Old 20-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And again!

Last night was pretty windy - second or third night in a row - I'm losing
track now and now the wind is building up again, after a fairly calm day.
This seems to be the pattern over the last few days. That surely cannot be
explained by katabatic winds at this time of year, surely?!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-01-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Last night was pretty windy - second or third night in a row - I'm losing
track now and now the wind is building up again, after a fairly calm day.
This seems to be the pattern over the last few days. That surely cannot be
explained by katabatic winds at this time of year, surely?!

Hmm. Katabatic winds can occur - particularly where you have sudden
cooling at the top of hills etc. following a relatively mild day. Your
proximity to the moors may the reason for this since cooled air at high
altitude travels downwards as it increases in density.

Old 20-01-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Winter is forecast here for the coming week with minimums down to -5C.

Totally devastated here - we're waiting for a tree surgeon tomorrow
morning to cut down our eucalyptus tree. It's leaning really bad but
hasn't crashed into the neighbours house yet. I spent 2 hours trying to
find someone, two tree surgeons I know weren't available, found one
company out of 8 I rang, all so busy, only one gang came today and said
I needed a platform as it is too dangerous to climb the tree. With luck
the tree will still lean by Monday morning when the platform will
arrive (the latest tuesday they said). It already has taken the
neighbours tv arial and the wind has picked up again. We've taken the
risk of keeping that tree and now we're paying for it. I'm so so upset
about loosing it ...

Will the wood burn well in my open fire if I use it? I've never burn
eucalyptus before.

Old 20-01-2007, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:21:58 +0000, Sacha

wrote:

Last night was pretty windy - second or third night in a row - I'm losing
track now and now the wind is building up again, after a fairly calm day.
This seems to be the pattern over the last few days. That surely cannot
be
explained by katabatic winds at this time of year, surely?!

4 times in 10 days in Zuid Holland. It's Armageddon.

OTOH a storm of Thursday's strength has occurred 52 times in the
Netherlands the
last 100 years, The last one was in 2002 so Thursday's storm was overdue,
even
if the previous Thursday's storm wasn;t quite up to this Thursday's storm.

Winter is forecast here for the coming week with minimums down to -5C.
Martin

We lost a pane of glass from the GH. BUT the chap was round to fix it within
3 hours of us calling the insurance people :~)
Good thing as it looks as if it will indeed turn cold next week.
Jenny

Old 20-01-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin wrote:
[...]

Commiserations with the tree loss :~(
Isn't eucalyptus sort of oily - it might 'spit' in the fire ?
Where are the aussie posters when you need them :~)
Jenny

Old 20-01-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Commiserations with the tree loss :~(

Ta. I think I'm going to drown my sorows in a pint of Kro in a couple
of hours ... I'll take pictures. Of the tree, not me drowining in
fermented hops. Quite ridiculously I was on my way to 'mock interview'
a neighbour about her garden as part of an exercise in my garden design
course when I noticed the tree!. Well, we laughed ...

Isn't eucalyptus sort of oily - it might 'spit' in the fire ?

That's what I thought. When I burn bits of pine from David's carpentry
jobs, it either spooks us with the spits, burn a hole in a cushion or
send one of our cats screaming. Maybe I'll make sculptures .... little
stools ... to cry on (

Where are the aussie posters when you need them :~)

In bed at this time I'd expect. Central Oz is flooded too. Rivers are
bursting - some people have never seen this in a life time apparently.

Old 20-01-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/1/07 16:46, in article
, "NO X-POSTERS
PERLEEZ" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Last night was pretty windy - second or third night in a row - I'm losing
track now and now the wind is building up again, after a fairly calm day.
This seems to be the pattern over the last few days. That surely cannot be
explained by katabatic winds at this time of year, surely?!

Hmm. Katabatic winds can occur - particularly where you have sudden
cooling at the top of hills etc. following a relatively mild day. Your
proximity to the moors may the reason for this since cooled air at high
altitude travels downwards as it increases in density.

Good heavens - didn't recognise you! Yes, I suppose that IS possible. It's
not been really cold here for quite a time (56F yesterday) and the moor will
certainly be a few degrees lower. I've only really experienced the
katabatic thing on a boat in e.g. Greece or Turkey, where the wind blows
furiously at about 5pm for about 20 minutes or so, sending the g&t's of the
unwary in all directions. ;-) I hadn't really thought it might happen here
or not in winter, anyway. OTOH, it's still blowing a bit, so perhaps it's
just another rotten gale on its way.
Snowdrops are out in various parts of the garden - I think they're early but
Ray says he's seen them this early some years ago and by way of a total
contrast the Solandra nitida in the small double is flowering for the first
time ever - amazing sight.

Old 20-01-2007, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

Good heavens - didn't recognise you!

I had been playing with a nickname and forgot to change it back.

..............................but
Ray says he's seen them this early some years ago and by way of a total
contrast the Solandra nitida in the small double is flowering for the first
time ever - amazing sight.

I'm sorely tempted to try that here, but I need a strong trellis to
support it. It's a magnificent climber, well done.

Old 21-01-2007, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote re Solandra:

It's interesting in that it has buds all the way along the branches which
are still quite tight but this one huge flower starting from the tip.
Presumably it will then bloom all the way up the branches, opening one after
the other?

Yes, it's odd that some plants start flowering in the opposite way to
which we expect. It's been quite a few years (a couple of decades
even) since I last grew Solandra and I can't remember it doing that.
However that is not to say it didn't happen. There are plants in my
garden that flower 'last bud first' every year and they always catch me
by surprise. Oh for those days of perfect recall and 20:20 vision!

David

Old 21-01-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

We had a big thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

Been out for a drive this afternoon, and we ran into a hailstorm!

Alan