Old 28-12-2006, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Outlook Express

Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error message I
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-12-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that
: you have entered the server name correctly. Account:
: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3,
: Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:
: 0x800CCC0D

Try ticking the box 'My server requires authentication' under
options/accounts. I had a similar problem with BT although not with
BTConnect. When I upgraded they changed my default mail so that it would
show that it was genuinely from my email

Old 28-12-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error message
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Check your User Name is still correct, it's case sensitive I believe, and
then delete the remembered password and re-enter the correct one.
Let us know if this doesn't cure it.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-12-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
[...]

Just found this on their site, hope it helps...
Errors ...

a.. 0x800CCC0D CANT_FIND_HOST Cannot locate server
b.. 0x800CCC0F CONNECTION_DROPPED Connection closed

.... both occur when your computer cannot establish or maintain a connection
to the email server.

If you get either of these errors, please firstly check the relevant Service
Status page - Broadband or Narrowband - as they can occur if our mail server
is not working properly.

If there are no reported problems on the Service Status pages, you will need
to establish that your email settings are correct:

Outlook Express (PC)
Outlook Express (Mac)
Outlook

Once you have done this, you should check the settings of any Anti-Virus or
Firewall software on your computer (Norton Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm or
similar).

You need to configure your Firewall/Anti-virus software to allow access to
the following files:

a.. For Outlook Express: Msimn.exe
b.. For Outlook: Outlook.exe

If this problem persists, please refer to the supplier of your Anti-virus or
Firewall software.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-12-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Check your User Name is still correct, it's case sensitive I believe, and
then delete the remembered password and re-enter the correct one.
Let us know if this doesn't cure it.

That could be the problem. Sometimes the ISP just refuses access.
Going online and resetting you password might do the trick.

It is highly unlikely that two computers are wrong.

By be able to access newsgroups proves that your connection is OK.

Old 28-12-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Check your User Name is still correct, it's case sensitive I believe,

I have copied and pasted it from the email as well as trying it direct, its
not that (unless they have changed it and not told me!)

and
then delete the remembered password and re-enter the correct one.

Done that as well but no joy

Let us know if this doesn't cure it.

Just found this on their site, hope it helps...
Errors ...

a.. 0x800CCC0D CANT_FIND_HOST Cannot locate server
b.. 0x800CCC0F CONNECTION_DROPPED Connection closed

... both occur when your computer cannot establish or maintain a

connection
to the email server.

If you get either of these errors, please firstly check the relevant

Service
Status page - Broadband or Narrowband - as they can occur if our mail

server
is not working properly.

The service page has something about maintainance on the 7th of Dec but I
was ok untill the 20th

If there are no reported problems on the Service Status pages, you will

need
to establish that your email settings are correct:

Outlook Express (PC)
Outlook Express (Mac)
Outlook

I am sure that it cant be the above I have checked it all so many times now

Once you have done this, you should check the settings of any Anti-Virus

or
Firewall software on your computer (Norton Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm or
similar).

I was suspicious of the firewall when changing to broadband and getting the
network up and running, so I uninstalled it, as the hub has its own which is
still running.
Yesterday I tried uninstalling the virus checker and redoing all the mail
settings, no joy, so its not that.

You need to configure your Firewall/Anti-virus software to allow access to
the following files:

a.. For Outlook Express: Msimn.exe
b.. For Outlook: Outlook.exe

If this problem persists, please refer to the supplier of your Anti-virus

or
Firewall software.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Many thanks for giving up your time to try and help

Old 28-12-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Yes its ticked as per their instructions, its very frustrating as all was
well for 3 months! my original email is still working fine!!

Old 28-12-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:26:08 -0000
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error message I
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Charlie, for some reason your local service nameserver is not finding this
host; that is, it cannot translate between the text and and IP address.

None the less the host exists, and I can look it up here. It's IP address is
"213.123.26.23" . Try taking everthing within the quotes and substituting
it for the pop3.btconnect.com. Should work, or at least get you to the
next problem.

