Old 20-11-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slightly OT

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 La Puce wrote:

Bought the Boutinot 'Old Git' for a friend's birthday (on
recommendation). Returned and bought 5 more bottles, I liked it very
much indeed, whether or not there's a picture of err... an old git on
it ))

I bought some with the label "****e-dru" and it was fine.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 20-11-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

OTOH Le Troubadour from Chateau Romanin has a rather sickly (to my mind) pic
of a languid lady and gent on it but I know it's a delicious wine, as is
Cloudy Bay with a mountain scape on the label and a setting (or rising) sun
on their Pelorus and Fetzer with a tree and a vineyard. ;-)

Oh my Goodnes, Cloudy Bay, (New Zealand, Sauvignon Blance or
Chardonnay) - Heavenly but also with a hellish price. I can't afford
to drink Cloudy Bay too often, even if I could get it, it is a small
production and difficult to get at a reasonable price. Jackson Estate
@ £9.99 at Sainsbury's comes a very, very close second and it is the
most marvellous, gooseberry smelling nectar I have ever tasted and that
includes wines from the best vineyards and appelation controlee in
France or indeed elsewhere - of course, it is a matter of taste and my
husband would disagree awith my choice, he would poo poo this and say
that a good Burgundy by Bouchard, Pere et Fils is far superior - all it
really proves is that a wine is good only if you enjoy it and I have
enjoyed wines that cost the minimum.

Old 20-11-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote ...

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Sue and I don't like heavily oaked wines (do people really like their wine
tasting of sawdust?) so a lot of the new world wines which tend to be
heavily oaked (they use oak chippings in their stainless steel vats!) are
horrid to our taste. We also don't like the Chardonnay grape, makes an
"oily" wine.
We tend to go for French reds, Cotes de Rhone (Cellier de Dauphine is cheap
and very drinkable), Boujoulais Village (Negocient - Louis Jadot, is
excellent value), Fleurie, Margaux, Volney and St.Emilion (the last two are
overpriced and over hyped these days IMO).
Whites and Rose we buy from New Hall Vineyard in Essex (biggest acreage of
vines in the UK), has that superb and distinctive English wine taste
(because the vines are under stress in our climate?) that no other white
wine seems to be able to match. He makes Dry, Medium Dry and Sparkling as
well as Light Red (Rose) and Red.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-11-2006, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 La Puce wrote:

Bought the Boutinot 'Old Git' for a friend's birthday (on
recommendation). Returned and bought 5 more bottles, I liked it very
much indeed, whether or not there's a picture of err... an old git on
it ))

I bought some with the label "****e-dru" and it was fine.

I used to drink an excellent Aussie shiraz called 'willy-willy'. Can't
remember what was on the label ...

Old 20-11-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Sue and I don't like heavily oaked wines (do people really like their wine
tasting of sawdust?)

Nor me Bob that's why I like a Sauvignon Blanc rather than a
Chardonnay.

Fleurie, Margaux, Volney and St.Emilion (the last two are
overpriced

Now you're talikng, but I find Margaux quite expensive and more
expensive than St. Emilion.
Did you know that the Margaux grape is the only French "real" grape
left. All the others were lost some years ago to some disease and
America and Australia had to send back to France cuttings of their
original vines? Margaux only survived because it was an enclosed
vineyard.

I have a friend who owns a share in a British vineyard, they make an
excellent "Champagne" also it can't be called that because it is not
made in the Champagne region of France. It won an award during blind
tastings, in France!! It's called Nytimber and was served to the Queen
at a dinner last year.

Old 20-11-2006, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

"MikeCT" wrote in message
Whilst searching out a few wines for Christmas, I was advised not to
consider any bottles with plants, animals or birds on the label. Those

with
would undoubtedly be naff. Don't say you haven't been warned!

What nonsense! 'Il Papavero', for example, is an excellent wine (e.g.
Sunday
Times Wine Club's most re-ordered red wine for the past three years) and
has
a picture of a poppy on the label.

My advice, FWIW, would be to resist being influenced by the appearance of
the label, regardless of what is or isn't depicted on it, and to try the
wine, if possible, before you buy.

If you are not just looking for the odd bottle places like Majestic wine
warehouse and oddbinns do regular tastings. I certainly enjoyed a cote du
rhone with a picture of a donkey on the label, although that might have been
symptomatic.

Gill M

Old 21-11-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BAC wrote:
I used to drink an excellent Aussie shiraz called 'willy-willy'. Can't
remember what was on the label ...

Surely not. Years ago we found a wine with our family name on it. My
uncle searched the area (Dordogne/Aquitaine) and found that the chap
was a cousin of his dad (my grand dad) and had a Medoc appellation. We
all got really excited and bought lots of bottles - we're a very very
big family, so we made that long lost cousin a small fortune. I don't
really know what happened, but the wine was terrible - as thick as
cough mixture and so heavy and bitter, it would induce a red nose just
by sniffing it. I still have a bottle, which I show to friends proudly,
and just say it's got to mature another year, at least ... ;o)

Old 21-11-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote
I have a friend who owns a share in a British vineyard, they make an
excellent "Champagne" also it can't be called that because it is not
made in the Champagne region of France. It won an award during blind
tastings, in France!! It's called Nytimber and was served to the Queen
at a dinner last year.

Sssh. Don't let everyone know how good most English wines are, they are
expensive enough already. :-)

It's our climate, I understand the French are now buying up English
vineyards because theirs are getting too hot in summer.

http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/ is where we get our whites.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 21-11-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"judith lea" wrote
I have a friend who owns a share in a British vineyard, they make an
excellent "Champagne" also it can't be called that because it is not
made in the Champagne region of France. It won an award during blind
tastings, in France!! It's called Nytimber and was served to the Queen
at a dinner last year.

Sssh. Don't let everyone know how good most English wines are, they are
expensive enough already. :-)

It's our climate, I understand the French are now buying up English
vineyards because theirs are getting too hot in summer.

http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/ is where we get our whites.

Halfpenny Green vineyard

http://www.halfpenny-green-vineyards.co.uk/

has some good wines, and the only English white wine vinegar, which is
excellent.

Old 21-11-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BAC
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"judith lea" wrote
I have a friend who owns a share in a British vineyard, they make an
excellent "Champagne" also it can't be called that because it is not
made in the Champagne region of France. It won an award during blind
tastings, in France!! It's called Nytimber and was served to the Queen
at a dinner last year.

Sssh. Don't let everyone know how good most English wines are, they are
expensive enough already. :-)

It's our climate, I understand the French are now buying up English
vineyards because theirs are getting too hot in summer.

http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/ is where we get our whites.

Halfpenny Green vineyard

http://www.halfpenny-green-vineyards.co.uk/

has some good wines, and the only English white wine vinegar, which is
excellent.

Carr & Bury used to do lovely wines but that is twenty years ago! We
don't drink much of the white but that was lovely.
--
June Hughes