the back garden."

The prisoner wrote another letter back: "Dear wife, now is the best time to
plant the lettuce."

Well at least it's on topic :~)
Jenny

Rue-Thank you Teti Garf United Kingdom 0 07-11-2006 12:49 AM
[IBC] was Rosemary, now rue Kitsune Miko Bonsai 2 04-06-2003 11:44 PM