If you are not able to connect to _any_ pop3 server, you have a more
serious problem. Like a bad firewall setting, perhaps.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 28-12-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just
one particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what
to do about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error
message I get. (the fault is constant on this account, but
intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that
you have entered the server name correctly. Account:
'pop3.btconnect.com', Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number:
0x800CCC0D

Having read your replies to other posters and ruled out the obvious ones
like firewall and antivirus, along with incorrect user/pass, there remains
one other possibility and that is a corrupted email on the server, if you
have a webmail facility on your ISP's homepage where you can log in rather
than go through outlook express, you can delete anything in there that might
be causing the problem and try again, if you don't have a webmail facility,
then you can telnet in, which is slightly more complex, and delete any
offending articles which may have 'blocked the pipe' as it were.

Old 28-12-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:41:45 +0000, Phil L wrote
(in article ):

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Or you can check most (all?) email accounts through mail2web:
http://www.mail2web.com/ which is very useful for unblocking a rogue email.
Just type in your email address and password to check your mail from anywhere
in the world.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 29-12-2006, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
look at this solution first. check setting such as SMTP or SMPT ? POP3
without any spaces. I have made that mistake (once)

Then try this and post back here if not working.

a.. Click the Start button then RUN type in cmd on (Windows NT/2000/XP) or
Command (Windows 95/98/ME). This will open a new command prompt window, with
white text on a black screen.

a.. Type in the following exactly as it appears. You will not see what you
are entering so take it slowly, and if you make a mistake, start again.
telnet pop3.btconnect.com' and then click the Enter key on your keyboard.
You will then be connected to the email server.

a.. Type in USER followed by your email address e.g. USER ********and then
click the Enter key. You will then get a message +OK Please enter your pass,
with the PASS command

a.. Type in PASS followed by your password e.g. PASS joblog0370 and click
the Enter key. If it is correct, you will get an OK Well done message.

a.. If you can do this, you have connected to the bt server and so the
problem lies somewhere with Outlook Express.

This problem can be caused by antivirus software changing settings such as
ports.
If running windows XP click start, all programmes, accessories, command
prompt
and type in ping pop3.btconnect.com and see what happens.
What antivirus are you using,? which operating system ?

Now look here for microsoft assistance with outlook express.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
sorry about long post hope it doesnt upset anyone.
regards
Cineman

Old 29-12-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Way off topic but this is driving me nuts!
Having huge problems with connecting to pop3 mail servers (not just one
particular one). and its affecting both computers.
Anyone who has any thoughts on what can suddenly cause this and what to do
about it, I would be delighted to hear from them!
Sending emails and newsgroups are unaffected.
I have tried deleting and redoing the accounts, this is the error message
get. (the fault is constant on this account, but intermittent on another)

The host 'pop3.btconnect.com' could not be found. Please verify that you
have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com',
Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

This page gives the error code reasons
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/oe_errors.html

Also useful is
http://www.idl.uk.com/email/isp_settings.htm

Although on standard BT email server set-up I use mail.btinternet.com for
Pop and SMTP

Old 29-12-2006, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Many thanks it worked straight away. I know at this point I should be happy!
but why did the problem occur, any idea?

Old 29-12-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

al.net...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

I have now used the server number and received all the back log messages. I
can use web mail and was able to access my account that way the whole time.
I did not realise that a blockage could occur and will bear it in mind in
the future. I normally use mailwasher but that was also being blocked with
the normal server name.
Many thanks for all your help.

Old 29-12-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Hasn't upset me! I am just grateful for all the help. Emery has sorted the
immediate problem by supplying the number for the server which both my
Outlook Express and Mailwasher have been happy to use. I am still puzzled as
to what can have changed to stop the 'pop3btconnect' working.
I am using Win98SE and AVG 7 with up dates, which is about the only thing I
remember doing prior to the problem and why I removed it and tried again. I
have now put it back on, as it did not make things any better!