Old 19-12-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can You Store Apples in an Open Barn?

I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage. My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

Old 19-12-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage.
My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing
apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

:-))

The birds and wild life will love those over the course of the winter :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 19-12-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Davy
writes
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage. My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

No. You will attract all sorts of vermin. Many years ago, I used to
store apples through the winter in old, washed pairs of nylon stockings
or tights. Just rub the apples over with lard or similar fat first, then
drop them in the stockings, tying a knot in the stocking between each
apple. You can then hang them from your shed ceiling without having to
move your tools. If one goes bad, you can just cut the stocking where
the knot is, so that the ones alongside don't suffer.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-12-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage.

My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing

apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

Yes, but you will need to mouse proof it, they prefer eaters but will nibble
everything and like children will not finish one before starting the next!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-12-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:58:10 +0000, Davy wrote:

I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage. My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

********************************
Gardening is very dangerous! Don't do what I did! I have been on about an
apple shed as we had at home...a small hut with slated shelves but no
luck here. We have some Bramley apples too many. We have offered them to
all and sundry who are too lazy to peel and cook them being apparently a
ready meal lot...Anyway I decided the apples must be saved at all costs as
they're totally organic and free.

My save the apples campaign led to many
many apple cakes, apple crumbles made with oats and nuts (too delicious
for words) apple everything including dorset cake etc. Result I have added
several pounds to my weight as have the others in the house now I have to
do mad exercises to get the extra weight off:-)

Why can't you shut off the front of the barn then your fruit would be
safe. You can get lots of free bits and pieces from builders who would
apparently have to pay for it to be taken away by some specially
qualifed person :-(

We made a huge greenhouse for £200. A builder was pulling down an arcade
of shops and gave us all the wood. We just had to buy the ridged perspex.
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans for
the garden
************************************

Old 19-12-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Davy" wrote in message
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage.

My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing

apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

Yes, but you will need to mouse proof it, they prefer eaters but will nibble
everything and like children will not finish one before starting the next!

You are welcome to come and look at my sprouts to see that, almost
everyone nibbled and none completely eaten. For the first time for
years I am going to have to buy some, sprouts that is.

--
Please do not reply to the
email address as all post
Old 19-12-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Davy
writes
[...]

You have got me worried, I usually store mine in the shed, individually
wrapped in newspaper, and so far, thank goodness, I haven't noticed any
trouble, but I will go out in the morning to check them!

I have had mice in the greenhouse, eating my walnuts!

Alan

--
June Hughes

Old 19-12-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

[...]

If your shed has a door, Alan, I am sure they will be OK, unless of
course rats or mice eat through the floor.

Old 20-12-2006, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I have planted some apple trees and will need to arrange winter storage.
My
shed is rather full of tools but attached to it is a small open-fronted
barn. I am thinking of putting some shelves in the barn and storing
apples
in trays on the shelves.
The barn gets the morning sun and has no heat. Will it be suitable for
storing apples?

thanks in advance,

Davy

I think they would get caught by frost............
jenny

Old 20-12-2006, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote
snipped
We made a huge greenhouse for £200. A builder was pulling down an arcade
of shops and gave us all the wood. We just had to buy the ridged perspex.
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans for
the garden

Ah ha - do tell us more. I too have plans in that direction if/when we go to
France......
I'm thinking ferro cement constructions......or maybe welded
pieces.............
jenny

Old 20-12-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The general consensus is that the rats/mice will get the apples if stored in
an open-fronted barn. But that would also would preclude storing them in a
shed since their is no way my shed could be rat/mice proof. Most houses are
not mice proof.
Agree?
Davy

Old 21-12-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:44:39 +0100, JennyC wrote:

"Welsh Witch" wrote
snipped
We made a huge greenhouse for £200. A builder was pulling down an arcade
of shops and gave us all the wood. We just had to buy the ridged perspex.
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans for
the garden

Ah ha - do tell us more. I too have plans in that direction if/when we go to
France......
I'm thinking ferro cement constructions......or maybe welded
pieces.............
jenny

The only "more" I can tell you is here
http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/witchsgardenmarch02.htm
My partner you can see made the greenhouse. Down the righthand side I had
a railway sleeper which with great determination and self denial I moved
myself from the top of the garden/ Then I filled the space with compost to
experiment with growing various veg. through the winter.

Not a successful result...they all grew but not in the quantity...so I
decided to take out the compost and fill it with sand! My daughter is a
help and not a help to the sculpture. She lectures in art and political
history and has lots of instructions for me which include wire/chicken
wire etc to use as a base.
But I had I thought a better idea:-) I wanted to make a couple of
classical god type figures so when Littlewoods was closing down in the
town I asked them how much they wanted for their mannequins. They are
normally very expensive! I had a male and a female... one was £50 and the
other they let me have for £10 as they were hot and bothered with the
moving.
I now propose to wedge them into the sand in the greenhouse to make an
impression line it with plastic and then fill it with cement. "You wont be
able to lift it" everyone's crowing...we'll see!

Not strictly ethical but I want some statues I can't possibly afford at
the moment... to be ethical is not my greatest ambition:-)
Lots of the family are talking about moving to France...ooooh I don't know
about leaving this country I would be terribly afraid of others moving in
and taking it all over and then we couldn't ever come back.

Old 21-12-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:44:39 +0100, JennyC wrote:
I am hoping to be able to make it share space with my sculpture plans
for
the garden

Ah ha - do tell us more. I too have plans in that direction if/when we go
France......
I'm thinking ferro cement constructions......or maybe welded
pieces............. jenny

The only "more" I can tell you is here
http://www.walk-wales.org.uk/witchsgardenmarch02.htm
My partner you can see made the greenhouse. Down the righthand side I had
a railway sleeper which with great determination and self denial I moved
myself from the top of the garden/ Then I filled the space with compost to
experiment with growing various veg. through the winter.

WOW - its huge :~))
Can see you've done a LOT of work on the garden.
Got any pictures after dec 2004 ?

Not a successful result...they all grew but not in the quantity...so I
decided to take out the compost and fill it with sand! My daughter is a
help and not a help to the sculpture. She lectures in art and political
history and has lots of instructions for me which include wire/chicken
wire etc to use as a base.

Have a look at these:
http://www.ferrocement.com/ - technique (lots of big structures but you'll
get the idea)
http://www.deborahswhitman.net/ferro.html examples of sculptures

But I had I thought a better idea:-) I wanted to make a couple of
classical god type figures so when Littlewoods was closing down in the
town I asked them how much they wanted for their mannequins. They are
normally very expensive! I had a male and a female... one was £50 and the
other they let me have for £10 as they were hot and bothered with the
moving.
I now propose to wedge them into the sand in the greenhouse to make an
impression line it with plastic and then fill it with cement. "You wont be
able to lift it" everyone's crowing...we'll see!

Brilliant idea. We have a glass sculpture made like that. The sculptress
laid down and made an impression of herself in sand. She then poured molten
(recycled) glass into the indenture. The effect is stunning and hangs nicely
on our chimney breast :~))

You can make a mould of both sides and fit them together. You'll get a sort
of rough 'weathered finish if you don't use plastic, but pour straight into
the sand.

Not strictly ethical but I want some statues I can't possibly afford at
the moment... to be ethical is not my greatest ambition:-)

indeed :~))

Lots of the family are talking about moving to France...ooooh I don't know
about leaving this country I would be terribly afraid of others moving in
and taking it all over and then we couldn't ever come back.

Bit of a globetrotter me........I haven't lived in the Uk for at least 35
years, so doesn't really apply !!

Jenny