Old 20-11-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone know their Acacias?

Bob Hobden wrote:
In the UK Mimosa is usually A. dealbata but I too have seen other Wattles
sold as Mimosa in florists, not that most would know the difference,
anything with yellow pompom flowers will do. Albizia julibrissin is the Silk
Tree here and I can't ever say I've seen it for sale anywhere as flowering
stems.
It's actually not grown much in the UK compared to A. dealbata of which
there are some fine examples locally, with the one on St.Anns Hill, Chertsey
being the biggest/best I've seen anywhere. (and yes I have been to Oz)
I think the problem is that they are all called various things in various
places in the world so an internet encyclopaedia will have to list them all
adding to the confusion.

I've got some Albisia's seeds which I've collected from our garden in
France. If you want to have a go Bob I can send you some (Jenny already
has some for her future French house ). Check the link below, at the
bottom left there's an image of seeds I've collected this summer. Some
I've sadly forgot what they are .... just like the proteas I grew last
year, it will be a surprise when they come up )

What is that park you've mentioned? Your park or a public park?

http://cjoint.com/?lumyP6uLV6

Old 20-11-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
not that most would know the difference,
anything with yellow pompom flowers will do. Albizia julibrissin is the Silk
Tree here and I can't ever say I've seen it for sale anywhere as flowering
stems.

I have to say I agree with that Bob, I had a mimosa growing as a mature
tree in my conservatory many years ago. It flowered every Christmas
and as you can imagine, yellow pom-poms everywhere - and I have to
admit to my inexpert knowledge by admitting I have no idea what the
real name was

I think garden centres, this was bought at Notcutts, should give a some
more information when one is purchasing, I cannot remember anying other
the general name on the label. These days I would go to a nursery
where the owners not only sell you a plant, but ensure that you are
informed fully on its history and care before taking it home.

Old 21-11-2006, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Farm1" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied

In the UK Mimosa is usually A. dealbata but I too have seen other

Wattles
sold as Mimosa in florists, not that most would know the difference,
anything with yellow pompom flowers will do.

One of my mob then. :-)) Yellow pom-poms means it's wattle or what
you lot call mimosa.

Albizia julibrissin is the Silk
Tree here

Yeah same here - and dodgy - tends to get borers and dies at the drop
of a hat. A bit too cold for it here.

It's actually not grown much in the UK compared to A. dealbata of

which
there are some fine examples locally, with the one on St.Anns Hill,

Chertsey
being the biggest/best I've seen anywhere. (and yes I have been to

Oz)

I would think it hasn't been there for long given how short lived
wattles usually are.

The wattles probably are thuggish over your neck of the woods, they

don't
tend to be here. :-)

I think you treat them too well in the UK. The natural thing for
acacias is to be pioneer species and to put nitrogen into the soil and
then to produce 64 squillion seeds and then to die off quickly (and
then to be a further thug and blunt chainsaw teeth when chopped for
fire wood). All the Oz plants I've seen in the UK look too well
looked after.

Old 21-11-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:55:41 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 18/11/06 21:25, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions, but I think I've found it. It's almost
certainly Albizia lophantha aka Paraserianthese lophantha aka Cape
Wattle. Google images brings up lots of pictures that confirm it.

Ah. Not a mimosa, then. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

To be fair it used to be!! untill they renamed it (twice) to tender for me
here outside but Chris ought to be ok

Someone called 'Maurice in Scotland', posting on gardenweb, says there
is an Albizia Lophantha growing at Arduaine that has survived -6C.
At the risk of directing urglers towards the 'enemy', it's he
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/l...4316081.html?3
and scroll down a bit through the a. julibrissin stuff.

As we haven't had lower than -3C here in the last few years, I shall
certainly give it a try.

--
Chris