Old 29-12-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Outlook Express

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to

do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error

message
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on

another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):

No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

This page gives the error code reasons
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/oe_errors.html

Also useful is
http://www.idl.uk.com/email/isp_settings.htm

Although on standard BT email server set-up I use mail.btinternet.com for
Pop and SMTP

Many thanks the page at least confirms I was using the correct server names
(I was beginning to wonder!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-12-2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
.. I am still puzzled as
to what can have changed to stop the 'pop3btconnect' working.

It probably has nothing to do with you at all but with the DNS
server computer at your ISP which stores all the details of names
and numbers.

People are often complaining of not being able to access particular
sites and this is often because some details in their ISP 's
cache (store) have become corrupt for some reason. However these
problems seem to go away after a bit, and you're not the only person
who's had problems accessing a POP3 maibox recently.

michael adams

Old 29-12-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
. I am still puzzled as
to what can have changed to stop the 'pop3btconnect' working.

It probably has nothing to do with you at all but with the DNS
server computer at your ISP which stores all the details of names
and numbers.

People are often complaining of not being able to access particular
sites and this is often because some details in their ISP 's
cache (store) have become corrupt for some reason. However these
problems seem to go away after a bit, and you're not the only person
who's had problems accessing a POP3 maibox recently.

michael adams

Thank you for that - I was starting to take it personally :~))
Hope you are not being as battered as us down here, absolutely foul outside!

Old 29-12-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Wet but much warmer than normal here in West London. I saw a chap
walking around in knee length shorts on Boxing day. Any excuse
for some people I suppose.

I have a rose bud (smallish admittedly) about to open (I hope)
on one of the bushes in the front garden. I leave the hips etc
on over winter for the birds.

michael adams

Old 29-12-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:41:28 -0000
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[]
Many thanks it worked straight away. I know at this point I should be happy!
but why did the problem occur, any idea?

Hard to say why; these things happen once in a while. Could be a problem
with the DNS or the broadcast when it got it's last update.

I actually leave the direct IP in these fields, because it avoids interruptions
and is a tad faster; no lookup necessary.

Anyway, glad I could help. Now back to shivering in the old stone house
and waiting for the power to go out in the gale...

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom